Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Any one have a fix for the Tivo to Go channel?

DadrepusDadrepus Posts: 368Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited November 2016 in Plex Channel Plugins

It cannot play the videos on my Tivo any more. The still find the Tivo's just fine and show what are on the hard drives but will not play any of them any more.

PMS- Mac Mini 2.53
Clients- AppleTV 1, Roku 3/2, Mac Mini, Amazon Stick , Tivo-Premiere(3)
Storage- 12TB external WD.

Answers

• plexburkeplexburke Posts: 492Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue. Worked fine for years but as of recently, it won't play or download anything. The tivo and recorded shows, show up normally as usual but that's where it ends.
    I can access the show via the Tivo URL (and download them via TS or PS files)
    I've attached the plugin logs if anyone can be of help, I'd be super appreciative.

PMS running on Mac-mini 6,2
    OS 10.11.6 (el cap)

• DadrepusDadrepus Posts: 368Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The guy on Github that wrote or rewrote the plugin is TIVOGUY but I did not see a way to contact him .

PMS- Mac Mini 2.53

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,836Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja

If you are having issues with channels you installed using sources other than the Channel Directory (aka Channels from Other Sources), those are unsupported channels. As the name implies, unsupported channels do not have the support of the larger volunteer channel community because they are often less stable, require special instructions and may even no longer be maintained or supported by its developer.

See the pinned topic at the top of the Channel section of the forum called SUPPORT: Find my Plug-In here for support for a list of support topics created by the developers of unsupported channels and How do I get support for unsupported channels?.

As stated in the above link, "It is not uncommon for channel developers to "disappear" or retire from channel development as other interests and responsibilities take priority. If the sole developer of an unsupported channel goes absent, the abandoned channel will generally fall into disrepair over time and stop working unless another developer takes over the maintenance."

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
    Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
    See Log Files
    Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
    READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First
    FAQ for Channel Plugin FAQ

@shopgirl284 said:
    If you are having issues with channels you installed using sources other than the Channel Directory (aka Channels from Other Sources), those are unsupported channels. As the name implies, unsupported channels do not have the support of the larger volunteer channel community because they are often less stable, require special instructions and may even no longer be maintained or supported by its developer.

See the pinned topic at the top of the Channel section of the forum called SUPPORT: Find my Plug-In here for support for a list of support topics created by the developers of unsupported channels and How do I get support for unsupported channels?.

As stated in the above link, "It is not uncommon for channel developers to "disappear" or retire from channel development as other interests and responsibilities take priority. If the sole developer of an unsupported channel goes absent, the abandoned channel will generally fall into disrepair over time and stop working unless another developer takes over the maintenance."

Yep, I posted there as well. I replied here bc @Dadrepus was the only post I saw mentioning the issue so I was curious if we were missing something. Ultimately I'm guessing you're right as he hasn't touched it in a couple years.
    @Dadrepus you/I can post the issue to him on github. I can later when I have some time. Someone also forked it and made some additions but that had the same result for me.
    The reasons for my keeping Tivo are dwindling

Not I, I will probably never give up my Tivo. It does so many things right. Mine does OA as well as cable so once I get free of Verizon, I'll still be able to get the local channels. I do find I am using fewer Plex channels as time goes by, though. I also mentioned this in the Tivo forum to see if any of the developers there would pick it up.

PMS- Mac Mini 2.53

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,836Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja

I am assuming you are referring to a Plex channel for the Tivo To Go website and not the Plex player app for Tivo. If you are referring to issues with the Plex player app for Tivo, you would need to refer to the Smart TVs (LG, 2016 Samsung, Sony, TiVo, Toshiba, VIZIO) section of the forum.

For the Tivo To Go website, this could also be a case where due to changes in the website and how they are now choosing to lock down their content the creator is no longer able to provide access. This is often the case with larger content providers that require login. They will use DRM and only have interest in providing hardware specific options where they can control access to their content completely.

See Why do devices like Roku or AppleTV have a particular channel and not Plex? and Why does Plex not have a channel for a particular website?

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
    Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
    See Log Files
    Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
    READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First
    FAQ for Channel Plugin FAQ

@shopgirl284 said:
    I am assuming you are referring to a Plex channel for the Tivo To Go website and not the Plex player app for Tivo. If you are referring to issues with the Plex player app for Tivo, you would need to refer to the Smart TVs (LG, 2016 Samsung, Sony, TiVo, Toshiba, VIZIO) section of the forum.

