Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Google home integration status

chetstrikerchetstriker Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

Just wondering if there is active work being done with Google on integrating Google home with Android TV or Nvidia shield?
If there is, are there and projected release dates or an official discussion to check progress?
I'm very eager to tell Google home to play a show or movie on the TV and have it pull from Plex also instead of just YouTube.

Answers

• AndrroidAndrroid Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,106 Plex Pass

If there is, are there and projected release dates or an official discussion to check progress?

Pretty much never going to see this from Plex, on any development.

• binky1@gmail.combinky1@gmail.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

I would also love to see Google Home integration. Would be great to say 'Ok Google, play Ghostbusters on Plex'

Thanks,

-Bink

• hockeyfreakhockeyfreak Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

That would be awesome. Even any kind of workaround. "Hey google, play Star Trek beyond with Plex on living room TV"!!!

• schellbellschellbell Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

I would love to have Plex integration with Google Home, even if it requires some sort of integration with IFTTT?

• raddacleraddacle Members Posts: 8 ✭✭

I'm trying to update this script to work with the new Plex updates, however I'm running into some trouble. Once solved the process would go like GH>IFTTT>Pushbullet(or Autoremote or Join)>Tasker on a Android TV. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

• psuKingerpsuKinger Members, Plex Pass Posts: 54 Plex Pass
    edited November 2016

delete duplicate

edited November 2016

delete duplicate

@Andrroid said:

What makes you say this?

Plex supports Google Cast. Heck, it was one of the original 7 chromecast-capable apps, if I remember correctly.

It seems, to me at least, like exactly the sort of thing Plex likes to do. Increase flexibility and accessibility. When it comes to local media playback, Plex is far from the only game in town. But when it comes to a method of local media playback that optimizes for (cross-platform, no loss, Plex is OS-agnostic) accessibility and convenience? That's like the thing Plex has in spades over the competition... So, if you don't mind my asking, why do you think this will never happen?

• AndrroidAndrroid Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,106 Plex Pass

@psuKinger said:

@Andrroid said:

What makes you say this?

Plex supports Google Cast. Heck, it was one of the original 7 chromecast-capable apps, if I remember correctly.

It seems, to me at least, like exactly the sort of thing Plex likes to do. Increase flexibility and accessibility. When it comes to local media playback, Plex is far from the only game in town. But when it comes to a method of local media playback that optimizes for (cross-platform, no loss, Plex is OS-agnostic) accessibility and convenience? That's like the thing Plex has in spades over the competition... So, if you don't mind my asking, why do you think this will never happen?

Take a look at what I was quoting and rethink your post. I wasn't saying the integration wouldn't happen; I was saying the development transparency won't happen.

• digitalhighdigitalhigh Members, Plex Pass Posts: 288 Plex Pass

I've got a IFTTT script set up and working that feeds movie inputs into a specified couchpotato server, it also uses a javascript hosted on scriptr. io. I don't think it should be too difficult to modify the script posted above to work in this context. I've got some free time this evening, if I make it go, I'll post the results here.

• Daystar1124Daystar1124 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

I would also love Google Home support. The Nvidia Shield already has a voice search for Plex built in. It shouldn't be too hard for them to connect to Google Home and allow this. @digitalhigh are you talking about you saying "Hey Google, add on CouchPotato" and it goes? That would be so cool.

• jwakejwake Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Plus one. Google Home integration with Plex would be great!

• digitalhighdigitalhigh Members, Plex Pass Posts: 288 Plex Pass

So, a little status update from my previous post:

I took a look at the above script, and was able to emulate some of it's ability using google home and IFTTT + Scriptr.IO. However, there becomes an issue in using a remote source to tie in with IFTTT in that you have to (at least from what I've figured out so far) be on the same network as the player you want to send to, or at least have your player's port publicly accessible, which is a hassle.

Which means hosting a script/service somewhere is not gonna work. We're going to need some kind of website hosted on our internal network which has the ability to receive Ghome commands and do stuff with them. Or, maybe not - maybe somebody else has gotten a proper working URL that can trigger plex playback from outside the local network (without IP access to the player). If so, please let me know.

