Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

XBOX ONE S 4K playback switches to 1080P about 30 Seconds into the playback

wesmanwesman Posts: 584 Plex Pass

Just setup my XBOX ONE S and was playing a 4K movies, all seemed to be working fine, then, it freezes, and starts playing again, but in 1080P (Log Attached)

Best Answer

Answers

• MoussaMoussa Posts: 1,335 Plex Employee

Hi there. It's not possible that you were direct playing before, I'm not sure why PlexPy is reporting that. DCA-MA cannot be direct played on the Xbox One app and so a transcode must have been necessary from the beginning. Direct streaming with HEVC is not possible to the Xbox One at the moment so the video stream was transcoded too.

• wesmanwesman Posts: 584 Plex Pass

@Moussa said:
    Hi there. It's not possible that you were direct playing before, I'm not sure why PlexPy is reporting that. DCA-MA cannot be direct played on the Xbox One app and so a transcode must have been necessary from the beginning. Direct streaming with HEVC is not possible to the Xbox One at the moment so the video stream was transcoded too.

Do you mean not at all? because this is the Plex "Now Playing" and it's ONLY 4K, i dont have other versions of that movie.

That's very odd. The app definitely cannot decode that audio codec, and so I have no idea why it'd try to direct play that file (if it actually is). Your logs seem to agree Nov 30, 2016 13:02:53.613 [1172] DEBUG - MDE: Deadpool (2016): no direct play video profile exists for http/mkv/hevc/dca. Do you see transcoder CPU usage when playback initially starts?

@Moussa said:
    That's very odd.

Indeed and its getting more Odd. In attempting to check the Transcode CPU usage, the whole thing crashed.. So, I cleaned up and tried to repeats. Here's what I have (sorry this is long)

The XBOX ONE S Starts to direct play the file (confirmed in "Now Playing") - NO Transcoding is happening, you can see my CPU usage (at 20 seconds in).

It gets about 30 second into the movie, but now, instead of switching to Transcoding, it crashes, you can see it tries to transcode (CPU) - But you can see the process is terminated.

I pulled the LOGS while it was direct playing and After the crash.. Now, I had to reboot the whole server to get Plex to run again. I tried just launching Plex, but it would immediately crash.

I was able to clean up and do it again, 30 seconds in it flips from Direct Play, to Transcode, and the PlexTranscoder.exe pop up after the freeze and starts working properly.. no crash.

Log attached.

in the last Log you can see it starts playing around here

Nov 30, 2016 18:22:39.995 [2248] DEBUG - Play progress on 97176 'Deadpool' - got played 655309 ms by account 1!
    Nov 30, 2016 18:22:39.995 [2248] DEBUG - It took 0.000000 ms to retrieve 106 items.
    Nov 30, 2016 18:22:40.011 [2248] DEBUG - It took 0.000000 ms to retrieve 106 items.
    Nov 30, 2016 18:22:40.011 [2248] DEBUG - Audio Stream: 306456, Subtitle Stream: -1

But doesn't complain about it until ~40 Seconds in..

Nov 30, 2016 18:23:27.269 [4324] DEBUG - MDE: Deadpool (2016): Direct Play is disabled
    Nov 30, 2016 18:23:27.269 [4324] DEBUG - MDE: Deadpool (2016): media must be transcoded in order to use the hls protocol
    Nov 30, 2016 18:23:27.269 [4324] DEBUG - MDE: Deadpool (2016): selected audio stream is not the first audio stream and direct play stream selection is not enabled
    Nov 30, 2016 18:23:27.269 [4324] DEBUG - MDE: Deadpool (2016): no direct play video profile exists for http/mkv/hevc/dca

Still going through your logs to understand what's happening here. Also could you set your logging level to debug instead of verbose? verbose is super noisy in this situation :)

@Moussa said:
    Still going through your logs to understand what's happening here. Also could you set your logging level to debug instead of verbose? verbose is super noisy in this situation :)

Sure, I can change it.

did you discover how its Direct Playing?

From what I can see in the logs it's a very confusing situation. Do you actually hear the audio when it's direct playing? That shouldn't be possible. If you can, could you provide a sample file?

edited December 2016

@Moussa said:
    From what I can see in the logs it's a very confusing situation. Do you actually hear the audio when it's direct playing? That shouldn't be possible. If you can, could you provide a sample file?

Sure, I did Three Things

1.) Repeated the Error and Took a new Log (non verbose)
    2.) Took a sample file as you requested using the Plex Transcoder Method
    3.) Took a small hand held video of the whole thing happening.. I know its not requested but, hey, just to make sure I am not crazy and doing something wrong..

Also, be sure to select the SECOND audio file, 5.1, if you pick the 7.1 it transcodes immediately

Its Tremendously large, even a 120 seconds of a 4K movie is big, so ill pm you the link

So, I wasn't crazy right? it was playing 4K for a bit before stopping, right?

Hey there. Sorry this one took a while to figure out, but I have the answer now. The file was indeed direct playing, the log was outputting a confusing message about which audio track was selected that tripped me up. As to why it stops direct playing and then starts transcoding it's likely because the transcoder encounters an error during playback and so it falls back to transcode so it can continue. Does playback always stop at the same point in the video?

About the same amount of time, 30 second, regardless of where you start.

I thought Xbox wouldn't play 4k

Not sure what's up with the file. In the case of direct playing we're passing the file URL directly to the Xbox One video player. If it reports an error (as it does here) then we have no choice but to either stop playback completely or fall back to transcoding (which is what we do). I can't explain why the Xbox One video player is erroring on that video, it could be a multitude of reasons.

The Xbox One will happily direct play 4K content as long as its encoded as HEVC or MPEG4 :)

• cgruppocgruppo Posts: 7 Plex Pass

I have 2, 4k videos neither are direct playing. I have tried on the xbox one and on my Sony with the Plex app. When I check the status it just shows that it is trans coding or direct play. How can I see what resolution it is playing at, and why will it not direct play?

@cgruppo It will only direct play if both the video and audio codecs are compatible. There is also currently a limitation where if the audio stream needs to be transcoded then the video stream will have to too if it's a HEVC stream.

It is an HEVC codec with ACC audio. If I am understanding what you are saying I can't direct play this. If that is true when it is encoding is it encoding in 1080 or 4k?

Do you mean AAC? IF so, that should direct play but it's hard to say the reason why it is transcoding without seeing server logs. If a transcode is necessary it will transcode down to 1080p, as H264 is the only codec we can transcode to and that has a resolution limit of 1080p on the Xbox One and Xbox One S.

I have attached the logs

@cgruppo Looks like there's something the Xbox One doesn't like about the audio track that is triggering a transcode. Can you share the media XML for the problematic item?