If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex stopped playing .ts files

Peter0510Peter0510 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Once upon a time I could play .ts files stored on my Plex server this seems to have stopped working. I can see the TV episodes in the library but now when I try to play them I get the rotating circle. I have Plex Version 1.3.1.3102 installed on a FreeNAS server. All the files are 1080p and the file names are either "name_SXXEXX - YYYY-MM-DD.ts" or "name_YYYY-MM-DD_HH-MM.ts". Other formats eg .mkv at 1080p play successfully. I have looked at the file permissions and this should not be an issue. I have tried various clients including web, ipad and shield all with the same result.

Any help appreciated.

Best Answers

Answers

• tazmo450tazmo450 Posts: 5Members ✭✭

So I was just answering my own question in another part of this forum about Posters that wouldn't update (even though the metadata seemed correct).

So I upgraded from v1.2.7 to the version you have, 1.3.1.3102. The posters are now fixed for me, but I can confirm all of my *.ts files do NOT show up now. The *.ts files showed up fine in v1.2.7.

Oh well, one thing fixed, another one broken...

• Peter0510Peter0510 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

My .ts files show up, you can select them, they just wont play. Incidentally the files run perfectly in Windows Media Player.

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 9,913Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

server logs and/or one of the player app logs should say why playback failed.

Logs > https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201869908-Log-Files
    edited December 2016

OK I have found errors in the server log:
    Dec 09, 2016 18:19:04.787 [0x80aa41400] ERROR - [Transcoder] [h264 @ 0x802514600] SPS unavailable in decode_picture_timing
    Dec 09, 2016 18:19:04.788 [0x80a899800] ERROR - [Transcoder] [h264 @ 0x802514600] non-existing PPS 0 referenced
    Dec 09, 2016 18:19:04.790 [0x80aa41400] ERROR - [Transcoder] [h264 @ 0x802514600] SPS unavailable in decode_picture_timing
    Dec 09, 2016 18:19:04.791 [0x80a899800] ERROR - [Transcoder] [h264 @ 0x802514600] non-existing PPS 0 referenced
    Dec 09, 2016 18:19:04.792 [0x80aa41400] ERROR - [Transcoder] [h264 @ 0x802514600] decode_slice_header error
    Dec 09, 2016 18:19:04.793 [0x80a899800] ERROR - [Transcoder] [h264 @ 0x802514600] no frame!

But they dont mean anything to me!
    Any help appreciated
    BTW I have upgraded to Version 1.3.2.3112 but this has not helped.

I have converted one of the files to .mp4 using HandBrake and this works perfectly. So it is looking like a Plex issue.

Zip of server logs attached below.

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 9,913Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

That is a transcoding error when it is trying to convert for the device you are playing back on. I can play .ts files fine here with 1.3.2.3112 ( but on a mac so issue might be freeNAS specific )

would you mind trying to play it with Plex Media Player which can play many more things natively than the apps you mentioned. maybe it will not need transcoding and work

anyway to get a sample file that does the same i can ask the devs to test with?

Logs > https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201869908-Log-Files
  • rcombsrcombs Transcoder Engineer Posts: 361Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Please post a sample file that reproduces the issue.

Test file that plays OK in windows but not through Plex.

edited December 2016

I am now getting an error message on screen when I play from a browser "Conversion Failed. The transcoder crashed or failed to start up. Its exit code was 1" (Some of the time.)

Any thoughts?

OK more bizarre I have installed the Plex Media Player windows client and they will play through that! They still wont play through the web interface on the same PC.

edited December 2016

Thanks for the update and thanks for all the good work on Plex. Any idea whan the Plex Media Server update will be available?

Thanks for all the help.

• dynacondynacon Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Any update, previous versions of Plex Server would play the .ts files. I have downgraded since I have hundreds of .ts files. I want to upgrade to the latest version but will have to wait on this fix to upgrade. I have started to use Handbrake to convert them to mkv's, but this will take several weeks of constant conversion. This will also require an added step for all new reordings. Please fix this and release a patch so I can stop my ts to mkv conversion effort.

I started to covert my .ts files to mkv's with Handbrake, this was taking way too long, so I came up with the following fix that works very well. I loaded a previous version of Plex Server for Windows 0.9.14.6, created a new library that contained only my .ts files and then optimized the database. Plex's optimized output is a MP4 file for each movie which will then play on my Qnap server updated to the latest version of Plex Server. I just wish Plex would fix the bug they introduced with their newer releases that will not allow playing the .ts files directly with their newer updates to Plex Server. By the way, the .ts files that will not play are due to the 5.1 audio track created by my Hauppauge Colossus video capture card.

• GriekGriek Posts: 98Members ✭✭

@dynacon: I have exactly the same problem. Just updated the Plex server to the latest version and now it won't play any files with .ts (IPTV streams) on my Roku TV, with Plex installed. Used to play perfectly fine. Still works fine on Plex Player on my Mac. I'd like to see if I can downgrade my Plex server version

My work around is still working, though wish the added step was not required.