Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Conversion failed. A required codec could not be found or failed to install. - A bad update??

vorsprung911vorsprung911 Posts: 3Members

Hi guys,

Plex was working fine until this week. I get an error for many files on the server that it cannot find the codec. I feel it was perhaps the latest update? How can I delete the update to roll back to a previous version?

This is the error message:

"Conversion failed. A required codec could not be found or failed to install."

Unraid Version: 6.2.0-rc2
Plex Version 1.2.7.2987

Cheers, Josh

Best Answer

Answers

• vorsprung911vorsprung911 Posts: 3Members

Hi ChuckPa, I'm only getting a 500 internal server error when clicking download logs under the help tab unfortunately

Cheers

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 11,637Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

a 500 error is not good. That's the same '500' we get from web sites.. It is the same "He's dead, Jim" error.

not knowing unraid, I can only suggest the default 1) restart 2) reinstall software if it doesn't wipe your Library 3) if not cleared by this point, you will have to wipe and restart. Something corrupted it, or as I have seen with another user... he hasn't updated in months and when he did, it was too much to change. All the codecs were out of date as well as the Database schema. It ended up corrupting itself in the schema upgrade (sqlite can do that if severe)

• vorsprung911vorsprung911 Posts: 3Members

Things got even worse!

Tried restarting both unraid and plex, no change.

Deleted and reinstalled plex - all library data was still there no change, same error.

Then deleted plex and deleted the appdata/PlexMediaServer folder. Now it doesn't launch!

****** PLEX MEDIA SERVER CRASHED, CRASH REPORT WRITTEN: /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Crash Reports/1.2.7.2987-1bef33a/PLEX MEDIA SERVER/63703dcd-cdbb-f951-71425c2b-0dfa98ad.dmp
    Segmentation fault
    chown: changing ownership of ‘/config/tmp’: Operation not permitted
    chown: changing ownership of ‘/config/Library’: Operation not permitted
    chown: changing ownership of ‘/config/Library/Application Support’: Operation not permitted

Error in command line:the argument for option '--serverUuid' should follow immediately after the equal sign

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 11,637Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member
    edited November 2016

did you delete the /config directory? As I read the docs, if that doesn't exist and isn't writeable by Plex, it won't be able to initialize and start at all.

Also, when chown cannot change ownership of a directory, that means it doesn't own it to begin with OR it's not root. There is your first clue as to what's happening. Ownership & user it's being invoked as don't match up.. hence the other permission issues

• ballyrickballyrick Posts: 3Members ✭✭

I'm getting the same problem with playing content (Conversation failed...). I am able to access the log files which I can post here if you can direct me to which one.

FreeNas9.10
    plex 1.2.7

• gustavlundgustavlund Posts: 38Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same problemfor me. Also with the 1.3.0.3059 MAC OS Sierra.
    The info of the file says MPEG4 and AVI container

• JeckylPhotoJeckylPhoto Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2016

I'm getting the same codec errors on the most recent update, files I know that were working prior to the update now no longer play under the new update Version 1.2.7.2987.

Here is a file that was working prior to the update:

Media

Video Resolution 1080p
    Duration 1:59:44
    Bitrate 10081 kbps
    Width 1920
    Height 1080
    Aspect Ratio 1.78
    Container MP4
    Video Frame Rate 24p
    Web Optimized No
    Audio Profile lc
    Has 64bit Offsets 1
    Video Profile simple
    Part

File Independence Day - Resurgence.mp4
    Size 8.43 GB
    Audio Profile lc
    Container MP4
    Has 64bit Offsets 1
    Has Chapter Text Stream 1
    Has Thumbnail 1
    Web Optimized No
    Video Profile simple
    Codec MPEG4
    Bitrate 9915 kbps
    Language English
    Bit Depth 8
    Bvop 0
    Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
    Duration 1:59:43
    Frame Rate 23.976 fps
    Frame Rate Mode cfr
    Gmc 0
    Height 1080
    Pixel Format yuv420p
    Profile simple
    Qpel 0
    Ref Frames 1
    Scan Type progressive
    Stream Identifier 1
    Width 1920
    Codec AAC
    Channels Stereo
    Bitrate 152 kbps
    Audio Channel Layout stereo
    Bitrate Mode VBR
    Profile lc
    Sampling Rate 44100 Hz
    Stream Identifier 2

So the update was giving me codec rendering errors earlier, but I've since refreshed the database again and some of the files that were giving me errors are now working. I will stay on top of it. Here is another file that was giving me hiccups.

