Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PLEX - My experience!

Where do I start?

Own a 2016 model Samsung 55KS7502 and PLEX running on my desktop (i7 CPU, great specs). Network bandwidth more than enough, just to get that out of the way.

Problems:
1. - Constant buffering in movies.
2. - When not buffering, audio just disappears, have to stop/start or exit the PLEX app and re-launch it. Works for some time, then goes away again.
3. - Lots, and I mean LOTS of freezes in the Samsung PLEX app. Oftentimes, when trying to go back from a movie it freezes. Other times it freezes in the app in different menus, with no specific logic to it, it just does. Have to exit the app (sometimes even that's not possible!!) and re-launch.

Horrible experience using this app, don't understand what's why hype for it if it's this crappy.

Answers

• Gdr56Gdr56 Posts: 1,590Members ✭✭✭✭

So are you wireless or wired to the TV from Router?

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. Satellite TV: Foxtel Australia Q2. Blu- ray Player: Playstation PS3.Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, Onkymote, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

• jjrjr1jjrjr1 Posts: 1,714Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Try lowering the bitrate in the Plex Client Settings

• LMerfuLMerfu Posts: 10Members ✭✭

TV is wirelessly connected to an AC router (250Mbps tested wireless bandwidth from the TV's location, on my phone). Regardless if it's a 5Mbps or a 34Mbps 4k video the behavior is the same.

Started the TV just now, entered the PLEX app - BOOM, completely frozen, didn't even get to hit play! Turn off TV completely, turn plex back on, hit RUN ... now the video is buffering every 3 seconds. WTF?!

What a horrible, horrible app! Can someone recommend an alternative? I can't believe people are struggling with this thing.

• MikeG6.5MikeG6.5 Posts: 2,424Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

A few thoughts on this:

1) Is your PMS machine (the i7) wired to your switch/router? Or is it wireless? If wireless, try it wired to ensure you don't have issues with interference from other nearby radios, garage door openers, microwave ovens or towers, your neighbor's WiFi, bluetooth, cordless phones, etc. You may need to run a temporary cable for this test.

2) Is the TV wired or WiFi? (Do the same for this, for the same reasons.)

Most routers have an option for something like a Site Survey. This tells the router to check if there are any interfering WiFi hotspots nearby that use the same channel. This testing only shows other WiFi hotspots, though, and not other interference issues. Try changing the radios channel to something with less interference. This doesn't resolve the fact that you may have everything WiFi, though. PMS machines should ALWAYS be wired to the router/switch for best playback. As well as any high bitrate capable client devices. Any kind of interference is going to dramatically affect streaming unless it's wired.

3) You don't tell us what file format or codecs the problem files are encoded with, so try to find a file on your system with MP4, H264 with AAC stereo audio and test it playing. You also don't state whether it's a 1080p, 720p or 4K, etc. Keep in mind that transcoding 4K because of a wrong codec or container is likely to take considerably more power from the CPU, and if the i7 doesn't have it, you buffer.

4) Are you Direct Playing or Transcoding the stream? When you start playing, open the Web App, and you should see an orange (some say yellow) icon in the top right of the Web App. This shows that you have something playing, and when you click on it, you can see what and who, etc. There's a small circle with an ! in it that tells you a bit more.

If it's transcoding, it will say if it's audio, video or both. It will say Direct Play if it's Direct Playing. This means it's copying the file straight to your TV without any modifications. Ideally you want most or all of your media doing this for the least problematic streaming. This will take a bit of effort to get your media into this type of condition, but until it is, you can likely expect issues....

5) Do you have any log files from the server that cover a time frame for this buffering you have going on? Seeing those logs can help to resolve your problem. The other 4 points above are just ideas to look at, without seeing those logs. Seeing them tells us a LOT.

There are a lot of things we need to find out in order to help you resolve this. And YOU need to be the source of that information. The rest of us can only make guesses based on what little information you've provided. For more information on what info to provide: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/195773/troubles-read-here-to-learn-how-to-provide-great-logs#latest and https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250417-Plex-Media-Server-Log-Files

1. PC is wired directly into 1Gbps port of router
    2. TV is over WiFi, 5Ghz. No interference, only 1 other WiFi in 5Ghz around.
    3. I've tried anything from 720p to 4k videos. Had issues with all.
      4.In the info it says:
      Transcoding (throttled)
      Video Direct Stream
      Audio Trancode (aac)

I've tried with Direct Play and/or Direct Stream activated but noticed zero difference.
    Problem is not just buffering, but Samsung app keeps freezing all over the place, for no apparent reason.

