If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Connection refused to my.plexapp.com after trying the addon

EdismanEdisman Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I installed the addon to Kodi, but when I clicked the sign in button, I kept getting thrown back out to the Kodi interface.

So I checked the Kodi log and noticed this:
ConnectionError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='my.plexapp.com', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /pins.xml (Caused by NewConnectionError('<requests.packages.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x7fbf1e15a110>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 111] Connection refused',))

And when I browse to https://my.plexapp.com in Chrome, I get ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED errors. Browsing to the same address from my mobile network works fine.

So my questions are:
Could the addon contain a bug that flooded your site with requests, activating some sort of anti-DoS measure?
Or could this be caused by some other device running plex on my network?
Is anyone able to take a closer look? I'm a bit hesitant to post my IP here but I'd gladly provide it in a private message.

Best Answers

Answers

• EdismanEdisman Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Fair enough. I just thought I should raise it here since it seemed like more than coincidence and since I haven't signed into Plex from any other devices recently.

• keithahkeithah Posts: 1,294Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Do any devices work? I would think if you're getting connection refused to my.plexapp.com that none of myplex works now.

• keithahkeithah Posts: 1,294Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Glad you got it working and let us know what you think of the add-on! Also I hadn't seen pi-hole, that looks pretty neat. If I wasn't already running ad-blocking on my asusWRT router I would look into it further. :)

• TinMan11TinMan11 Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Edisman said:
    Well, it appears that my Pi-hole is a bit overzealous with the ad filtering tonight. Changed my DNS to 8.8.8.8 and everything is peachy. Sorry for the bother but thanks for the assistance. :)

I'm having the same issue but really don't want to give up my pi-hole (it's great at ad blocking). Is there any way around this?

Whitelist my.plexapp.com in the pi-hole?

• TinMan11TinMan11 Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@keithah Tried that; white-listed both my.plexapp.com and plexapp.com but still no go.

No idea, never used a pi-hole. You need to talk to them to see why they are blocking it.

• EdismanEdisman Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I whitelisted my.plexapp.com, plexapp.com and plex.tv and it works for me now. Just make sure to update the filters after whitelisting since it's applied when the filters are generated.