If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Video freezes but Audio still plays

katzkatz Posts: 126Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited December 2016 in Apple TV

Ive tried to search as much as I could to see if this is an existing issue, and it seems it has been littered around this issue.

But today was watching a movie, and at particular intervals (or high impact scenes) the video seemed to freeze, but the audio kept going.

I had to pause the movie, give it a couple of seconds then press play again. Sometimes I would rewind 10 seconds, and then it would freeze in the exact same spot. It felt as it the freeze would happen every 5-10 mins.

Has anyone else seen this?

Apple TV is connected via gigabit ethernet - PMS is running off Mac Mini also connected via Gigabit ethernet.

Best Answer

Answers

• ValdhorValdhor Posts: 501Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Is the video being transcoded? What is your server Specifications? Have you tried pre-trancoding the video (Using something like Handbrake)?

• katzkatz Posts: 126Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2016

Direct Playt

Mac Mini base model - late 2012

Specs attached also

edited December 2016

(have removed logs as I have a thread in the Plex Pass forum im hoping someone will assist)

Have also tried our second ATV (also ethernet connected), with a different movie and the same thing happen (albeit only once in the film)

edited December 2016

Bump devs / support anyone ?

Happening every time. Latest version of the app on ATV. And latest Plex Pass server version on Mac Mini server.

• mattm591mattm591 Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Happening to me with same setup.

• sven-7sven-7 Posts: 54Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm having this happen. I hit play, the audio starts, but the screen freezes at that point playing no video.

• aluiestaluiest Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same problem with 2 apple tv against a mac mini as plex server. With Full HD movies the video is jumping like it lose frames.

The same movie with plex for samsung TV or with plex media player shows fine!

• aluiestaluiest Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

With ATV Infuse playing the same movie works fine!

• sven-7sven-7 Posts: 54Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

For mine, I will go to the various episode or movie, click play and the audio begins while I am stuck on the selection screen. Usually, if I hit menu, the screen will go up one more menu, but the audio will continue playing. If I click play again, it sometimes restarts the audio and sometimes starts up the video and restarts from 0:00.

• Johnfrey7Johnfrey7 Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm also having this happen Audio will start while wheel spins in middle of screen it will kick back out once or twice then restart with no problems, definitely a bug as this just started last couple days. Also I'm having my screensaver kick on while video is playing and I can still here audio from movie in background. Please fix as this is very annoying.

• dweakl01dweakl01 Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here, spinny wheel - restart Plex, audio plays, video stops. :(

Having the audio play whilst something else happens is actually a feature. This was added as users wanted to be able to, for example, exit a music listing screen and have the audio keep playing whilst adding other music to a playlist.

Video freezing is another issue entirely and is almost certainly a corrupt file that the Apple player chokes on (Other players obviously can get past the corruption). I would try pre-transcoding the file with something like Handbrake and try again.

• dweakl01dweakl01 Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Valdhor said:
    I would try pre-transcoding the file with something like Handbrake and try again.

Its not the video, it even happens with movies that have played fine in the past. The video stops and the audio continues. Sometimes, the video will speed up and catch up with the audio, but most of the time, it just freezes and the screen saver eventually kicks in while the movie's audio is still playing. Interestingly enough, I have not had it happen with a TV show.

This is definitely an experience breaker, the folks at Plex should put this way up on their To-do list.

• DudaaiDudaai Posts: 66Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I can add this to the NEVER ENDING catalogue of problems I've had with Plex. Since the last PMS update I get this happening a LOT. Plays for 10 minutes, video freezes but audio continues to play. Couple of times I've also had the blank screen and 'nothing to see here' (or whatever the BS message is) and the 'Your connection is not fast enough' DESPITE PMS sitting on a Mac Mini and connected to the router by ethernet, as is the ATV. It's just ludicrous really.

I only kept it around for the the UI which I find better than iTunes and remote access (which was also a pain to maintain - pretty much any time I went away there would always be some issue with it despite doing a gazillion tests and restarts and re-checks before going away) but now my ISP has moved to CGNAT I'm not prepared to pay extra to get a private ipv4 address JUST to get Plex remote access to (not) work.

Given its instability for me I'm gonna bin it altogether and have a look at Infuse or even revert to iTunes which, while being clunky, WORKS without fail EVERY time. Plex is just WAAAAY too high maintenance, the patchy support for it is also problematic, and one of the reasons I pulled the plug on the Plex Pass.

@Dudaai said:
    ...I'm gonna bin it altogether and have a look at Infuse or even revert to iTunes...

Fair enough. That is, and always has been, your prerogative. Happy trails.

• BastardSheepBastardSheep Posts: 287Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I believe this is another symptom of the lack of buffering Plex for ATV does, as discussed in this thread - https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/202948/bug-plex-app-does-not-buffer-does-not-load-more-than-a-few-megabytes-of-the-video-at-a-time#latest

I say this because it's also times like this that I'm likely to get the issue discussed in the buffering threads. Fast-action scenes will have more data due to there being so many more changes happening on screen at a time.

I wish I had a solution for you.

You might well be right. Just too much hassle. Seems to me Plex just has way too many plates spinning and is constantly bringing out new gizmos and gimmicks instead of thoroughly fixing stuff that's broken.

I'll keep PMS on the Mac for now but the apps are going. I'll stick to Infuse and iTunes. Subsrcibe to Plex Pass, are you serious? No way!! Not while it's in this state!

3 months old this thread. Any comment from the developers - nope. Marvellous :(

• lukejrlukejr Posts: 101Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've this problem, not consistent but occurs mostly with transcoded media.

Apple TV is connected via ethernet

Mac mini 2012 (6,1), Intel Core i5 @ 2.5GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000 - Mac OS Server 12.12 (Sierra). Apple TV connected via HDMI cable to LG 32LG3000 TV that is connected via optical audio to LG HT805PH 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound System. Media stored on a 16TB WD MyBook Duo (USB3) and a 3TB Seagate (USB2). HDHomeRun CONNECT for DVR