Media

Video Resolution 1080p
    Duration 3:02:33
    Bitrate 10383 kbps
    Width 1920
    Height 1080
    Aspect Ratio 1.78
    Container MP4
    Video Frame Rate 24p
    Web Optimized No
    Has 64bit Offsets 1
    Video Profile simple
    Part

File Batman vs Superman - Dawn of Justice - New.mp4
    Size 13.24 GB
    Container MP4
    Has 64bit Offsets 1
    Has Chapter Text Stream 1
    Has Thumbnail 1
    Web Optimized No
    Video Profile simple
    Codec MPEG4
    Bitrate 9923 kbps
    Language English
    Bit Depth 8
    Bvop 0
    Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
    Frame Rate 23.976 fps
    Frame Rate Mode cfr
    Gmc 0
    Height 1080
    Pixel Format yuv420p
    Profile simple
    Qpel 0
    Ref Frames 1
    Scan Type progressive
    Stream Identifier 1
    Width 1920
    Codec AC3
    Channels 5.1
    Bitrate 448 kbps
    Audio Channel Layout 5.1(side)
    Bit Depth 16
    Bitrate Mode CBR
    Dialog Norm -27 dB
    Sampling Rate 48000 Hz
    Stream Identifier 2

To be certain all your codecs are up to date (this is something I'm noticing but do not have anything definitive enough to take to the devs), perform a multi-select of your movies/videos (enable multi-select, click the first, shift-click the last), then perform Analyze on them (left margin popup box). It will reanalyze the media and download updated codecs as needed.

ChuckPa,

I'm unsure why the update would have broken the codecs that were working before though, or are you just suggesting this for others to try?

Maybe that was a bug in the latest update...The DB and files need to be re-analyzed to fix any codecs it dropped during the update?

• PhxJeepPhxJeep Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Getting Conversion failed. A required codec could not be found or failed to install. Openmediavault Plex install

What happened, which will be in your log files, is the codec download failure.

PMS 1.3.3 received a 'codec revision bump' to address issues. Those effected codecs (new minimum versions required) are called out directly by the Codec Manager and the Transcoder.

while starting a mkv file i get "not enough disk space to convert"

This is on a Raspberry PI 3 with a 500 gb usb drive

That helps me a great deal more than your log file.

Take the size of the movie (file size), roughly multiply by 2.5, this is the space PMS needs 'just in case' . It does this because it won't know until it starts transcoding whether it actually has enough space or not. Plus, if you want to rewind, play again, and then skip forward, why waste that, so it saves it to disk until done.

Wherever you have enough space for that, Set the transcoder temporary directory there (Settings - Server - Transcoder). Make certain plex:plex has ownership and 755 permission to the directory.

• KINGBAILEYKINGBAILEY Posts: 1Members

Same problem anyone have a fix for this????

• nicholasxuunicholasxuu Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Experienced the problem recently, turns out it's caused by plex.tv application having 500 error.
    Not being able to log in into plex.tv will cause local video playback to fail.

Please remove that dependency please.

The otherwise normally reliable Plex.tv server did go down last night. From what I know at this point, the central Amazon servers (AWS), where the portion of Plex.tv you see lives, stopped working. I have not yet heard why this occurred. It could have been the app or it could have been Amazon and server issues on their end. That information hasn't been reported yet.

I can concerned, and do wish to investigate further, how PMS could fail playback when it has previously downloaded the codec for that specific file during the matching and analysis stages when the file was first added to the library.

• seth586seth586 Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm running my server on FreeBSD, however had the same issues. I tried reanalyzing my media, rebuilding my database, nothing worked.

I remembered how pkg was slowing down and timing out unless I turned off my firewall and vpn, so... I tried turning off my firewall and VPN, and reanalyzed, then turned my firewall and VPN back on, and now it works!

Perhaps plex was having issues trying to download the codecs through the firewall/vpn rules...