If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Amzn FireTV 2, HEVC/x265 2160p 4K video "not supported by device"

wintrmutewintrmute Posts: 21Members ✭✭
edited November 2016 in Android TV & Amazon Fire TV

I have an Amazon FireTV 2, and a 4K UHD TV.
I have confirmed that the Fire TV2 can play 4K content on the TV via other apps (eg. mrmc). (TV reports 3840x2160 resolution)
I know the FireTV2 supports HEVC/x265 video at up to 30Hz for 4K playback.

When I try to play back the following content in Plex, it gets transcoded to 1080p because my apparently my device doesn't support it.

Duration: 01:40:28.76, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 6248 kb/s
Video: hevc (Main 10), yuv420p10le(tv), 3840x1904, SAR 1:1 DAR 240:119, 23.98 fps

Any ideas about what's going wrong?

Tagged:

Answers

• jmckeejmckee Posts: 4,970Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

If you upload your server log when trying to play that file back we can tell you why the device is requesting a transcoded stream. Otherwise it could be incompatible audio, incompatible subtitles, incompatible HEVC setting, disabled direct play, and a number of other issues that would cause a transcode.

• wintrmutewintrmute Posts: 21Members ✭✭

I think I ended up figuring this out -- the HEVC profile had a deeper frame reference count than was supported, and also my version of Plex, despite being installed from the Fire TV store, wasn't up to date.

• LeiitoLeiito Posts: 75Members ✭✭

Doesn't it make more sense to use Kodi on Fire and stream 4k or even HDR content?

• wintrmutewintrmute Posts: 21Members ✭✭

I've started using MrMC (a Fire TV Kodi port with hardware acceleration) but it seems like the audio sync wavers all over the place. Whereas it's fine in Plex.

Also, I just prefer the Plex interface. It's quite nice.

• Deja.VuDeja.Vu Posts: 133Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Leiito said:
    Doesn't it make more sense to use Kodi on Fire and stream 4k or even HDR content?

On a Plex forum? I think not. Kodi is great, but the idea is to use the device for the purpose its designed for. It appears the the FireTV v2 is being held back by Plex Dev's for some reason.

I've put the 4K file on an SD card into the rear of my FireTV and it plays great natively.
    Served from the other room, on my Plex Server, it transcodes and stutters every few seconds.

plex_userbargif
    plex_userbargif
    PMS:AMD-FX8350 | 32GB RAM | Windows 10 | 12TB
  • Deja.VuDeja.Vu Posts: 133Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 18

I'd just like to add, when in Plex for Android, my TV does not re-adjust to 4K as it does when loading KODI.

Plex for KODI still transcodes because it believes 4K cannot be played by the box, even though the TV is in 4K mode and supports it. ( Is there an XML file that can be adjusted for this? )

All 4K content played directly in Plex for Android will always be transcoded as it cannot adjust the display to 4K!

Plex also only supports upto 1080p in the transcoding section (upto 20mb).

Plex really needs the ability to switch between 720p, 1080p and 4K video modes now seeing as there is now more choice and a large difference in these qualities.

plex_userbargif
    plex_userbargif
    PMS:AMD-FX8350 | 32GB RAM | Windows 10 | 12TB