If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Dolby Atmos and Plex Apps.

SteffandSteffand Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am trying to play my Dolby Atmos files from my Drobo 5N, but am unable to find a workaround.
I understand that my LG TV cannot pass the Dolby Atmos information currently through the ARC of the HDMI, so the built in TV Plex app isn't viable for this purpose.
I have my Playstation Pro passing through the AV to my Onkyo AV Switcher, and that passes the Dolby Atmos through fine on Blu Rays that have it encoded (by pressing option when playing and choosing bitstream) and the sound is incredible.
By this token I thought if I installed Plex on my Playstation Pro that it would be able to stream the Dolby Atmos from my NAS to my Onkyo, but it's only showing up as 7.1 or True HD audio and I'm not getting the 5.1.2 Atmos output to my AMP. The connections are all HDMI 2.0 and 4k and HDR pass through perfectly to my Onkyo and to my LG 4k TV.
I have the latest (manually installed) Plex software running on my NAS, and to be honest it works like a dream, so much better than the previous version that Drobo have to auto install, my 3D films and FLAC files play like a dream off it.
Is there another option to get the Dolby Atmos to my Amp from these files?
(I am a lifetime Plex Pass member so am hopefully using the best and latest version of whatever software.)

Best Answer

Answers

• KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 1,807Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The PS4/PS4 pro support many codecs for Blu-ray, but they don't allow 3rd party apps like Plex to access them...

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/204377253-What-media-formats-are-supported-

• jfsikorajfsikora Posts: 23Members ✭✭
    edited December 2016

@KarlDag said:
    The PS4/PS4 pro support many codecs for Blu-ray, but they don't allow 3rd party apps like Plex to access them...

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/204377253-What-media-formats-are-supported-

Which is a shame as Sony touts the Pro as being the ultimate 4K streaming device by omitting the 4K Blu Ray player. Hopefully they reconsider going forward.

• SteffandSteffand Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It's annoying having all the gear, but not being able to use it. I have just bought an Xbox one S because of the 4k blu ray player but that doesn't support Atmos or Dolby X yet (an update is coming this year however as they will tout their system as Atmos enabled for games too, which should be good when it lands.) But that still leaves me currently with Dolby Atmos files that I don't have any way of playing with Plex. Hopefully Plex will bring it in a future update as it's becoming a more popular format.

@Steffand said:
    It's annoying having all the gear, but not being able to use it. I have just bought an Xbox one S because of the 4k blu ray player but that doesn't support Atmos or Dolby X yet (an update is coming this year however as they will tout their system as Atmos enabled for games too, which should be good when it lands.) But that still leaves me currently with Dolby Atmos files that I don't have any way of playing with Plex. Hopefully Plex will bring it in a future update as it's becoming a more popular format.

Doesn't it get transcoded?

Also, players like ShieldTV support it... it's a question of getting the "right tool for the job".

• crm11fourcrm11four Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@KarlDag said:

The Dolby Atmos Experience demo in the VUDU app (PS4) plays Atmos with 1080p video. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe it has something to do with it being DD+ + Atmos…

@crm11four said:

@KarlDag said:

The Dolby Atmos Experience demo in the VUDU app (PS4) plays Atmos with 1080p video. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe it has something to do with it being DD+ + Atmos…

I'm just repeating what the devs here have said time and time again, I have no idea what the "truth" is or isn't .

I know Netflix gets special access to codecs and stuff on different hardware (like DD+ on PS4, not available to Plex), maybe it's the same for VUDU?

• SteffandSteffand Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The Nvidea shield was the way to go, it has worked a treat up until a week ago. I have 4k streamed HDR dolby atmos files up to 60GB that now stream across my network and play beautifully on my tv and through my Onkyo receiver. No issues for ages, but then recently I now get even simple audio juddering a few times an hour, and the same for movies and tv shows. I don't know if its a recent update or what bit it is annoying considering how much money I've spent to get all the gear right. I have a Drobo with an additional SSD card for cashing streaming my stuff and loads of space on it. My shield is hard wired into the gigabit network.