Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Xiaomi Mi Box US version (Android TV 6.0) - Plex client with Audio HDMI Passthrough broken

p.s.hewittp.s.hewitt Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi,

Just bought the new Xiaomi Mi Box with Android TV 6.0 on it. Brilliant little device and works well with SPMC/KODI/VLC player and passes through DTS and AC3 without problems, but having major issues with Plex Client.

Symptoms are:

1. Audio Passthrough enabled - playing DTS / DTS-HD/MA / Dolby-TrueHD MKV - tries to directplay, files attempt to load and after a few seconds video, playback crashes with error "Network connection not fast enough..." No audio playback at all. Turn off passthrough and same file plays fine with audio transcoded.

2. Audio Passthrough enabled - playing AC3 MKV - video starts to stream for about 20 seconds, then video freezes for 2 seconds and then video playback goes out of sync and playback is at about 3-4x standard speed. Audio plays back without issue during this but goes out of sync.

3. Plex client does not honour Passthrough setting when set to disabled - when you turn passthrough off, it still tries to passthrough AC3 with the same results as above in point 2. All other formats (DTS and HD formats) get transcoded as expected and playback is good.

As you can imagine, this pretty much renders the Plex Client unusable at the moment as all MKV with AC3 files cannot be played at all regardless of what you set as passthrough. I have also tried disabling direct play and forcing direct stream but made no difference to the fault.

I am running version 5.1.2 of the client.

Has anyone else experience the same issues?

P

Answers

• Achi92131Achi92131 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes, I also have the same issue :-(

• WatSonsofAnarchyWatSonsofAnarchy Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes I am experiencing issue #2 as well on all accounts videos in plex. Very frustrating!

• johnny15johnny15 Posts: 335Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I also have issue #2. Frustrating considering the Nexus Player works fine.

Plex Server: Mint 18 w/ Intel Core i5-2400 (3.1GHz) and 4GB RAM || 8TB WD EX2100

Plex DVR w/ HDHomeRun Connect (2)

Plex Clients: Fire TV (2015), Roku TV, Nvidia Shield TV x2, Fire HD 8, Nexus 6P

• p.s.hewittp.s.hewitt Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hoping the Site Mod is watching these threads and puts this on the dev list for investigation.

In the meantime I have been using Kodi with plexkodiconnect and that works a treat. But dont like the Kodi interfaces/skins and would much prefer they get their own client sorted. :)

• simon_lefischsimon_lefisch Posts: 137Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the same issues as well. someone in another post said it may be cuz the Mi Box is a new unit so hopefully Plex will fix this in a future update (hopefully we dont have to wait too long).

Local Server
    CPU: 2.83GHz Quad-core (no hyper-threading)
    RAM: 8GB
    OS Storage: 1TB HDD (x1)
    Media Storage: 4TB HDD (x2) in RAID 1
    Plex Media Server: Latest Public Version

VPS
    Media Storage: GSuite Drive

Clients
    Nvidia Shield 16GB (1st gen)
    Amazon FireTV (2nd gen)
    Apple TV 4

• OscarD_CZOscarD_CZ Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Experiencing issue #2. And in case of these videos audio is not redirected to bluetooth speakers. Unusable :-<

• johnny15johnny15 Posts: 335Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Until Xiaomi updates this to Android 7+, I have a hard time saying all of these issues are Plex's issues. I don't know why Google would back these guys at the developer conference back in May and then not make sure Nougat is ready for the Mi Box when it was released. You would've thought they were working together on this...
    I was hoping this would get supported similar to the Nexus player but the way its going so far, this seems like its going to be another sad excuse for and AndroidTV device. I'm glad I didn't sell my Nexus Player.

Plex Server: Mint 18 w/ Intel Core i5-2400 (3.1GHz) and 4GB RAM || 8TB WD EX2100

Plex DVR w/ HDHomeRun Connect (2)

Plex Clients: Fire TV (2015), Roku TV, Nvidia Shield TV x2, Fire HD 8, Nexus 6P

@johnny15 said:
    Until Xiaomi updates this to Android 7+, I have a hard time saying all of these issues are Plex's issues. I don't know why Google would back these guys at the developer conference back in May and then not make sure Nougat is ready for the Mi Box when it was released. You would've thought they were working together on this...
    I was hoping this would get supported similar to the Nexus player but the way its going so far, this seems like its going to be another sad excuse for and AndroidTV device. I'm glad I didn't sell my Nexus Player.

yeah, sadly I have had very poor luck with Android TV devices so far, even the Fire TV is a bit hit and miss when it comes to audio passthrough. I missed the boat on the nexus players, so thought that this would be the next best thing other than spending £200 on a Nvidia Shield just to watch plex.