Attached logs.

Any other similar media server suggestions would be much appreciated, PLEX is just not working for me.

Just tried running the TV on a wired connection, absolutely no improvement, as expected.

I give up.

Just installed Universal Media Server and, to my surprise, it can run full 4K 3840x2160 / 63Mbps videos with ZERO issues over WiFi on the TV, whereas PLEX couldn't even play this video on the web browser of the actual plex server!

It's not as pretty as PLEX, that's for sure, but heck ... it works! No logs to collect/check, no put the wire/remove the wire on the TV to check, no freezes, just install & hit PLAY!

Sorry guys, but plex is just a nice looking piece of crap software which doesn't do the most basic thing it should: stream a damn video!

Until they'll release a version that actually works, it's over and out for me.

@LMerfu said:
    Just installed Universal Media Server and, to my surprise, it can run full 4K 3840x2160 / 63Mbps videos with ZERO issues over WiFi on the TV, whereas PLEX couldn't even play this video on the web browser of the actual plex server!

It's not as pretty as PLEX, that's for sure, but heck ... it works! No logs to collect/check, no put the wire/remove the wire on the TV to check, no freezes, just install & hit PLAY!

Sorry guys, but plex is just a nice looking piece of crap software which doesn't do the most basic thing it should: stream a damn video!

Until they'll release a version that actually works, it's over and out for me.

I have checked your TV specs and DLNA is available so the Plex server should show there beside UMS.

After reading some forum threads there seems to be some issues with New Samsung TV's and the Plex app.

I personally have no current issues except using a VPN and remote access at the same time. I will say it has not always been smooth sailing. But for 12 months now it's been fantastic and worth the effort to have all the Eye Candy on a UHD Television. The Scalers in these modern TV's are just incredible and enhance a media collection, well beyond what I expected.

My advise is to search Plex forums for Samsung issues, I have noticed the Samsung App Representative is very active and will assist.

I would also suggest, Disable "Secure network" in PMS

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. Satellite TV: Foxtel Australia Q2. Blu- ray Player: Playstation PS3.Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, Onkymote, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

Maybe this can help. Subtitles can cause issues so manually selecting Titles can help.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201566396-How-are-Direct-Play-Direct-Stream-and-Transcoding-different-

Returning to this thread after some time, seems like PLEX did a good job during it's last PMS updates, which completely eliminated the horrible buffering problem which caused me to stop using PLEX for a while.

All working great now, apart for one small issue I've noticed: whenever I watch an episode, if I pause during the middle of the episode and close PMS/TV, when I resume watching the next day, the subtitles are no longer synced with the movie. Seems to help a bit if I disable subtitles in SamsungTV Plex app and then re-enable them, but there's still a few seconds gap between the image and the subtitles. If I start watching from the beginning the subs are back in sync.

It's sometimes annoying, but not as annoying as the original issue reported in this thread.

Again, good job to PLEX for fixing it. I would really appreciate looking into the above-mentioned subtitle issue also.

Cheers!

@LMerfu said:
    Returning to this thread after some time, seems like PLEX did a good job during it's last PMS updates, which completely eliminated the horrible buffering problem which caused me to stop using PLEX for a while.

All working great now, apart for one small issue I've noticed: whenever I watch an episode, if I pause during the middle of the episode and close PMS/TV, when I resume watching the next day, the subtitles are no longer synced with the movie. Seems to help a bit if I disable subtitles in SamsungTV Plex app and then re-enable them, but there's still a few seconds gap between the image and the subtitles. If I start watching from the beginning the subs are back in sync.

It's sometimes annoying, but not as annoying as the original issue reported in this thread.

Again, good job to PLEX for fixing it. I would really appreciate looking into the above-mentioned subtitle issue also.

Cheers!

I believe the out of sync subs has been covered in the forums in other discussions. Might be worth a search to see if there is a solution or reasonable workaround.

Yeah, found it, but no available solution it seems.

Seems like the buffering problem has returned. Don't know what these guys are doing - either to the Plex server or (more likely) to the Samsung Plex app. It was fine and dandy, but now the issue is back and it's buffering sometimes every few seconds, making it completely unusable.

The subtitle issue also persists - if I resume a movie, the subtitle will not be sync'ed anymore.