Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Will Plex DVR manage multiple HDHomerun Connect tuners (USA version)

fizban11fizban11 Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am setting up my HDHomerun Connect tuners this weekend and will be signing up for Plex Pass. So far, I am very happy with PMS (Version 1.1.4.2757) on Windows 10. My question is this: my wife and I record very different shows that always seem to conflict, so I purchased 2 HDHomerun tuners to allow for 4 recordings at the same time. However, I can't see to find any definite answer that PMS DVR will manage the 2 tuners at the same time so that an open tuner will be used for recording. I assume that I will need to make sure that all channels are tuned in and available for the programming guide service on each device for this to happen. Please give some guidance.

Nvidia Shield Pro (2017) x 2
Win 10 Pro, ASUS x99-Pro/USB 3.1, 64GB RAM
Intel i7-5930
CM Extreme 80 Antenna
CM Titan 2 (CM-7778)
Plex Pass DVR
HDHR Connect x 2
Netflix, Hulu, PS Vue

Best Answer

Answers

• hthighwayhthighway Posts: 6,526Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    Accepted Answer

With the most recent Plex DVR Beta release you can now easily have multiple HDHomerun devices connected to Plex DVR.

• Paul
  • fizban11fizban11 Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thank you very much for helping me out! I ordered two HDHomerun Connects without checking to see if they could both be used at the same time. Now, I don't have to return one of them.

Nvidia Shield Pro (2017) x 2
    Win 10 Pro, ASUS x99-Pro/USB 3.1, 64GB RAM
    Intel i7-5930
    CM Extreme 80 Antenna
    CM Titan 2 (CM-7778)
    Plex Pass DVR
    HDHR Connect x 2
    Netflix, Hulu, PS Vue

• stefanodemaisstefanodemais Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I know I'm late to this thread. I've had plex pass for a few years but just recently cut cable for sling tv and Netflix etc. I'm thinking about setting up a DVR and want multiple tuners but I can't find any instructions on how to set it up. From the antenna would I split the cable to the two HDHomeRuns? Or do I need 2 antennas? Thanks in advance.

• philorusphilorus Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

You would just split the cable to the two tuners...it will attenuate your original signal a bit, but you could try a signal amplifier if needed. You only need one good antenna.

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 5,904Members ✭✭✭✭✭

If the signal is degraded enough to matter an amplified splitter can be found at a Home Improvement Center (Lowes/Home Depot/etc) for about 20 bucks.

The trick is to buy a 'good antenna'. Mohu is an 'expensive coathanger', but I wouldn't put them in the 'good antenna' category. Most of the time you get what you pay for - unless you're paying for a Mohu.

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://streamfree.tv/roku-channels/private/all/rarflix-108-thread.html )

• cyberbunkercyberbunker Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi folks, as you all have some experience in this area, I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction. I have 2 HDHomeRun connects. Plex seems to be able to record from one or the other, but not both (ie. I can't record on 4 channel's at once). Any clues/tips? Thanks in advance.

• drseabreezedrseabreeze Posts: 2Validating Plex Pass

As of 7/16/17, I would say the answer is not currently. I have three HD Homerun Tuners, Each tuner has a dedicated antennae pointed in the optimal direction. I have limited unique channels to each tuner with NO OVERLAP in the Plex DVR Software. IE> Tuner A has Channels 2 & 5 only. Tuner B has Channel 11only. Tuner C has Channel 36 only.
    Now if you tell it to record channel 2 only --> It will record properly off of Tuner A. However, If you tell it to record Channel 11 or 36 by themselves... THEY TOO record on Tuner A!! I have also learned that it multiple channels are told to record they activate the Tuners in sequential order Only one channel = Tuner A 1 Two Channels Tuner A 1 and Tuner A 2 (HD homerun has two tuners in a single unit) Three Channels to record - Tuner A1/A2 and Tuner B1 .... Four Channels results in Tuner A1/A2 and Tuner B1/B2 being activated and so on..... IN OTHERWORDS. It is NOT selecting the tuner utilized for recording with any priority/respect to actual channels actively identified in the DVR setup for each tuner. (You can specify to disregard all channels on Tuner A except 2 & 5... But if you tell it to record Channel 11 It will record off tuner A because it is the first in the sequence. ) To the Plex Engineers working the DVR Beta... I ask "I am correct???"

• kuupapupkuupapup Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@drseabreeze : I suspect there's a Plex UI bug. I noticed a similar thing. The active indicator was on the first (wrong) of my two HDHomeruns. I checked the devices' web interfaces, though, and the tuner that was locked/in use was indeed on the second device as it should have been.

Check out the device's tuner status pages, maybe you'll find the same!

• kuupapupkuupapup Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@kuupapup said:
    @drseabreeze : I suspect there's a Plex UI bug. I noticed a similar thing. The active indicator was on the first (wrong) of my two HDHomeruns. I checked the devices' web interfaces, though, and the tuner that was locked/in use was indeed on the second device as it should have been.

I have to backtrack a bit on that. I've now also seen it behaving the way you describe. A little frustrating. And apparently random. Or at least arbitrary.

• mfsummersmfsummers Posts: 15Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm having the same problem as Cyberbunker. Plex "sees" and configures both HDHomeRun Extend devices just fine. I can access both devices with HDHomeRun Config gui just fine. But if I try to record more than two shows at once, I get "Unknown error occurred" message in the Recording Schedule window. The software sets up a directory in .grab, but the directory remains empty. I'm a Plex pass user, just updated to the latest Plex and HDHomeRun software/firmware. This wasn't a problem for me when I recorded 4 channels simultaneously several months ago....