Our forum migration to Discourse will be going on starting late today June 19 to 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post here for more information https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/319354/well-be-moving-the-forums-to-discourse-heres-the-scoop/
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Does PMP support HDR video playback?

124»

Answers

• stevenhastevenha Posts: 189Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Looks like mvp issue #5161 may be relevant

• PottypotsworthPottypotsworth Posts: 136Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Nice investigation there @stevenha. It looks like the guy over at MVP (as per your link) are aware of the "issue" but don't seem ready to quickly implement a solution :(

It's kind of amusing how much of a difficult time all these players are having with something that is supposed to be standardised, and is pretty mainstream now.

• stevenhastevenha Posts: 189Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Indeed, it doesn't help how Microsoft has pushed out their so called HDR support which is nothing short of an utter joke.

@stevenha said:
    Indeed, it doesn't help how Microsoft has pushed out their so called HDR support which is nothing short of an utter joke.

Yeah, don't get me started! That's why I am loving MadVR with Pot Player since I just keep the desktop on SDR and MadVR sends the TV a HDR signal upon a full screen HDR movie being loaded.

• ced0072ced0072 Posts: 70Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Agreed with all of you!
    Now most players find a way to handle HDR, Plex should start working on it for PMP...
    In the meantime, they should allow the use of an external player which could, for example, launch a player of our choice (PowerDVD, VLC, Pot Player, MpcHc...) for videos of a specific collection (4K HDR).

Windows 10 64bits
    Core i7 4770K, 16G RAM, Asus GTX1060
    PMS and PMP
    LG OLED 65C6V
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Focal Dome 5.1 Speakers

One thing I noticed tonight whilst playing around with HDR movies again is that Plex doesn't just not play HDR but it forces HDR to have really bad artifacting, almost like bad JPG compression. I tested out a movie in Plex and then in Potplayer with MADVR, the latter is crystal clear but the former has really poor pixelation blocks on things like clouds or white backgrounds.

A very large portion of 4K movies are being released with HDR, Plex isn't even an option for playing them as it actually makes them look worse when Windows is set to HDR mode. I feel like this really should be addressed despite the underlying problem being with MVP before Plex really starts lagging behind.

• dan-the-man-dan-the-man- Posts: 453Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Pottypotsworth said:
    the latter is crystal clear but the former has really poor pixelation blocks on things like clouds or white backgrounds.

yep especially the clouds it does exactly that

• onekmilesbehindonekmilesbehind Posts: 103Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm going through the same problem right now, and I don't think much can be done in PMP until MPV figures out its stance on HDR. HDR is a hot mess on the consumer PC front, so I can sympathize with the devs taking some time to figure out a clean, functional implementation. Hopefully that's soon though, because as you noted @Pottypotsworth, they're lagging behind, which is a shame because MPV has otherwise been tremendous in my experience.

I've just encoded my first HDR rip in x265 (preserving that metadata is FUN) and was able to get more or less functional auto-HDR using MPC-HC with madVR. The next step is to get Kodi + the Plex addon configured because Kodi should at least let me use an external player. If PMP added support for that, I don't think I'd have the need to dabble with Kodi at all.

• EthanBBEthanBB Posts: 1Members

So, today I went on a journey to test HDR in PMP, as most information is pretty contradictory.

I tested PMP on Windows and on Samsung KU6000 TV. The file used is MKV with HDR10 in H265.
    I first tested the file in TV by having it loaded on USB stick, and playing on integrated Samsung video player. It detected the file, and played with HDR tag on without any problem.
    Afterwards I loaded Plex app on TV, played the file ... and there is no way to check if HDR is onb in the app, so I took photos with locked AE & AF to check the colors ... and It's fine, picture is the same.
    Just for fun I also loaded PMP on Windows 10 with only SDR screen connected, and to my surprise, PMP on Windows correctly tone-maps the video, to match how it roughly should look in SDR.
    VLC doesn't tone-map the video at all, so colors are too dark and washed out.

Comparison photos and screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/sgNugg4

• dan-the-man-dan-the-man- Posts: 453Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 8

The Tone Mapping done when a HDR file is been played, is not always correct, it depends on the scene, in some cases it can be horrible,

its annoying enough i just avoid any HDR files currently.

Playing the same HDR file in PMP and then on the inbuilt video app on the tv which natively supports HDR, it really is a huge difference

i would literally judge it like this

PMP or mpv standlone with 4k-HDR-10bit movie - 5 out of 10
    inbuilt TV video app with same 4k-HDR-10bit movie - 10 out of 10

@dan-the-man- said:
    The Tone Mapping done when a HDR file is been played, is not always correct, it depends on the scene, in some cases it can be horrible,

its annoying enough i just avoid any HDR files currently.

Playing the same HDR file in PMP and then on the inbuilt video app on the tv which natively supports HDR, it really is a huge difference

i would literally judge it like this

PMP or mpv standlone with 4k-HDR-10bit movie - 5 out of 10
    inbuilt TV video app with same 4k-HDR-10bit movie - 10 out of 10

I agree 100%, just put Dunkirk (2017) on and you'll turn it off about 5 minutes in after wondering what the hell is going on with the beach.

This is my main issue with PMP and MPV right now. It is not that "oh we can't get it working with this cutting edge technology", it is that the meta data simply needs to be passed through to the TV. What it is doing right now is making the video un-watchable in many cases. Literally every moderate size movie release now comes out on Bluray 4K HDR, this is now mainstream tech, not something on the horizon.

124»