Otherwise, I'm just finishing up another project I've been working on - the 2.0 release of MuxiMux, which is another neat HTPC-themed doohicky of a web app that I added some neat bells and whistles to.

But, since I'm on a web design kick, am good with PHP and Javascript, and have already got a working implementation of Ghome -> IFTTT -> Couchpotato, I'm thinking about creating some kind of little web app that would (ultimately) tie in with Sickbeard/Sonarr/CouchPotato/Plex and provide "Ok Google" functionality for adding movies, adding shows, and controlling plex with your voice. It would be a lot more flexible than a collection of scripts on Scriptr, and give me something to work on once MuxiMux is done. :D

And heck, if I do a hosted solution, then it's possible I may be able to better utilize the interactions api, versus just having it respond to dumb commands like siri.

So, the TLDR verson:

I've done more homework on this. I know the commands to make it work. I just need to wrap it up in a pretty package so people can use it.

• tonypony86@gmail.comtonypony86@gmail.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

You deserve all the luck you get in 2017

@digitalhigh said:
    So, a little status update from my previous post:

I took a look at the above script, and was able to emulate some of it's ability using google home and IFTTT + Scriptr.IO. However, there becomes an issue in using a remote source to tie in with IFTTT in that you have to (at least from what I've figured out so far) be on the same network as the player you want to send to, or at least have your player's port publicly accessible, which is a hassle.

Which means hosting a script/service somewhere is not gonna work. We're going to need some kind of website hosted on our internal network which has the ability to receive Ghome commands and do stuff with them. Or, maybe not - maybe somebody else has gotten a proper working URL that can trigger plex playback from outside the local network (without IP access to the player). If so, please let me know.

Otherwise, I'm just finishing up another project I've been working on - the 2.0 release of MuxiMux, which is another neat HTPC-themed doohicky of a web app that I added some neat bells and whistles to.

But, since I'm on a web design kick, am good with PHP and Javascript, and have already got a working implementation of Ghome -> IFTTT -> Couchpotato, I'm thinking about creating some kind of little web app that would (ultimately) tie in with Sickbeard/Sonarr/CouchPotato/Plex and provide "Ok Google" functionality for adding movies, adding shows, and controlling plex with your voice. It would be a lot more flexible than a collection of scripts on Scriptr, and give me something to work on once MuxiMux is done. :D

And heck, if I do a hosted solution, then it's possible I may be able to better utilize the interactions api, versus just having it respond to dumb commands like siri.

So, the TLDR verson:

I've done more homework on this. I know the commands to make it work. I just need to wrap it up in a pretty package so people can use it.

• SCDemanettSCDemanett Members, Plex Pass Posts: 11 Plex Pass

GHome -> IFTTT -> SickRage/CouchPotato/Plex I need in my life!

• user654784user654784 Members Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited January 13

any update ? how much time are we going to wait ? they don't have enought money with all the subscriptions ? please fix android tv app also

• JasonMeudtJasonMeudt Members, Plex Pass Posts: 217 Plex Pass

@user654784 said:
    any update ? how much time are we going to wait ? they don't have enought money with all the subscriptions ? please fix android tv app also

Check here:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/252910/wip-google-home-plex-integration-and-couchpotato-and-sonarr#latest

• Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3.6 Mhz (Plex Server)
    • Netgear R7000 (Tomato by Toastman firmware)
    • 2x Google Chromecast V2 (Media Player)
    • 3x Roku (Media Player)
    • 10 TB of Storage Space
  • GoodBearGoodBear Members, Plex Pass Posts: 31 Plex Pass

@jwake said:
    Plus one. Google Home integration with Plex would be great!

Ditto! I love my new Google Home! She is my new buddy! :) LOL!

• spinner735spinner735 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 14 Plex Pass

Please integrate ASAP! This should be top priority.

• vdplexvdplex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 24 Plex Pass

+1 now that alexa is supported, the logical next step is google home. It's a better experience IMO (vs alexa)