Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

iOS app appears to be buffering on local content

sawyemsawyem Posts: 18Members ✭✭

Anyone else having this problem? While playing music synced to my iPhone 6 the app occasionally pauses and displays the spinning icon, seeming as if its buffering. I'm using the current version 4.4

Comments

• arobe79arobe79 Posts: 230Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am getting the same issue with music.
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/241220/how-do-i-get-the-plex-app-to-use-synced-content-over-streaming#latest
    Do you have "prefer locally stored files" checked?
    I do and it still seems to stream my content.

Plex Media Server Intel G540 CPU 2.50 GHZ 2M CACHE 2.5 2 LGA 1155 Processor, Windows 10, Apple TV 4 X 2, iOS

• sawyemsawyem Posts: 18Members ✭✭

I have that checked but it's definitely not streaming my content as I have this problem away from my network when my server is not reachable.

Any developers care to comment? This is still happening and now I'm finding pauses due to network connections cause playing audio to not only pause but then to start skipping and repeating sections as if playback is loosing sync.

• chaosmakerchaosmaker Posts: 350Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've had the same problem. I believe it happens due to Plex calling home telling the server where it currently is, especially when moving in between low signal areas or switching between Wifi and network it has to re-login or something and hence it buffers - super annoying.... Easiest workaround I found is either turning off wifi (if I know that moving between network and wifi is going to cause an issue) or just putting my phone in airplane mode to turn of any interference... then it works great.
    Maybe @sa2000 could comment - been active quite a lot in this forum lately?

• MeikosMeikos Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass ✭✭

Same here, listening synced music without deactivating wifi is just impossible, it keeps buffering even having the "Prefer Synced Content" option enabled.
    Plex Build: 9741

Come on guys, this issue was first reported on October 2016 and it's still ongoing, is this the kind of premium support you get as part of the plex pass? Looks like @drzoidberg33 looked into this but was not able to reproduce the issue. I'm facing this every single day when commuting from/to work using the underground, as every station has wifi, plex starts buffering and synced musing stutters when arriving/leaving each station. It is really annoying.

Plex Pass subscription cancelled, after several years as a loyal subscriber. Six months and not even an acknowledgement from an admin or a dev that this problem is being reported by multiple people. I see there was another app update today, and from the release notes apparently your priorities are camera uploads and UI tweaks. Meanwhile your music playing app can't play music reliably.

Still no news Plex people?!

Lifetime subscription cancelled. Got a refund already.
    Good luck to the rest of you getting a fix from the developers, I really hope it arrives with the next release ;)

• rsavarsava Posts: 2,739Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Meikos said:
    Lifetime subscription cancelled. Got a refund already.
    Good luck to the rest of you getting a fix from the developers, I really hope it arrives with the next release ;)

I can honestly say I never have this issue. I use sync'd content all the time when I travel (which is 2-3 times a month). I have other issues but it never "buffers".

R Sava

• MarvBobMarvBob Posts: 1Members

This is quite annoying, as I listen to music while walking in the streets, my phone connects to every free wifi I go through and Plex buffers. I just cannot listen to synced content while having wifi on, this is ridiculous.
    I think this is a major bug for media player application, I am surprised it has not been fixed yet and I do not understand this bug hasn't even been acknowledged by someone from Plex team. I see a lot of new features being implemented but I would appreciate this basic one to be just working...

This has actually been acknowledged in one of the other 5 posts on this by sergiou, and a fix is on the way. Sadly not in the latest release! But they are working on it!

• mcfaulmcfaul Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 7

This is incredibly annoying

I've got a lifetime subscription and a 13" 256gb iPad Pro and it buffers ALL the time.

I can't turn on airplane mode otherwise my bluetooth headphones don't work

• drinehartdrinehart Posts: 1,141Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I agree with @rsava. I do not see this issue with local content I have syncd. I would recommend deleting all synced content. Then remove Plex and reboot. Then reinstall Plex. Finally, resync your content. They had a lot of issues with synced content for a bit and this fixed it for me some time ago.

However, if I am listening to music via remote access, switching from wifi to cellular (like in my backyard as wifi and water doesn't get along), I get pauses and often have to restart playback. This would not apply to local content, though.

• rsavarsava Posts: 2,739Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@mcfaul said:

I've got a lifetime subscription and a 13" 256gb iPad Pro and it buffers ALL the time.

@mcfaul said:

You do know that you can turn on airplane mode and then turn bluetooth back on, right? I do it all the time on the plane.
    Not a solution but wanted you to ge aware of that.

R Sava