Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Bug: latest Plex Player not play videos when Internet connection is not available

rbody99@hotmail.comrbody99@hotmail.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 19 Plex Pass
edited December 2016 in Plex Media Player

This is a bug in OS X 10.11.3, Mac Mini, Plex server 2.10.8 in:
Plex Media Player from Nov 30, 2016 - Plex Media Player 1.2.0

There is no reason why lack of internet should break the performance of a Media Player.

The new Plex Player from 11/30/2016 will not play videos and show "Video not available" message when internet connection is not available. It works fine when the internet connection is available. This happens with both Movies and with TV shows. Does not work without internet, works fine when internet connection (wireless) is re-established.

That was introduced as an issue in the last few versions of Plex Media Player (Mac). No issues ever in the Plex Server when internet is disconnected, but the issue is present in the Media Player. About a month ago only some videos would mysteriously not play, but as of the last Plex Player, no videos play.

That is such a handicap and not a user helping feature. I build my library when internet is available, but when I use the player, there is no internet in my portable setup.

Answers

• rbody99@hotmail.comrbody99@hotmail.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 19 Plex Pass
    edited December 2016

duplicate_duplicate

• tobiashietatobiashieta Plex Dev Team Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 5,524 Plex Employee

That's not intentional - publish a log file.

Follow me on twitter @tobiashieta or G+

edited December 2016

Log file from the Player or the Server?
    This is easily reproducible, remove internet from server, the player will show a message saying it can't play the file, every single time.
    Connect internet, all is good.
    The player is on the same computer as the server. This happens with Mac Player 1.2.0 and 1.2.2 from Dec 21, 2016.
    Playing the same file in the Plex server application with or without internet is fine.

• DJ-BrianCDJ-BrianC Members, Plex Pass Posts: 363 Plex Pass

I read somewhere it's related to secure vs unsecured connections.

Brian Caouette / www.djbrianc.us
    Running Readynas 316 w/ 6 4tb WD Reds
    Pi2, Roku, Fire Stick, iPad 2, Android phone & tablet, Kindle
    Silcondust Connect & Silcondust Extend w/ OTA roof.

I tried secured/unsecured setting and it still doesn't work without internet in Plex Player. It's fine in Plex Server, when played there. But the Player is where I want to be playing it.

No resolution yet...