Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

green artifact during streaming [x265 10bit] [AAC 5.1] [MKV]

2»

Answers

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 15,492 Plex Employee

@fawzi@breidi.com said:
    i know they rely a lot on the client to play the videos but why they dont invest in adding codecs like other popular video players.

The Plex app uses Google's Exoplayer, which doesn't allow adding external codecs.

• KarlDagKarlDag Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,683 Plex Pass

@fawzi@breidi.com said:

@KarlDag said:

@fawzi@breidi.com said:
    i wonder why we ever need to transcode any file? mx player with extra codecs can play any file. i wonder why plex on tv doesnt allow such features.

If your client supports the file format/codecs you don't need to transcode. If you're using a client limited in terms of codecs support, like iOS/tvOS devices, then your server has to transcode the files so they're playable on that device.

i know they rely a lot on the client to play the videos but why they dont invest in adding codecs like other popular video players. for example i am using nvidia shield and more often than not, it have to transcode AC3 format

It's a matter of royalties. Since they're for profit and not open source, they'd have to pay fees that Kodi doesn't have to.

Also, your ShieldTV shouldn't have to transcode AC3, ever, unless you're listening through headphones plugged in your remote. If it does transcode AC3 in other situations, there's something up with your files.

• fawzi@breidi.comfawzi@breidi.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass

@KarlDag said:

@fawzi@breidi.com said:

@KarlDag said:

@fawzi@breidi.com said:
    i wonder why we ever need to transcode any file? mx player with extra codecs can play any file. i wonder why plex on tv doesnt allow such features.

If your client supports the file format/codecs you don't need to transcode. If you're using a client limited in terms of codecs support, like iOS/tvOS devices, then your server has to transcode the files so they're playable on that device.

i know they rely a lot on the client to play the videos but why they dont invest in adding codecs like other popular video players. for example i am using nvidia shield and more often than not, it have to transcode AC3 format

It's a matter of royalties. Since they're for profit and not open source, they'd have to pay fees that Kodi doesn't have to.

Also, your ShieldTV shouldn't have to transcode AC3, ever, unless you're listening through headphones plugged in your remote. If it does transcode AC3 in other situations, there's something up with your files.

maybe it is transcoding AC3 because in my settings i selected stereo and not surround since i have 2 channels and not 5. converting 5.1 to 2 requires transcoding. adding any subtitle to any video also requires transcoding.

at this point plex should find a way to integrate third party video player that tracks progress

edited February 15

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    As in the transcoder is the HW transcoder in the Shield, which we don't control. Looking to verify and look for solution.

Are we any closer to a fix? This and the smb missing files are the only two issues really keeping me from using Shield as my server... And since rcombs is working on HW transcoding, maybe some code is shared?

Edit @MovieFan.Plex

For the record I contacted the program manager or the Shield Insider program about this and they said they're aware and working on a fix. Hopefully they're quicker than Plex about fixing issues.

• karisabaskarisabas Members, Plex Pass Posts: 28 Plex Pass
    edited February 27

Green screen happens on my Mi Box. Plex Media Player on the PC handles it fine with direct play. Android App on my phone automically transcodes it even though it handles x265 (Nexus 6P)

• Olivier.75Olivier.75 Members Posts: 61 ✭✭

Yeah... right now I have to encode in 8bit ... wich looks dreadfull in dark scenes and subtle gradients (banding)...
    I hate it

@Olivier.75 said:
    Yeah... right now I have to encode in 8bit ... wich looks dreadfull in dark scenes and subtle gradients (banding)...
    I hate it

I'm not super knowledgeable in this technical stuff, but isn't 8bit what we've use in the past decade, and everyone was happy with? Why would it be so bad now?

@KarlDag said:

@Olivier.75 said:
    I hate it

I'm not super knowledgeable in this technical stuff, but isn't 8bit what we've use in the past decade, and everyone was happy with? Why would it be so bad now?

Not everyone was happy with it... far from it
    But if you dont care about quality, feel free to keep watching VHS tapes :)

@Olivier.75 said:

@KarlDag said:

@Olivier.75 said:
    I hate it

I'm pretty sure Plex reencodes in 10bits when it's transcoding anyway, so the source level doesn't really matter... Unless you direct play, in which case this issue doesn't matter.

edited March 10

@KarlDag said:

@Olivier.75 said:

@KarlDag said:

@Olivier.75 said:
    I hate it

I'm pretty sure Plex reencodes in 10bits when it's transcoding anyway, so the source level doesn't really matter... Unless you direct play, in which case this issue doesn't matter.

It most definitely matters.
    If the source is 8bit it will be transcoded to 8bit if the source is 10bit it 'should' transcode to 10bit if the client supports it, but something is going wrong currently when transcoding 10bit (thats what this topic is about).

You mentioned you're not very technical knowledgable and thats ok, but pls dont argue about things you dont know.

@Olivier.75 said:

@KarlDag said:

@Olivier.75 said:

@KarlDag said:

@Olivier.75 said:
    I hate it

It most definitely matters.
    If the source is 8bit it will be transcoded to 8bit if the source is 10bit it 'should' transcode to 10bit, but something is going wrong currently when transcoding 10bit (thats what this topic is about).

You mentioned you're not very technical knowledgable and thats ok, but pls dont argue about things you dont know.

What I meant to say is that I'm pretty sure it transcodes in 8bits, which is why it shouldn't matter. I'll try to find the link.

PS not being knowledgeable in the deep technical nature of video formats doesn't mean I don't know a lot about how Plex works.

@KarlDag said:

What I meant to say is that I'm pretty sure it transcodes in 8bits, which is why it shouldn't matter. I'll try to find the link.

PS not being knowledgeable in the deep technical nature of video formats doesn't mean I don't know a lot about how Plex works.

If you're transcoding to 8bit it doesnt matter indeed, but for those who have 10bit support it matter allot!

2»