Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Apple Remote volume control

decezedeceze Members Posts: 4 ✭✭

Please change the default button configuration for the Apple Remote to enable volume control during playback. This has worked perfectly in Home Theater, why must it be broken in Media Player?

Any functionality that is available from the OSD does not need to be mapped to a remote button, like cycling subtitles, audio tracks or various speeds of forwarding. I'll happily do without those things as a direct button. The one and only thing that is not available via the OSD is volume control, and it's a pretty critical functionality.

I do not wish to switch to a different remote with more buttons (everyone in my household gets the super simple Apple Remote), I do not wish to place a keyboard somewhere and try not to touch it accidentally, and I also don't wish to get up every time I might need to adjust the volume.

The button mapping in Home Theater was perfect, please keep it that way.

Comments

• tobiashietatobiashieta Plex Dev Team Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 5,528 Plex Employee

It's a current limitation in PMP that you can't map buttons differently during navigation and during playback. It's something we want to fix in the future for sure.

Follow me on twitter @tobiashieta or G+

• decezedeceze Members Posts: 4 ✭✭

You're talking about custom inputmaps? While an inputmap could solve that, and would be very much an appreciated solution, I'm also trying to argue that the current defaults are wrong.

• kyleboylekyleboyle Members Posts: 1

Im looking forward to being able to map different functions based on navigation vs playback. You can map volume up and down to your remote's up and down directions, but then you can't navigate up or down!

• autoservernoteautoservernote Members Posts: 4 ✭✭

+1 deceze
    The current defaults are simply wrong, volume control is a basic requirement during playback.
    No one will want to use a more complex remote with a mac setup and neither handle the fuss of multiple remotes.
    Since there is no real volume leveling feature available, when a movie goes significantly up in volume (let's say an action scene) I need to have the remote on hand to balance it out, now I need 2 - or stay with PHT.

• BoomenBoomen Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

I agree with all above. The old mapping (https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/202594808-Apple-Remote-Button-Mapping) was great. The new mapping (https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/208052807-Controlling-the-App) to move forward by 10 minutes is useless. Doing a search on the forum it seems like allot of people are having volume control issues. It works fine using a keyboard with +/- buttons, but it's supposed to be a media player for TV.

• bemarsbemars Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

I agree with the problem: the volume must remain mapped to the Apple Remote, also the direct launching of PMP with the menu button. Sadly, these points make the current application unusable from a Mac Mini with a remote only, which is my case. I am stuck with the good old PHT meanwhile.

• katzkatz Members, Plex Pass Posts: 126 Plex Pass

Thanks for this post, ive marked to watch it. As im in the progress of moving from Apple TV back to my Mac Mini as the main player.

• autoservernoteautoservernote Members Posts: 4 ✭✭

@tobiashieta a response and plan would be appreciated.
    This is a bad regression from the experience of PHT.

• lezardonlezardon Members, Plex Pass Posts: 94 Plex Pass
    edited January 2017

I have resolved this problem by using Remote Buddy. With this software, you can map your apple remote with the "+" and "-" for volume control on "up" and "down" press buttons,

My devices: Synology DS2415+ (5 WD red 3TB, 2 WD red 6TB, 4 Samsung 1TB) , Synology DS508 (5 WD red 3TB), Synology DS112j (1 WD 3TB), Panasonic TH-42PV8H, Mac mini late 2012, Apple TV2, Apple TV3, Vortexbox on SSD Crucial M550, Hackintosh on P5Q+Radeon 5850, Inspiron 3521 running Windows 10, Sennheiser RS220, DAC iBAsso, WIFI network ac with 3 Airport Extreme, ethernet network CAT7, Sonos system.

• katzkatz Members, Plex Pass Posts: 126 Plex Pass

@lezardon said:
    I have resolved this problem by using Remote Buddy. With this software, you can map your apple remote with the "+" and "-" for volume control on "up" and "down" press buttons,

Great thanks, what have you mapped left and right for?

edited January 2017

I let the left and right button as default, and I have mapped the "select" button as "i" (long press) in order to get the technical informations about the movie. I have also mapped the "menu" to change the display ratio. For volume, I have mapped the "long press" up and down so that I still can get the 10mn +/- as default. That's really great now.

My devices: Synology DS2415+ (5 WD red 3TB, 2 WD red 6TB, 4 Samsung 1TB) , Synology DS508 (5 WD red 3TB), Synology DS112j (1 WD 3TB), Panasonic TH-42PV8H, Mac mini late 2012, Apple TV2, Apple TV3, Vortexbox on SSD Crucial M550, Hackintosh on P5Q+Radeon 5850, Inspiron 3521 running Windows 10, Sennheiser RS220, DAC iBAsso, WIFI network ac with 3 Airport Extreme, ethernet network CAT7, Sonos system.

