If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Video files won't play past certain point on Apple TV.

jdoggggjdogggg Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi All,

Having an issue where certain videos will not play past a certain point on the Apple TV but will play fine on all other devices (Web, iPhone).

I've also noticed the time code is not accurate for these files when scrubbing, so that if I go 3/4 of the way into a 1hr file it will show me video from only a few minutes in.

I've not noticed any connection between these files.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Jack.

Answers

• GennySGennyS Posts: 7Members ✭✭

I've been having the same issues. Plays until about the last 10 minutes then kicks me out. Also time code doesn't match either.

• onotadakionotadaki Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am also experiencing this issue. It plays fine locally, plays on Android and through web client. On Apple TV 4 the file just stops playing at very specific times.

• oldmansampsonoldmansampson Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi, I wanted to throw my hat in the ring. I'm having the same issue on my Apple TV. I suspected it might be a corrupted file, but I can play the movies fine from the web interface or by opening the local file.

I've tried creating a new server and reloading my media to it as well as reinstall the app on the Apple TV, but everytime I get to a certain point it will start rapidly buffering and playing the next frame about 5 times until it exits as if I finished watching the movie. Shows playback fine, just movies and it's multiple different movies. Seems to have something to do with the length.

• mbgomsmbgoms Posts: 2Members

I'm having the same issue. With my library, says a 30 minute show is an hour and a half, then resets after shutting off and restarting the video file at about the last 3 minutes. All channel apps won't let me play the last 10 minutes of any video file either on Apple TV. Started a couple of updates ago. Time codes are always off and then I can never finish the ending of an episode or movie.

• NMLeopoldNMLeopold Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've recently begun experiencing very similar issues to the ones described in this thread. I have been using Plex on Apple TV often and for a long time, but I haven't had these issues until recently.

• ecantrellecantrell Posts: 74Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Me too.. When it's 5 mins left... it acts up... I tries to replay at 5 mins left... but I end up watching remainders on iPad... before the latest update on AppleTV 4, it was screensaver issue... I hope Plex will sort it out...

• BadgerdogBadgerdog Posts: 206Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Any chance you've turned ON the new Auto Quality feature?

I had spinning wheels and unnecessary buffering until I turned it OFF.... things returned to normal ...

Regards,
    Doug

Lifetime Plex Member
    Running Plex Pass Server Version 1.9.4.4325
    Running Plex Client 1.17.1 on IOS 11 for Apple TV and Apple TV 4k

• iknoiilikeme2iknoiilikeme2 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Also experiencing the same thing, this only started happening recently on my ATV. It's frustrating having to pull up the last 4 minutes of a show on another device completely.

• Logan09Logan09 Posts: 27Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've been having similar issues, stops at the same point each time on certain episodes. Starting playback from partway through a show/movie now seems to take a lot longer too. Not sure whether this happened with the latest PMS update or Apple TV Plex update.