Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Migrate PMS from Windows to WD PR4100

kiwivdakiwivda Posts: 34Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited December 2016 in Western Digital

----------SOLVED-----------

SOLUTION AT THE END

Hi to all and help!
I'm trying to migrate my PSM from mi PC to the nas, but unsuccessfully.
Someone can help?
I installed on the nas the last PSM built, than moved my pc PlexMedia Server folder to the nas overwriting the one created by the installation, but nothing works.

What i'm supposed to do instead?
Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• kiwivdakiwivda Posts: 34Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

First good step:
    Install manually the last PSM built, downloading it from plex site.
    Stop the server.
    Copy the foldercontaining DB from PC (%LOCALAPPDATA%\Plex Media Server\Plug-in Support\Databases) to the NAS DB folder (/mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/plex_conf/Plex Media Server/Plug-in Support/Databases) but beware of setting permission to 777 before.

For now is all I did right.

Ok second good step done:
    Do all the above but in the same time before starting the server also copy form the windows installation these two folders:
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\Plex Media Server\Media
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\Plex Media Server\Metadata

and put them in /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/plex_conf/Plex Media Server on the nas. Be careful to remove the one created by the installation and not to overwrite them (else it does't work).

So for now steps are:

Install manually the last PSM built, downloading it from plex site.

Stop the server.

Copy the foldercontaining DB from PC (%LOCALAPPDATA%\Plex Media Server\Plug-in Support\Databases) to the NAS DB folder (/mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/plex_conf/Plex Media Server/Plug-in Support/Databases) but beware of setting permission to 777 before.

In the same time before starting the server also copy form the windows installation these two folders:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Plex Media Server\Media
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\Plex Media Server\Metadata

and place'em in /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/plex_conf/Plex Media Server on the nas.
    Be careful to remove the one created by the installation and not to overwrite them (else it does't work).

Still working...

First of all on the new installed PSM on NAS disable Empty trash automatically after every scan.

I have a problem, I cannot re adress the media library, when i add the new media folder to the one already present it doesnt scan the folder and i cannot remove the old one. It tells me that my modifications cannot be saved.
    Why why why somethin so easy like migrating a media library is so dammn dumb!

• Jim3535Jim3535 Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I did a similar process, but rather than moving the library, I copied the content and let plex re-index.

Then I used the trakt.tv plugin to sync my play status to the website, and then onto the NAS.

Yes that is an option for those who have small libraries and can let the PSM re-index but I have 800 movies, 1200 tv series episodes and around 18000 songs, all this is around 10 TB of data, re-indexing is not an option for me.

Anyway for people having relatively small libraries, they can have a try. Thanks for your reply!

• rguyor2rguyor2 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thank you for answering your own question and posting your solution to help everyone out :) Obvious question but I'm about to ask anyway. To copy the database/metadata do I just have to enable ssh and ssh in so I can command line it?

edited July 3

Yes you have to enable SSH in the PR4100, yhan I use Bitvise SSH Client to use terminal, and from root with the command:

TIME=date +%b-%d-%y | FILENAME=backup_plex_conf-$TIME.tar.gz |tar -cpzf /shares/Public/Plex-Backup/$FILENAME /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/plex_conf/

I write a zip file containing the plex conf folder named with date and time, in the Shares/Public Folder/ and then i move it away.

• Artemus PrimeArtemus Prime Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hey Guys,

Kind of a noob when it comes to command line. Just got my pr4100 nas and I want to transfer my plex library from the win 7 pc I was hosting it on to my pr4100 I've located and copied to my desktop the plex database, media and metadata folders. Ive enabled SSH on the pr4100 plex install. and have putty installed. I've gotten root access but before I go copying and pasting. I just wanted to know if the commands to accomplish this. Again command line novice. I can look up and ip address with the best of em and used the chkdsk and similar commands but the linux end is a total mystery. Any assistance with the commands and paths nessecary to do this would be great

Just follow post 33, and you'll be fine.