Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Google Home Support?

damnfinecoffeedamnfinecoffee Members Posts: 3 ✭✭

Is google home support on the road map? This would be incredibly awesome and probably one of my most used commands. I'm looking for something like:

"Ok Google, Play [media title] from plex on [Chromecast]"

The home is really just a specialized chromecast and since plex already supports chromecast it seems like it would just be a matter of integrating with google's command input

I may have to try to do something myself using IFTTT if this is not possible because I would really kill for this feature

Answers

• hertzsaehertzsae Members, Plex Pass Posts: 11 Plex Pass

Google Home's API doesn't open up until December. Until that happens, Plex developers don't really know how hard integration will be. Judging from the Plex team's past, I'm guessing that they will be fairly quick to add support.

• damnfinecoffeedamnfinecoffee Members Posts: 3 ✭✭

Fingers crossed :)

• nicolidarkknicolidarkk Members, Plex Pass Posts: 22 Plex Pass

Just purchased my Google Home. They have them on sale for $30 bucks off. I was reading up on the multiple account support and how that it might be in the future.

Server: Gigabyte motherboard, i5 Haswell, 8 Gigs ram, 128SSD Main drive, 18 tb of WD Red storage, 3 tb of WD Green storage, 4 tb of Hitachi storage, Current version of Ubuntu Linux Desktop version, Current version of Plex Pass server

Players: 3 Gen 2 Chromecasts, 3 Android tablets, 2 Samsung S7s, 2 Xbox Ones

• taylorjoinertaylorjoiner Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Yes, please.

• bobbintbbobbintb Members, Plex Pass Posts: 108 Plex Pass
    edited December 2016

I wouldn't open that can of worms. They have been working on a Plex Alexa skill for a while and that thread has devolved into people complaining about it being vaporware and arguing over Alexa vs Home. I'm sure it will happen eventually.

• wifiwizardwifiwizard Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

IMHO being able to control your Plex Server from Google home would be one of the MOST useful interfaces I can think of. I think it may also depend on the level of complexity and specificity of the commands. I will gladly participate in an Alpha/Beta test.

• nydave69nydave69 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 11 Plex Pass

I have a Google Home and would love to see Plex support this device. I would gladly assist in it's development.

• damnfinecoffeedamnfinecoffee Members Posts: 3 ✭✭

@bobbintb said:
    I wouldn't open that can of worms. They have been working on a Plex Alexa skill for a while and that thread has devolved into people complaining about it being vaporware and arguing over Alexa vs Home. I'm sure it will happen eventually.

While the services are similar, I think that google's integration might be more straightforward since plex already supports chromecast. Now that google has opened their API on the home a bit I may take a crack at this when I have some free time

• lincthralincthra Members, Plex Pass Posts: 13 Plex Pass

I've been able to successfully go:

gHome -> IFTTT -> Maker -> custom Tornado Server

To get close to this, but I just can't accomplish getting the chromecast to play any library items within Plex from my python. I can make it play them outside of Plex, but this is obviously less than ideal.

• tonypony86@gmail.comtonypony86@gmail.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Cant wait for this! Would make Plex unbelievably more attractive than it already is...

Hey Google, play Anchorman on Plex on my TV
    Hey Google, play the latest episode of House of Cards on Plex on my TV
    Hey Google, play season 3 episode 2 of House of Cards on Plex on my TV

It would need to support all 3 of the above. Although Netflix has support now, it does not play specific episodes which is a fail. It only does Season 1, Episode 1.

• spinner735spinner735 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 14 Plex Pass

Please integrate ASAP! This should be top priority.

• kanlkanl Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

+1000, when can we expect to get Google Home Support? would love to have it thanks!

• kburns2kburns2 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 17 Plex Pass

Yes, I just saw that Alexa is supported but I have the Google Home and have it integrated with my Samsung Smartthings hub. It is amazing and having Plex support with it would be even better.
    +1000

• mceja4mceja4 Members Posts: 2

i also went with Google Home and have it integrated with my Samsung Smartthings hub i like how Google Home understands a lot better than Alexa but they Google Home is way behind they need to catch up quick to Alexa (Echo) Hopefully Plex can integrate with Google home that would be awsome

• wifiwizardwifiwizard Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

PLEASE incorporate GOOGLE HOME support. I will be more than happy to Alpha/Beta test for you.

• richstanleyrichstanley Members, Plex Pass Posts: 25 Plex Pass

+1... this would be amazing

• rossgumbrellrossgumbrell Members, Plex Pass Posts: 12 Plex Pass

+1 - really want this to be supported. works great with netflix

• bleepblorpbleepblorp Members, Plex Pass Posts: 8 Plex Pass

I am soooo looking forward to this. Please tell me your doing it! :)

Nvidia Shield Android TV as primary player

Synology DS511+ for storage

iMac as server

• ependergrassependergrass Members Posts: 16 ✭✭

+1!!!! Looking for support!

• morpher412morpher412 Members Posts: 3

+1 Support on the Google Home/Assistant would be amazing!