Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

BUG: sync music playback issue when moving between connected state

jethrobrewinjethrobrewin Members, Plex Pass Posts: 11 Plex Pass

This is an odd one, but it is consistent.

Steps to reproduce
1. have music synced to iPhone. The music I have synced is large.. hours long DJ sets - not sure if that is a contributing factor
2. play music
3. lose network connection, or move between connection types(e.g. move from wifi to carrier, or move from wifi to no data signal, or move from no data signal to airplane mode)
4. the music will stop playing temporarily (as little as one second, as much as 10 seconds, or indefinitely - see point5). If I unlock the phone and go to plex I get the spinning symbol suggesting it is trying to stream data, or attempting to connect to the server the music was synced from.
5. Sometimes the music will not start playing again unless I unlock the phone, and open the Plex app,. at which point it magically continues playing

Best Answer

Answers

• Mummy & DaddyMummy & Daddy Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

+1
    Thanks, this stops me needing to post the exact same issue!
    To add to the above, I travel daily on the tube. Playback is paused every time the phone connects to wifi at a station and resumes 1-10 secs later. It then pauses again as the phone loses wifi as the tubes moves on. It is bloody annoying!

The same happens connecting to a carrier and the final confirmation is that if I activate airplane mode the issue goes away!

Please nail this bug.

• jameseyrejameseyre Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

+1
    Same thing is happening to me, I've got an iPhone 6+. It's also annoying me on my commute on the tube. That and the fact that the entire population of London seem to be squished in this carriage...

• The Lazy SlugThe Lazy Slug Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

+1
    Exactly the same issue as Mummy & Daddy and jameseyre. I've turned off syncing syncing via 'Cellular Data' and now turn the WiFi off on my phone when on the underground. Not a good solution as I don't get my mail at each station.

• HitexHitex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

Same problem here! IPhone 7 with iOS 10.2. Any real solution?. Thanks!

• SilverlinSilverlin Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

Suffered from exactly the same issue today. I turned off cellular and wifi on my iPhone when I was on the subway to stop my phone connecting when we got to the stations. Hopefully someone can get a fix for this.

• ApplemediacenterApplemediacenter Members, Plex Pass Posts: 296 Plex Pass

Same problem here when driving to work. Music stops when changing from wifi to cellular or vice verses

• dafuferdafufer Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass
    edited February 21

Same problem here. On my way to work, the music stops multiple times. I have an iPhone 6s+ with iOS 10.2.1
    I have the last version of plex server installed 1.4.2.3400 on a NAS.

• s0ph0ss0ph0s Members Posts: 7 ✭✭

Yup, same problem here. I've written up a more detailed report of the issue in my post here: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/257733/cache-invalidation-bug-on-plex-for-ios

• chaosmakerchaosmaker Members, Plex Pass Posts: 338 Plex Pass

Yes same problem here. What I noticed is that the app doesn't seem to adhere to the "prefer synced content" toggle. When you move from a "no signal" area to a "signal" area (where signal can be either cellular or wifi) the content is being streamed and the app is trying to load, hence the break. This also happens when moving between cellular and wifi signal. Makes no sense to have synced content and then the app streaming it anyway....

@chrisallen any chance you can comment on this? This is getting really frustrating, I cannot walk/drive without having breaks and restarts continuously simply because Plex decides to stream instead of use local data...

• jennecjennec Members, Plex Pass Posts: 52 Plex Pass

I have exactly the same problem, but in addition I get audio repeating the last few seconds of playback for a random number of intervals. Sometimes it repeats once, othertimes it will continue to repeat until I unlock the phone. And variations in between.

• jethrobrewinjethrobrewin Members, Plex Pass Posts: 11 Plex Pass

I missed a scenario where this happens on my original post, and this is especially pertinent on the London Underground (or anywhere you may change connection state a lot) as others have pointed out.

On a typical journey
    1. I'll go from being outside with a carrier signal
    2. to walking to a platform where i lose carrier signal
    3. to being on a platform where wifi networks are available - but not being connected to wifi
    4. to being on a train, and there being no wifi signal
    5. to being in a station where wifi networks are available again - but not being connected to wifi

This interruption of synced music will happen every single time at steps 2.3.4.5 - and on a 12 stop tube journey that's a lot of cut outs. It's unfathomable why plex playback would be interrupted when there are wifi networks available, but not being connected to any.

Furthermore, this has started to happen to synchronised video content now - with second-long interruptions to video playback when changing connection state.

Five months after reporting this as a bug this deserves at least acknowledgement from the devs

I agree the fact that this is not acknowledged by the Devs is really frustrating. At least someone say something - even if it is, we don't know what the issue is at the moment but we hope we'll fix it soon. @elan can you please comment?

• MeikosMeikos Members Posts: 17 ✭✭

This bug was first reported on Oct 2016 here https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/243140/ios-app-appears-to-be-buffering-on-local-content#latest , but no reply from the developers. Plex advertise the "Mobile Sync" as a premium feature, you trust them and spend your money, just to discover that it doesn't work as advertised. I would like to know why exactly they have not acknowledged this issue yet. @Moussa @elan @drzoidberg33 @sa2000. I am sorry to randomly mention all of you guys, but I think we need an answer here.

• AlexDRossAlexDRoss Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

Another +1 for me. Happens all the time when travelling but as soon as airplane mode enabled the problem goes away.

At the same time the Plex app will freeze for up to 30 seconds when on wifi as it tries to sync content. Incredibly frustrating!

Still not fixed on the latest version 10293. Maybe @sergiou87 can comment here?

Nobody fricken comments on this massive bug... Plex should almost be ashamed!

Having had problems with this bug myself I noticed that Plex for iOS always retries the connection on an event like network change. This event causes the whole thing to blow up and stop (even though there is no need). Similar problems occur when streaming - I don't get why the buffer is reset (if there even is a buffer...) During a network change. You'd think you would put a large enough buffer to allow for a 10s reconnect delay, no?

• mm98mm98 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 359 Plex Pass

That's why i stopped reporting bugs in any form. Sync drained by mobile data plan in a day, because of this bug. Sync should HELP the data plan. Nothing happen when reporting: Thread

Plex Media Server: QNAP TS-453 Pro (CPU Mark: 1864, Intel Celeron @ 1.99GHz Quad-Core, 8GB RAM, SSD, 2 x WD)
    Plex Media Clients: PlexWeb (app.plex.tv), Plex for LG, ChromeCast Ultra, iPhone 6, iPad Pro, Apple TV 4 and Sonos
    DVR Hardware: HDHomeRun EXPAND (HDHR3-4DC)
    Smart TV: LG UHD UH7500 (US) / UH750V (EU) (WebOS 3.0)

Still nothing then I guess Plex people?!

Seriously guys, why are you deliberately ignoring us? I cannot believe no one in the Plex team haven't had the time to take a look at this bug in 7 months.
    @Moussa @elan @drzoidberg33 @sa2000 @sergiou87 @chrisallen
    Would it be possible for any of you to comment on this issue?