If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Rotten Tomatoes / IMDB ratings

tcarroll2tcarroll2 Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I just installed this skin and it is not showing the RT or IMDB ratings. I know the metadata is there because I can see the ratings using my iOS device. Is there something special I need to do to get these to work? The fields are displayed, but they are blank.

I am using the latest PHT v1.4.1.469-47a90f01 on macOS Sierra 10.12.1.

Thanks for any help.

MacMini 4,1 (Mid 2010)
macOS Sierra 10.12.1
16gb RAM
1TB, 7200rpm HDD
3TB WD MyBook

Best Answer

Answers

• MagnumDoomguyMagnumDoomguy Posts: 487Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

RT and IMDb ratings support is only in OpenPHT. Neither were ever added to PHT. I strongly recommend upgrading your PHT to the latest OpenPHT (currently 1.7.1) as it's much better, and at this stage it is what Aeon Nox is designed to work with. The RT and IMDb ratings will work just fine on the latest Aeon Nox 5.3.2 with OpenPHT 1.7.1.

Aeon Nox 5 Skin for OpenPHT

Like Aeon Nox 5 and want to donate some money to help support development? Click here to donate.

• tcarroll2tcarroll2 Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Roger that. Seems Plex has some serious identity issues going on. There are now three forks from what I can see (PHP, PMP, OPHT).

I grabbed OPHT 1.71 and installed it. When I moved the skins over from the PHT install and tried to configure them it told me there was a new Aeon Nox 5.3.2, to which I had it install and I configured. Now I don't see the RT ratings. I guess this is no longer a part of this new skin version?

MacMini 4,1 (Mid 2010)
    macOS Sierra 10.12.1
    16gb RAM
    1TB, 7200rpm HDD
    3TB WD MyBook

edited November 2016

@tcarroll2,

No real identity issue. PHT was made by Plex, Inc. They abandoned that in favour of PMP (blah!). PMP is Plex, Inc.'s current client for computers. OpenPHT is third party software, not made by Plex, Inc.-- the members of the OpenPHT team (which includes me) do not work for Plex, Inc. Just a bunch of volunteers working for free on a better Plex client. I see no identity issue here.

As for the RT ratings -- not a glitch all. It works as intended. The ratings come from your Plex Server. If a movie has RT ratings scraped, then Nox shows that, if a movie has IMDb ratings scraped, Nox shows the IMDb rating. It's displaying what you have on your server.

On the server end when it scrapes the metadata for the movies, if you have it set to prefer RT ratings, it'll make a best-effort to get them, but many movies on not on the RT site at all, so if it can't get a RT rating, it falls back to IMDb, if it can't then get an IMDb rating it falls back to TMDB (rare, but there are some titles on TMDB which aren't on IMDb).

Like Aeon Nox 5 and want to donate some money to help support development? Click here to donate.

My concern with the identity issue is that Plex, Inc. will lock down PMS to not communicate with anything but it's own PMP, thereby alienating all the OpenPHT loyalists out there and securing it's identity as THE Plex platform.

I'm a Plex Pass member and I don't want to go down a road with OpenPHT if at a later time I will have to backtrack and become a PMP user because that is all that is available to work with PMS. It seems to me that there is risk going with OpenPHT in that it will not be able to utilize all the bells and whistles that Plex, Inc. may later implement with their service.

As for RT/IMDB ratings, I have a movie on my server, Avengers: Age of Ultron, that does not show RT or IMDB ratings. Why? That movie is listed on both sites and is rated on them. Why does it not come through on my server? I performed a refresh and it does not display the ratings even though they are on both RT and IMDB. Is OpenPHT missing something, or is there something I need to do to ensure these ratings come through?

MacMini 4,1 (Mid 2010)
    macOS Sierra 10.12.1
    16gb RAM
    1TB, 7200rpm HDD
    3TB WD MyBook

OpenPHT pulls all metadata from your Plex server. You have it backwards. You have a problem with your server. OpenPHT is accurately displaying the data on your server.

The official Plex clients ALSO do not show RT ratings if the movie on your server doesn't have RT ratings. Take your example above with the Age of Ultron. Does it show RT ratings on Plex Web? Or any official Plex client? I'm confident it doesn't. OpenPHT, like the official Plex Clients, shows the metadata that's on your server.

And there's no "risk" in using OpenPHT. OpenPHT connects to the Plex server the same way all the official Plex clients do. For Plex, Inc. to intentionally break OpenPHT and all other third party clients they would need to break their own official clients and rewrite all of them (which would be a lot of time and money). New features added to PMS are often supported and added to OpenPHT faster than the official clients.

@MagnumDoomguy said:
    OpenPHT pulls all metadata from your Plex server. You have it backwards. You have a problem with your server. OpenPHT is accurately displaying the data on your server.

The official Plex clients ALSO do not show RT ratings if the movie on your server doesn't have RT ratings. Take your example above with the Age of Ultron. Does it show RT ratings on Plex Web? Or any official Plex client? I'm confident it doesn't. OpenPHT, like the official Plex Clients, shows the metadata that's on your server.

So why doesn't the refresh grab the information from RT and IMDB? Do I need to delete the movie (move it out of the Plex library) refresh, then put it back in and refresh again? Is this something I need to take over to the PMS discussions?

And there's no "risk" in using OpenPHT. OpenPHT connects to the Plex server the same way all the official Plex clients do. For Plex, Inc. to intentionally break OpenPHT and all other third party clients they would need to break their own official clients and rewrite all of them (which would be a lot of time and money). New features added to PMS are often supported and added to OpenPHT faster than the official clients.

Awesome. Makes me feel more confident in OpenPHT then.

MacMini 4,1 (Mid 2010)
    macOS Sierra 10.12.1
    16gb RAM
    1TB, 7200rpm HDD
    3TB WD MyBook

@tcarroll2 said:
    So why doesn't the refresh grab the information from RT and IMDB? Do I need to delete the movie (move it out of the Plex library) refresh, then put it back in and refresh again? Is this something I need to take over to the PMS discussions?

That would be best -- your issue is neither a Nox nor OpenPHT issue.