Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex doesn't pass Dolby Digital anymore

martinusxmartinusx Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

I used to play my movies and music using plex on my ipad and send the output to appletv 2. But after updating Pms recently, all digital sound gets converted to PCM. Previously, there used to be the option "Enable Dolby Digital on Apple TV"', but It seems to be removed.

Is there an other way to get digital sound? Or can it be reintroduced? Without Digital sound, plex is useless to me. It used ro be a great service, but dropping important options is a big nono, in my oppinion!

Answers

• SVXDAN83SVXDAN83 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 38 Plex Pass

Is this problem specific to just your Apple TV? If so, try going into the settings for the Apple TV and change the surround sound settings. (Settings -> Audio and Video -> Surround Sound)

Change the setting to "Dolby Digital 5.1" instead of "Best Quality Available" or "Auto". Forcing it to Dolby Digital 5.1 will make the Apple TV output the audio encoded in DD 5.1 instead of LPCM. It is possible your receiver is not reading the LPCM information correctly. There may also be a way to adjust the settings of the input on your receiver to have it properly accept the LPCM so you can leave the Apple TV settings alone.

• nicroninicroni Members Posts: 11 ✭✭

I am having this exact same problem. Using Airplay on my iPhone 6 to my Apple TV (3rd Gen) that's connected to my receiver, I would always get 5.1 sound but after the latest update, I only get PCM/Stereo/Pro Logic sound. Settings have not been changed on the iOS app, Apple TV, receiver and my Plex Media Server (on Windows/Web) when 5.1 sound suddenly stopped working.

I have tried various methods to try and get it back but I firmly believe there's a bug either in the iOS app, PMS or both. I'd really appreciate an explanation or a fix to get digital surround working again.

• danoverdanover Members Posts: 2

Yes, this seems to be a real problem...

• m_listedm_listed Members Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited December 2016

This worked for PlexConnect, but it does nothing for the AirPlay player, which is not connected to PlexConnect. Still, thanks for the link!

• ULTRA77ULTRA77 Members Posts: 22 ✭✭

Can't get DD working.

When is there going to be an update to the master, anyone heard?

• martinusxmartinusx Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

I could do a Windows Restore to before the update of Plex (first time that worked) and I have my digital sound back. I cannot updat my PMS anymore though. Which is fine, as long as the ipad client can work with older versions of Plex.

Still, I wouldbprefer plex to reintroduce this essential feature!

Since their Twitter page asked me to provide these things so that they'll look into the issue...

In addition to the above post.

• martinusxmartinusx Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

My client now keeps reporting that a server update is available. Does anyone know if this issue has been resolved? To get digital sound on my appletv 2?

Also, does anyone know if older versions of plex are available for download? Then I could try myself.

• danoverdanover Members Posts: 2

I'd also like to know if this issue has been resolved... !

• moody_bluemoody_blue Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 2,479 Plex Ninja

Moved to iOS forum because this question is not related to PlexConnect.

QNAP TS-253A 4G QTS 4.3.3.0229 + PMS 1.7.4 + QPython2 2.7.12.0 + PlexConnect 0.5-dev-230417

TV Sony KDL-32V2500 (720p) + aTV3 Rev. A firmware 7.2.2 + Denon AVR-1604 A/V Receiver 5.1 + Harmony Touch

Portables 1x iPad4, 2x Android phone, 1x Android tablet, 2x PMP

No support via PM unless requested by me