I do have an old Roku 3 which just works! Been wanting to get rid of it for ages as its a bit backward interface wise, but keeps coming out on top when it comes to compatibility.

I wish that Plex would just write their own player for android (Like the Kodi team) then we wouldnt have this sporadic compatibility issues across every different Android device.

• Xen0sysXen0sys Posts: 560Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I chatted with Xiaomi support asking for an ETA on the Android 7 update and they had this to say:

"I would like to inform you that Google has not yet released the update. Once google releases it for TV’s we will bring it to the Mi Box as soon as possible."

• TritonalTritonal Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

In the same boat as everyone else. Plex is useless to me in this state. It's incredibly disappointing as Kodi plays all my files near flawlessly yet Plex is so broken. I'm using Plexkodiconnect and though it has some library refreshing issues where it will randomly ignore a folder I have added that's an easy fix. Has there been any talks at all about the Plex team even acknowledging this issue?

• Xen0sysXen0sys Posts: 560Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Nope. But with probably at least 50 folks mentioning it across at least 5 different threads on a few sites, it would be hard to believe they don't know.

• fuzion9fuzion9 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am also experiencing issue 1 and 2 on both of my Mii boxes. I also have a shieldTV, and often get 'your network connection is not fast enough to stream this video' when skipping forward or backward.

• ZaknahZaknah Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have issue 2, very frustrating. Only just upgraded to the Mi Box :( and only use it for Plex.

• quinnjudgequinnjudge Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2016

I am also experiencing issue #2...

I noticed in my Plex app for my Nexus 5X, in Settings > Video, there's a checkbox for support of Dolby Digital (AC3)...I assume by keeping this unchecked, Plex is now transcoding audio to AAC on my phone...is there any way of replicating this setting on the Mi Box? Telling the Plex server that the Mi Box doesn't support AC3, and force it to transcode it down to AAC? It might serve as a workaround until the devs get around to resolving the issue.

• rogern24rogern24 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

PLease fix

• jeffbelinda2011jeffbelinda2011 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am experiencing issue #2 as well.

• Joe4992Joe4992 Posts: 138Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Mi Box. I have digital output set to SPDIF in the sound settings. Have a mini toslink from the Mi Box to my receiver which can do Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1. Has been tested with other devices to be working with each.

Plex I have audio passthrough turned on in the settings.

When I play a movie that has AC3 5.1, the server transcodes the audio into 2 channel stereo. Bringing up the overlay information panel it says "Media device does not support AC3 audio".

When I play a movie that has AAC 5.1, the server direct plays the audio but my receiver doesn't switch to digital. It stays on stereo 2 channel mode. It should switch over but doesn't. Audio plays fine in 2 channel audio even though it's direct playing.

When I play a DTS 5.1 movie it transcodes the audio into stereo 2 channel and the overlay says "This device does not support DTS audio"

So right now with the Mi Box I can't get any digital sound out of any movie whether it be DD or DTS, AAC or AC3. This is frustrating. My back speakers are collecting dust.

I'm sure the Plex team is blaming Xiaomi and Xiaomi is blaming the Plex team ... so basically no one is working on the fix.

• Joe4992Joe4992 Posts: 138Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm in a private message chain with a Plex employee on here about this issue. I'm getting log files for him and he has a Mi Box he's going to use to test to see if he can reproduce this. I honestly think they do not know about these problems so they never worked on a fix for them.

I'll update this thread on what we find. Looks like there might be a fix for these issues soon.. if the plex employee can reproduce what we see and if my logs prove useful.

• vcallesvcalles Posts: 2Members

FIX mibox + ac3 + plex

1. convertirse en desarrollador
    2. Ingresar a opciones de desarrollador
    3. ingresar a la opción general
    4. en optimización de HDMI escoger máxima velocidad de fotogramas.

Disfruten

@vcalles said:
    FIX mibox + ac3 + plex

1. convertirse en desarrollador
    2. Ingresar a opciones de desarrollador
    3. ingresar a la opción general
    4. en optimización de HDMI escoger máxima velocidad de fotogramas.

Disfruten

Translated:
    --FIX mibox + ac3 + plex
    --Become a developer
    --Enter developer options
    --Enter the general option
    --In HDMI optimization choose maximum frame rate.
    --Enjoy

Thanks for the suggestion @vcalles will give it a try later on, sounds very promising.