For the Tivo To Go website, this could also be a case where due to changes in the website and how they are now choosing to lock down their content the creator is no longer able to provide access. This is often the case with larger content providers that require login. They will use DRM and only have interest in providing hardware specific options where they can control access to their content completely.

See Why do devices like Roku or AppleTV have a particular channel and not Plex? and Why does Plex not have a channel for a particular website?

No, it a plugin to play out Tivo content thru Plex. https://github.com/tivoguy/TiVoToGo.bundle

PMS- Mac Mini 2.53

• JamminRJamminR Posts: 3,535Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2016

I'm not so sure this can be fixed by a developer of any plugin.
    I believe Tivo has changed the ability to access content stored on the DVR through the web interface (that is, I believe they've removed it).
    If I go to https://>my-tivo.LAN-ip</nowplaying/index.html?Recurse=Yes and log in using tivo as username and media access key as password, all I can see is the dumb Tivo intro video (you know, the one with that stupid TV walking down a street).
    I know I have much more available currently when viewing through my Tivo guide menus.
    In the past using this web method, I could see all that I currently had recorded.
    Tivo likely locked this down in a firmware update. I could imagine many reasons why, none of which I'm really happy with Tivo lately for.

EDIT - See http://hmedev.wikidot.com/list-of-known-applications
    Even it mentions December 2016 firmware breaking many other web based addons/features that Tivo previously could do.

Server - HW: I7-4790K(Haswell), 16GB - SW: Win10 Pro + PMS v1.13.2.5154
    Misc. HW: HDHR Extend + 2TB RAID1(Intel Z87) + 4x4TB RAID5(QNAP TS-653Pro)
    Shares - From: 2  - To: 18(5) - Potential lifetime PlexPass data generating product customer!
    ISP: ~20mbps up/1TB monthly "cap" - (Monthly avg. xfer ~375gb(~50gb server))
    Search the Plex WIKI before asking silly questions.
    Plex stuff I favor - Tautulli - UASv3 - FMoviesPlus

@Dadrepus said:

Not I, I will probably never give up my Tivo. It does so many things right. Mine does OA as well as cable so once I get free of Verizon, I'll still be able to get the local channels. I do find I am using fewer Plex channels as time goes by, though. I also mentioned this in the Tivo forum to see if any of the developers there would pick it up.

@Dadrepus said:

I get it and I've been there but don't se it any more. I've been a subscriber since 2004. I bought a homerun on eBay for 60 bucks and Since we can already record Tv on Plex, watch live through the homerun plugin (coupled with the fact it's a matter of time before live tv is accessible via the Plex DVR) I don't see a need to pay for (IMO) really overpriced hardware and a subscription so they can sell my viewing habits and PII. Building my own DVR was a much better solution (for me). just me, not for everyone.

@JamminR said:
    I'm not so sure this can be fixed by a developer of any plugin.
    I believe Tivo has changed the ability to access content stored on the DVR through the web interface (that is, I believe they've removed it).
    If I go to https://>my-tivo.LAN-ip</nowplaying/index.html?Recurse=Yes and log in using tivo as username and media access key as password, all I can see is the dumb Tivo intro video (you know, the one with that stupid TV walking down a street).
    I know I have much more available currently when viewing through my Tivo guide menus.
    In the past using this web method, I could see all that I currently had recorded.
    Tivo likely locked this down in a firmware update. I could imagine many reasons why, none of which I'm really happy with Tivo lately for.

EDIT - See http://hmedev.wikidot.com/list-of-known-applications
    Even it mentions December 2016 firmware breaking many other web based addons/features that Tivo previously could do.

Interesting, I can still access my menu and actually download files (not HBO etc) if I strip the recurse=yes string.
    https://>my-tivo.LAN-ip</nowplaying/index.html

@plexburke said:

Interesting, I can still access my menu and actually download files (not HBO etc) if I strip the recurse=yes string.

