If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

External player

oloolo Posts: 23Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited December 2016 in OpenPHT

This has been a reoccuring question for I don't know how long... I love Plex as a library and browsing my files.. and on the go with my ipad/laptop watching my movies... however... at home with the desktop connected to my big screen LED I prefer watching my movies with MPC-HC, madvr and avisynth which gives superb picture!

I never got external player to work with PHT so I always stuck with the good old PMC which worked flawlessly with the setup. However I bought a new computer and PMC is not available anymore. The new media player app for windows doesn't allow for external player so my last bet is the OpenPHT.

I've tweaked the playercorefactory.xml and advancedsettings.xml in ...\AppData\Roaming\OpenPHT\userdata
When opening a file from the library the plex menu sound starts stuttering... then the file opens in MPC-hc like it should however it will keep playing stuttering menu sound from plex instead of the movie audio.

EDIT: I actually managed to fix this issue by editing the audio settings in openpht for some reason i had wasapi or whatever it's named instead of directsound and after changing that and enabling all the modes for hdmi the audio starts for the external player (seems like the openpht program "locked" the sound and prevented mpc-hc to start with it).

However still have two issues:

1) Theme music for tv-shows has to be turned off otherwise the program exits as soon as you browse a show (note not when I play it, but even the step before when you just enter to the show to pick which season/episode). Turning the theme music off solves this issue but it would be nice getting it to work?

2) After having watched a episode or movie, the "watched" status doesn't change. I realize I'm using an external player but with PMC this still worked. Is there anyway to set it so that it changes to watched as soon as a file is opened. I'd prefer that (even if I don't complete watching) compared to always having to manually change files to watched...

Any help to the two problems above would be very much appreciated :)

Answers

• dnldntdnldnt Posts: 1Members

Same here, would love to be able to use again the MPC-HC as external player; I don't think there will be any madvr implementation in the actual Plex Media Player which is (based) MPV [https://mpv.io/]

• enchainedenchained Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi. I also would like to use OpenPHT with an external player (Daum PotPlayer in my case). It's nice to find out that it at least partially worked not long ago, cause I wasn't sure how many things OpenPHT and Kodi have in common now. Will try to use the same playercorefactory.xml that worked for me with Kodi.

And about existing issues:

@olo said:
    2) After having watched a episode or movie, the "watched" status doesn't change. I realize I'm using an external player but with PMC this still worked. Is there anyway to set it so that it changes to watched as soon as a file is opened. I'd prefer that (even if I don't complete watching) compared to always having to manually change files to watched...

Do you have playcountminimumtime set in your playercorefactory.xml? Since it would be hard for OpenPHT/Kodi to find out played % of a file (some players don't even keep that data anywhere), there's a setting that instead counts seconds from the launch of an external player (if I understand correctly) and will mark anything watched after that amount of seconds passed. And you can't resume position from the plex, but the external player will resume on launch if it supports that.

Was PMC based on XBMC too? Maybe you had playcountminimumtime set up back then?

Here is the Kodi guide where I found out about that setting https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=209596 I really hope it will be compatible with the OpenPHT too. Will report back after I'll try.

• ricelidricelid Posts: 1Members

Hi,
    I'm unable to get an external player to launch from OpenPHT.
    I'm using the C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\OpenPHT\userdata\playercorefactory.xml as described in the page @enchained linked to.
    OpenPHT just plays things using the built-in player.
    I also tried editing the playercorefactory.xml I found in C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenPHT\system, but same behavior.
    I tried both versions 17.1 and 18.0 of OpenPHT.
    I can get an external player working in Kodi on the same machine.
    @olo what exact steps did you take to get it working?