If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex for Kodi UI/UX Discussion

keithahkeithah Posts: 1,330Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
edited November 2016 in Plex for Kodi

Please keep this thread with questions regarding the new UI and I will move threads related to this topic here.

Tagged:

Comments

• xelraxelra Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2016

I miss the horizontal split. If you want to go to another category and watch something else, the "click-length" is very far with this new design.
    I also think the gradients in the background don't look so good. Something textured might look more modern and also not lead to such heavy banding on many displays.

• jenkinsmorgan04jenkinsmorgan04 Posts: 46Members ✭✭

@keithah I am having an issue during playback, the video information such as runtime the clock and video name are displaying and there does not seem to be a way to hide it?

• keithahkeithah Posts: 1,330Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

hit 'esc' or 'back' should hide the OSD.

@keithah sorry, another issue, the dialog that is displayed when exiting the app or when resuming playback the text is displaying outside the button. Could supply further information and screenshots if perhaps it is a device specific issue?

@keithah regarding the hit esc or back it just exits playback if i do that. The buttons do not display only the video information

@keithah seems both my issues had something to do with the theme I was using on Kodi or possibly an addon the theme was using. After changing back to Confluence everything was fine, the theme in question was a modded version of Eminence 2.0 so don't think it should be an issue, won't open a new thread.

• mmccurdymmccurdy The Official Mike M Posts: 842Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@xelra said:
    I miss the horizontal split. If you want to go to another category and watch something else, the "click-length" is very far with this new design.

Can you elaborate a little bit? What is the "horizontal split"? Can you give a specific example of something that takes more clicks with this design?

• BreezytmBreezytm Posts: 995Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am away right now, can't really try it but when you install the add-on, does it automatically install the new skin or something? If that is the skin, it looks pretty dope.
    https://www.plex.tv/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/image-block-kodi-5-1600x1050.jpg

Correct, the add-on showcases a brand new UI!

• FIGHTFIGHT Posts: 124Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

that new UI is that default look when you install this addon or what?? :)

PMS Server: Windows 2012 R2, Intel Core i7 4770 Haswell, 32GB DDR3 Ram, 256 SSD, 3 x 5TB WD-RED,  

TV: Samsung 55" D8005 + 48" H5515 + 40" D5505 + 22" F5405
    Streamers: 3 x Chromecast + Xiaomi Mi Box + Raspberry Pi 3
    Computer: Lenovo T450 + Desktop computer.
    Mobil: Samsung S6, Android Samsung Alpha + Ipad 2 + 2 x Ipad Mini

Yes, it's the UI that comes with the add-on by default, and the only UI the add-on is officially supporting.

• moe2046moe2046 Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I don't know if this is by design or a bug but when I press the back key it highlights the home button in the top left rather then do what I expect it to do which is go back to the previous screen.

Also in the Music section I seem to be unable to change the default layout of Artist to Album, I am guessing where it says artist is where I would get a drop down but I actually don't seem to be able to highlight this.

Thanks for your feedback @moe2046! The back key is by design. The 'esc' key does what you want, but I understand most remotes don't have a button like that.

About the music section sorting, that's definitely something we need to add, I've updated this ticket to reflect Albums as well:
    https://github.com/plexinc/plex-for-kodi/issues/1

• ALIESSAALIESSA Posts: 58Members ✭✭

can the files in plex not be integrated into the regular kodi interface? seems kinda pointless when its just another plex app.

@ALIESSA not at the moment, no. We wanted to get this experience right before figuring out the best way to do Library integration.

• mini.PLEXmini.PLEX Posts: 302Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@keithah ...really nice UI looking fwd to see how this addon develops, Ive been running PlexKodiConnect with Kodi for some time now and have loved the freedom Kodi enables me to customise to my likening.... this addon seems to tick all the boxes too.

I have been using PKC to create kodi main menu items as direct links to my plex playlists... I use Plex playlists a lot in order to bring the collections/genres I access frequently to the forefront. I don't use music playlists with Plex... I would really love to see the Plex playlists with Kodi open up as per the movie views. rather than a list view (with just the fanart thumb). Could this please be considered? alternatively the ability to add other menu items to the plex addon main horizontal menu?

thanks for all the great work!

 Mac mini | mac OSX High Sierra V10.13.3 | 2.6GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 | 16GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
    Server: PMS 1.11.1
    Clients: PMP 2.4.0 | iOS iPhone 6s | apple TV4
    Clients: Kodi 18 | Plex for Kodi addon v0.1.1 | PlexKodiConnect v1.8.11
    Storage: 4x WD 4TB USB 3.0 Hard Drives
    Receiver: Panasonic Viera TX-50DX700B | Pioneer AV SX-SW55

• stefanvanruitenstefanvanruiten Posts: 315Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

the home screen is a iittle sparse in my case. a lot of black, one movie to continue watching and one show on deck, the rest is empty space making it a big dark canvas with just the categories and 1 movie poster.

@mini.PLEX Thanks for the feedback! I will bug the guys in charge of the UI/UX and point them at your post.

• xelraxelra Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2016

@mmccurdy said:

@xelra said:

Can you elaborate a little bit? What is the "horizontal split"? Can you give a specific example of something that takes more clicks with this design?

The horizontal split I mentioned is how the design was in PHT. Where you had the categories always visible and accessible on the left side.
    With the new design, when you want to switch categories, you always have to go to the very top, then switch categories, then go down again.
    That you're "traveling very far" is especially noticeable when simply browsing in different categories, without watching. Especially when you're interested in sub-categories that are listed very low on the page. You always have to traverse all the other sub-categories, without being able to just skip directly to them.

For example if I browse recently added movies from the home view, I have to go up to recently added tv -> on deck -> currently watching -> change category to movies -> go down to recently released movies -> recently added movies -> top movies in animation -> top movies by -> top unwatched movies -> then I can browse my recently viewed movies. After browsing those, I have to go all the way back and can't just go to the left panel and the whole process repeats itself.