Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Blurry edged on 3D

mjewlmjewl Posts: 32Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

so, i just got to try 3D on my projector for the first time since i bought it.
im using a benq w1400 projector and watching movies with openPHT

the movies are in half-sbs.

for some reason the edges of the screen are blurry when im watching.
dont know how to describe it. but it feels like one of the images has the black bars on the sides, and the other image doesnt, so it becomes blurry.. sort of.

ive tried three different movies, all with the same result.

anyone know why this is happening? and what i can do to fix it? if there is anything to fix? :)

Best Answer

• mjewlmjewl Posts: 32Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

i found out its because of encodes. so i started using powerdvd and iso (mvc). works great and no loss in quality.

Answers

• dlanordlanor Posts: 2,215Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Please double-check the frame layout of those movies by playing them in a normal PC media player without 3D support (or with such support deactivated). They will then play as two images side by side in the same window, so you can directly inspect both right and left frame for any deviations. You may be able to play them this way in OpenPHT as well using different settings, but that would still leave it open to question whether OpenPHT influenced the results, so it's better to do this test with another media player.

The reason why I ask you to do this is because of some results I have seen with bad 3D-conversions in my own library, where either the left or the right frame did have borders the other did not. In some cases BOTH half-frames had border effects differing from the other.

The same may or may not be the case for your three movies, and we need to be sure of which it is before starting a 'bug hunt' in the source code... :D

Best regards: dlanor

• dlanordlanor Posts: 2,215Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2016

Please test those movies in a normal PC media player with no (or deactivated) 3D support.
    You should then see the two half-frames side by side, so you can inspect them separately.
    The same should be possible using OpenPHT with disabled 3D settings, but for this test I want to eliminate any influence of both OpenPHT and your projector, so it's best to use another media player and a normal computer monitor (or TV set).

The reason I ask you to do this is because of problems I've seen with 3D-movies in my own library.
    Some of them are badly converted, resulting in different border effects for the two half-frames.

The same may or may not be true of those three movies you tried, and we need to know for sure before starting a 'bug hunt' in the source code... :)

Best regards: dlanor

• mjewlmjewl Posts: 32Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

i found out its because of encodes. so i started using powerdvd and iso (mvc). works great and no loss in quality.