• aaronleegunnaaronleegunn Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

Hi, I can't follow some of your advice. All I know is that my iOS apps use to have a volume slider. And now, they don't.

Any help please.

I would be happy to help, but you need to be more precise. Why do you mention IOS devices ? We are speaking about PMP for mac.

• gplansgplans Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Why was this not resolved in the latest Plex theater release?

It was done in the older versions??

• plexoplexo Members Posts: 13 ✭✭

Hi, is this still being considered?
    Seems like a deal breaker for actually using the apple remote to me...

• inzebackinzeback Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass
    edited May 2017

Please address this development
    Mapping volume on up/down and few seconds skip foreward/backward on left/right is the optimal control you have with this limited remote.

Also quitting playback pressing menu is also a heart breaker while the menu bar is on display

• walkhalilywalkhalily Members, Plex Pass Posts: 15 Plex Pass

I just screwed up my whole setup by removing PHT (because it showed some weird libraries i actually didnt have - so i wanted to reinstall) and afterwards finding out that plex doesnt offer PHT even for download anymore. Now i´m stuck with the "improved" media player and wasting hours on finding out how to start this media player using helper apps like remote buddy and trying to solve this volume problem. i am using plex for years now and i constantly adjust the volume while viewing. this is really a problem and not just for me - but obviously no solution ahead.
    any feedback from plex devs?

and @lezardon
    I cant set up remote buddy to adjust the volume. remote buddy simply doesnt offer "increase/decrease volume" actions:
    https://snag.gy/qZwVRK.jpg

Hi Walkhalily,

Assuming that the hotkeys for volume in PMP is "+" and "-", you have to create a new keystrokes set in the RB menu. I send you some screenshots for your guidance. This works perfectly as in PHT. Hope this help.

• BoomenBoomen Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass
    via Email
    Hey Walkhalily,

Have you tried openPHT instead of plex media player.
    It works great for me. It’s exactly like the old PHT interface and way
    better.
    It’s what I’ve been using ever since they “upgrade”

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/264209/release-openpht-1-8-0/p1
    Link to the download in Github at the bottom of the post.

On June 17, 2017 at 10:12:13 PM, lezardon (forums+d247286-s6025034@plex.tv)
    wrote:

Plex Forums http://forums.plex.tv/
    lezardon commented on Apple Remote volume control

Hi Walkhalily,

Assuming that the hotkeys for volume in PMP is "+" and "-", you have to
    create a new keystrokes set in the RB menu. I send you some screenshots for
    your guidance. This works perfectly as in PHT. Hope this help.
  • walkhalilywalkhalily Members, Plex Pass Posts: 15 Plex Pass

@lezardon
    thanks a lot for the hint. i tried it and it worked. allthough not exactly in the way you desribed with your screenshots.
    i had to assign the volume controls to "Up (held)" and "Down (held)"
    Because assigning them to "Up" and "Down" just simply renders the remote useless inside PMP. It takes away the up/down navigation. I would love to use it the way you have set it up. Because now the volume controls are working but since they need to wait for a couple of seconds to kick in it makes controlling the volume a rather dreadful experience. but at least it works.

@Boomen
    Thanks to you, too! I installed OpenPHT and it was a wonderful experience. Up to the last minutes after having set up everything perfectly i had to realize that it isnt working with my apple remote. Simply didnt respond. Rebooted. Reinstalled.
    Nothing helped. That was really frustrating.
    But I was so happy to about OpenPHT so I even tried using Remote Buddy to circumvent that apple remote stuff (allthough it seems stupid to use Remote Buddy with OpenPHT since it is bragging to be compatible with so many remote including the apple remote). But even Remote Buddy couldnt really help. Because regardless of what i set up the volume controls would just simply be displayed but not changed upon using the remote.
    After 1 wasted hour I gave up and now i´m back to using the all new shiny Plex Media Player with Remote Buddy as a workaround for starting Plex (long press menu button) and controlling the volume (long press up/down).

All in all I am for the first time really deeply disappointed by what plex is delivering. I just cant get my mind over the fact that they made controlling the volume so inaccessible. I just would love to read an explanation for this stuff since it seems just senseless to me at the moment.
    I discovered the new Plex Media Player long time ago and didnt use it for a reason. Now i wasted much time, have to buy additional helper software and the result is a significant deterioration in user experience.

Well, obviously a background section of my brain will from now be on the watch for alternatives. A task i didnt have to do since years having been a satisfied plex user.