Tried that just now, still all I see is the 'welcome to tivo' video selection. It, and several other shows, show up in my actual Tivo men guide. I guess it's possible the OTA shows I record all set whatever bits prevent Tivo from sharing.
    It's odd though. If that's the case, every network/show I have has done it since last December when I last viewed the listing.
    (Parents requested a Christmas show I'd recorded, and wanted it's sequel this year)

I'll keep tinkering. I've not power cycled the Tivo yet. (But, I really don't think that will fix it)

Shares - From: 2  - To: 18(5) - Potential lifetime PlexPass data generating product customer!

@JamminR said:

@plexburke said:

Tried that just now, still all I see is the 'welcome to tivo' video selection. It, and several other shows, show up in my actual Tivo men guide. I guess it's possible the OTA shows I record all set whatever bits prevent Tivo from sharing.
    It's odd though. If that's the case, every network/show I have has done it since last December when I last viewed the listing.
    (Parents requested a Christmas show I'd recorded, and wanted it's sequel this year)

I'll keep tinkering. I've not power cycled the Tivo yet. (But, I really don't think that will fix it)

Odd, so with cable connected, Tivo carries two local ip's. One is for Tivo stream (that's where I get the same 'welcome to Tivo message' and the other is the box itself, with the recordings viewable from the browser. Im not familiar with the OTA recordings but it seems odd cable channels are available but not via standard OTA recordings..

The author of KTTMg can still get his java application to work with the current Tivo software. It still finds the shows, downloads, converts, removes commercials and saves in a format of your choosing to be played elsewhere. All can be configured to do automatically. There is a Mac only application that can do the same, can't remember the name. It is my understanding from listening to their discussion, it is the python portion of this program that is **** up. They don't use python at all.

PMS- Mac Mini 2.53

I'd like to report that I can now see web data using a browser and see info on my Tivo. No idea what changed in the past week or two.
    However, I tried the Tivo bundle and it didn't work, but, this is the first time I've installed it in years, and it didn't work 2 years ago when I last tried it.
    Cmon Plex DVR, please add 1) Live streaming time shifting and 2) Tivo support.

@Dadrepus said:
    The author of KTTMg can still get his java application to work with the current Tivo software. It still finds the shows, downloads, converts, removes commercials and saves in a format of your choosing to be played elsewhere. All can be configured to do automatically. There is a Mac only application that can do the same, can't remember the name. It is my understanding from listening to their discussion, it is the python portion of this program that is **** up. They don't use python at all.

KMMTG can be used on mac as well. it's a java application

@JamminR said:
    I'd like to report that I can now see web data using a browser and see info on my Tivo. No idea what changed in the past week or two.
    However, I tried the Tivo bundle and it didn't work, but, this is the first time I've installed it in years, and it didn't work 2 years ago when I last tried it.
    Cmon Plex DVR, please add 1) Live streaming time shifting and 2) Tivo support.

sounds like you were right from the beginning. Rovi has apparently removed the push functionality and additionally ratcheted up the spyware. Neither of which should be surprising in hindsight I guess.

• sjones0812sjones0812 Posts: 52Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Not a code guy, but an IT guy. I found this in the init.py file.

TIVO_XML_NAMESPACE = 'http://www.tivo.com/developer/calypso-protocol-1.6/'

That link seems to be broken and gone, I wonder if that is why things stopped working???

• sander1sander1 Channel Developer/Admin Posts: 3,750Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited April 2017

@sjones0812 said:
    Not a code guy, but an IT guy. I found this in the init.py file.

TIVO_XML_NAMESPACE = 'http://www.tivo.com/developer/calypso-protocol-1.6/'

That link seems to be broken and gone, I wonder if that is why things stopped working???

That is "just" a namespace, it doesn't have to be a valid URL (it's not used as an URL to retrieve data from).
    (ref)

@sander1 - you wouldn't happen to have a Tivo in your household to see if this channel works for you, would you?

• sander1sander1 Channel Developer/Admin Posts: 3,750Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@JamminR said:
    @sander1 - you wouldn't happen to have a Tivo in your household to see if this channel works for you, would you?

Unfortunately no, I'm in a TiVo-less country....

• drinehartdrinehart Posts: 1,241Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@JamminR - I installed the channel to test for you, and entered my mediakey and ip, but it is not working for me. I can hit the URL directly and it works fine. PMS on Windows 10 1703 x64.