We will be performing plex.tv database server maintenance starting 22:00 Pacific Time on Wednesday, June 28 (05:00 GMT, June 29). It is expected to last ~1.5 hours. See http://status.plex.tv/incidents/c1t6djj5vq9r
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Sonos/PLEX Out Of Beta Testing

yungdugayungduga Members Posts: 2

I responded to an email sent to me by Sonos on November 01, 2016 welcoming me to the Beta 7.0 program. I thought I was still participating in the Sonos/PLEX beta program so I responded to the email;
The Sonos/Plex beta program was announced July 20, 2016 and in 100+ days, there's been no updates or responses to beta testers comments/suggestions/complaints from Sonos or Plex. The silence is deafening! It's tough to participate in a beta when there's no communication.

The response from Dave P. of Sonos Customer Care;
Thank you for contacting Sonos Customer Care today. I apologize for the wait, but I can happily inform you that PLEX is out of the Beta stage and is now fully supported on Sonos! If you have any questions or problems while setting this Service up, please let us know.

I obviously missed the announcement that the Sonos/PLEX integration was out of the beta stage. It feels good knowing that all the hours spent by the Sonos/PLEX beta users during this time resulted in such a great product. After this experience, I think I'll pass on participating in any more Sonos betas.

Answers

• lprlpr Members, Plex Pass Posts: 120 Plex Pass
    edited November 2016

And I was anxiously waiting for the next beta to see If I could browse by genre and track who was playing what from my server among other things...

• virgiliomivirgiliomi Members, Plex Pass Posts: 52 Plex Pass

First, I'm pretty sure that Plex still appears under "Sonos Labs", which means it's still in testing, though Sonos may not consider that to be "beta". Second, I think Plex has more control over everything than Sonos does... Sonos more or less provides an API that Plex uses to interface with... Plex has to do the work on their end for how Sonos retrieves data about the available content, how it's displayed in the Sonos app, and whatnot.

Given Plex's lack of response on anything regarding Sonos here lately, I would imagine that they certainly still consider it to be a beta even if Sonos doesn't.

BTW, Sonos' own betas are very well-run. As someone who has participated in them for at least the last four or five version updates, they have a pretty good system down.

• MrKeithMrKeith Members Posts: 8 ✭✭

Major shame that Plex seem to have entirely ditched the Sonos beta. It doesn't work consistently- which is a great disappointment. Looked like an excellent solution, but must be written off as a total failure.

Keith

• lprlpr Members, Plex Pass Posts: 120 Plex Pass
    edited November 2016

Not a total failure, it works on my side. It's just not complete, but it as lots of potential! However, I still have to run my Subsonic server. I cannot fully rely on Plex yet for my musical needs.

• MrKeithMrKeith Members Posts: 8 ✭✭

If you cant rely on something, is that a %age failure, or a total failure?

Plex is so easy to set up in its own software, but if you cant make it work through Sonos all of the time, there doesn't seem to be much point.

There is so much potential, I agree. But as yet, still much to be achieved.

• jamietrejamietre Members, Plex Pass Posts: 27 Plex Pass
    edited November 2016

I think it's pretty clear that this is going nowhere. I've asked repeatedly here, and in the comment thread on the original announcement here: https://www.plex.tv/blog/plex-sonos-better-together/

.. for even basic information about the status or plans for this. While Emilio initially responded to my replies saying he "would get more information", he never did, and my last request for followup there (since nobody from Plex ever posts here) was never approved by the blog moderator.

This is about the worst kind of bait and switch there is. I already had a Plex Pass so I can't complain about paying for something I didn't get, but I imagine others may have.

Ultimately this is just really poor customer relations. I don't mind being a beta tester. And I don't mind if things don't go as planned.

But it's completely unacceptable to just throw something like this out there, and then pretend it never happened. I'm surprised they don't just shut down this forum, because obviously nobody there reads it. It's really not a lot to ask that we at least get some communication, even if it's to the effect of "sorry - we ran into some unresolvable tech problems and this isn't going to be finished."

As I've mentioned before - at this point Subsonic is a better soluition than Plex for Sonos integration. It has more features implemented for the SONOS API, doesn't require a roundtrip to the internet to play a song, and is faster. I've switched back after giving the beta a try. I had really looked forward to having everything under one roof but I'm not holding my breath any more.

• wwwizzarrdrywwwizzarrdry Members, Plex Pass Posts: 187 Plex Pass

Ever since they got their $10 million backing, Plex runs and operates like a black box.

They had their roots in an open-source, community driven product. And now they've totally shuttered command central.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 15,171 Plex Employee

@wwwizzarrdry said:
    Ever since they got their $10 million backing, Plex runs and operates like a black box.

They had their roots in an open-source, community driven product. And now they've totally shuttered command central.

Not true. It's just hard to get around to all the posts.

To answer this specific question, the app is still in Beta. I don't know what Dave P from Sonos was referring to. Maybe it is something behind the scenes.

• wwwizzarrdrywwwizzarrdry Members, Plex Pass Posts: 187 Plex Pass
    edited January 28

Good to know. It would be prudent to put some man power into the Sonos app again since they acknowledged that their new API is a work in progress. I'm sure they are looking for feedback regarding development issues.

Who.knows. maybe the rumors of an Apple acquisition are true and we'll all have to buy some apple adapter to make them work.

edited January 28

@MovieFan.Plex said:

Not true. It's just hard to get around to all the posts.

To answer this specific question, the app is still in Beta. I don't know what Dave P from Sonos was referring to. Maybe it is something behind the scenes.

@MovieFan.Plex I am glad to see a Plex employee post here! I hope to see more of it!

But please - don't misrepresent this situation. I've been reading and posting on this forum since the week the beta was released six months ago. I've never seen anyone from Plex post here before. I asked for updates here and in the comment thread on the announcement blog post for basic status info numerous times and never got a response. That's not "hard to get around to all the posts". That's not getting around to any of them.

There's not very much traffic here. It wouldn't take more than a few minutes every week to answer basic questions like "is this thing still under development" and acknowledge bug reports. This is basic public relations.

Glad you are here now. It would be great if you could show us a pulse on a regular basis -- even if it's literally just one post every month to say "we're here, here's what's going on".

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 15,171 Plex Employee

Honestly, I've never even looked in this section. The beta sections are typically for the devs to get reports of bugs and stuff. General support is not usually provided since the code can be constantly changing so any info I have 1 day may not apply the next day. However, I thought I'd pop in and try to answer what I can.

Not asking for support... Just a pulse. That's all. It seems like nobody is checking on this forum, and that has left everyone with the impression that this product is dead. If that's not the case then someone should take a minute to let us know that even if it's just once a month.

Understood.

Hey @MovieFan.Plex .. I appreciate your dropping in here in January. I thought when you said "Understood" it meant we might hear something soon about the state of this project. But still nothing.

Would it be too much to ask that a Plex employee with some knowledge of the Plex<->Sonos "beta" drop in an post a status?The only plex employee posts (other than your own comments here) that I can find at all in this forum are from way back in August by @kinoCharlino -- more than 7 months ago.

If you just aren't going to do any further development on this product then please at least let your paying customers know this, so we can at least know what to expect, and decide whether it's worth spending effor or money pursuing other integration options. If you are, then could we have some information about whether you plan to fix any of the bugs that have been reported here.

Development is still happening just very slowly. I don't have any details but we hope to ramp things up in the near future.