If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Nvidia Shield TV audio-passthru audio-drop outs.

rafaelsmithrafaelsmith Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am having an issue when using audio-passthru with Plex on Shield TV.

I keep getting periodic audio-drop outs. Audio goes silent for 1-2 sec then comes back on. Video keeps playing and as far as I can tell nothing is ever out-of-sync....when audio comes back on after a dropout everything is in sync.

This happens with all my .mkv files and is pretty random. Sometimes I can go entire first half of a movie without any dropouts then start getting them every few minutes.

My AVR does not show any indication of signal loss.

Both Plex app and Shield OS are latest versions.

Answers

• sixspeedsixspeed Posts: 40Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just built a new set up consisting of an nVidia Shield and my old Mac Mini running PMS. Audi passthrough enabled to a Denon AVR and also getting exact same symptoms as you mention. Audio drop outs, no video issues, and no signal drop on the amp. Running nVidia Shield 3.3 and latest Plex and PMS (Plexpass).

• jmcguire525jmcguire525 Posts: 64Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here, happens more with DTS-HD than True-HD

• danjames92danjames92 Posts: 3,241Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Newest beta has a updated version (well more recent) of ExoPlayer so best to wait for that and see how it is then. 1.5.12 not ExoPlayer 2 (yet).

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

• sixspeedsixspeed Posts: 40Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks. Is this the nVidia Shield firmware beta?

• frequencybebopfrequencybebop Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm having the exact same problem. I have 2 Nvidia Shield TVs, and it's doing it on both of them.

• FonfinupFonfinup Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm having the exact same problem... With Denon AVR too.

• drhilldrhill Posts: 239Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I know I had problems when I had my Denon connected to my network via ethernet. Took it out and most problems went away. I still get an occasional hiccup, but that even happens when watching a blu ray so it's nothing to do with the Shield for me.

Yes, but for me it's working perfectly with Kodi, no sound drop out. so nothing to do with the shield, but Plex hum...

• bogwoppitbogwoppit Posts: 49Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Happens to mine too - MKV blu ray files with DTS-HD ma passthrough to Yamaha amp.

Is there ever going to be a version of Plex that just plays media properly?

Is there ever going to be a version of Plex that just plays media properly?

Ahah, I'm asking myself the same question !

• OptimusPlxOptimusPlx Posts: 23Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

agreed, same problem

• danjames92danjames92 Posts: 3,241Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@sixspeed said:
    Thanks. Is this the nVidia Shield firmware beta?

No I meant plex beta.

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

• spdelopespdelope Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 24

Same problem with passthrough HD audio signal (ac3, DTS, atmos, ECT) on shield (2017 model) plex client. On latest software experience 5.1

• dhanjaldhanjal Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass

Same issue for a couple of months. Also with a Denon 7200WA receiver. Video quality is better in Plex than Kodi or SPMC but these random audio drop outs are frustrating. Hopefully, Plex will resolve this soon.

• rafaelsmithrafaelsmith Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have experienced AV sync and dropout issues on the Shield with Plex, Kodi and SPMC when trying to use passthru.

However, after the recent OS upgrade for the Shield....only Plex is having problems.....Latest RC of Kodi as well as SPMC do not seem to have issues any longer. Even the Plex Kodi plugin works fine so the issue is clearly with Plex client app.

• o_springo_spring Posts: 91Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Any news on that ? I am having drops with true HD or DTS MA every 10-20 minutes.
    Setup : Android TV Plex client on Shield TV (v5.1)-> Onkyo AV TX-NR656-> Sony TV KDL 46NX700

• tripplesixtytripplesixty Posts: 80Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm also experiencing this issue on my setup with Shield (2017) passing through DTS-HD MA, and TrueHD content. I get it quite often while watching HD Bluray content. I dont notice it as much when watching lower bitrate content. Im taking a while shot in the dark here, but it seems like a buffer underrun issue where the client isn't buffering enough content to keep the audio pipeline full causing the AVR to drop audio before it can start decoding again.

My setup:
    shield (2017) -> umc-200 -> Epson 5030ub

Server: NORCO-RPC4224 Chassis / 51TB / Xeon E5-1620v3 / 16GB RAM / Ubuntu 16.04
    Local Clients: Mac Mini running Linux & PHT/PMP / Xbox One / Chromecast (2)
    Main Interface: Epson 5030UB & 110" Projection Screen / Emotiva UMC-200 & XPA-2 / Harmony Hub
    Remote Clients: Nexus 5X / Nexus 7 / Nexus Player / Chromecast / iPhone 6 / iPad Mini / Xbone
    Network: Comcast 250mb/25mb
    speedtest.net/my-result/4508674436

I have also no problem with lower bit rate content (Dolby digital or MP3 decoded as PCM stereo)

• assphaceassphace Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue with nvidia shield and plex with DTS MA pass through to Marantz SR7010. The lack of plex support and (seemingly) interest in helping its customers is annoying. I just cancelled my Plex Pass. Not giving these people any more money.

Hi,

Any news on that ? I just had the problem last week-end with TrueHD content, but only once or twice during the entire movie....