If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

RarFLIX (NowTV/Roku) stopped transcoding after upgrade

dazbocooperdazbocooper Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Hi,

For some time now I have had problems playing media from PMS to RARflix/Plex on NowTV boxes. Having finally had some time to troubleshoot, it appears to only be when Transcoding is required.

The logs show this message every time I try to play something.

WARN - Denying access due to session lacking decision for transcode of key /library/metadata/1

I tried on 3 different computers with the same error

1) Mac Mini with Mavericks
2) MacBook Air with Sierra
3) Windows 10

I was on the latest version, then downgraded to 1.2.7 and still had the problem. I downgraded again to 0.9.16 and all works perfectly again. I don't have a download of a version in between as I have been doing self updates.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• ljunkieljunkie Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,836Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

RARflix is not supported, and it probably won't work very well with any version using the streaming brain. You can use Plex Classic which may work better with playback. Both have been deprecated and will no longer receive updates. I'd suggest to continue using the older PMS version if you plan to continue using either version.

• dazbocooperdazbocooper Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Thank you for the information. Since I am using the NowTV box as the client RARflix is what I have. I have not tried Plex Classic as at the time I setup I couldn't get it to work, but that was a while ago now. Any idea what is the latest PMS I could go to to keep this working? I

have Samsung TV's elsewhere so I have tried to keep up to date to get the functionality out of those,

• Mark SMark S Posts: 388Members ✭✭✭

Bin the rarflix and put Plex classic on instead.

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,365Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Mark S said:

That would be foolish. Plex Classic is not even half the player that RARflix is and it was poorly implemented in many ways.

Also it must be something else in the setup as RARflix continues to work well and everything that needs transcoding gets transcoded fine on all my Rokus using RARflix. Except for a few features that the newest player has RARflix is fully functional and in many ways superior to any other client.

Plex has lost me! I am moving all my local media consumption to Emby. There are things about Plex that are better than Emby but Plex has begun misleading their customers and even telling their users bald faced lies and that is unacceptable so I no longer use Plex for any media consumption.
    I will NOT be lied to by a company I have any choice about using.
    It has been a good ride but I now feel that I am the one being ridden.
    Emby is NOT better software but they are a better company at this point.

• Mark SMark S Posts: 388Members ✭✭✭

I find Plex classic much quicker to use than RARflix,

• tsmbtsmb Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have had the same problem when accessing a local server.
    If I delete the server and then login into my account connecting via PIN, the issue seems to go away...
    (using plexclassic and server 1.3.2.3112)

• dazbocooperdazbocooper Posts: 3Members ✭✭

@Elijah_Baley said:

@Mark S said:

That would be foolish. Plex Classic is not even half the player that RARflix is and it was poorly implemented in many ways.

Also it must be something else in the setup as RARflix continues to work well and everything that needs transcoding gets transcoded fine on all my Rokus using RARflix. Except for a few features that the newest player has RARflix is fully functional and in many ways superior to any other client.

Are you using genuine Roku's though as I am using the Sky NoWTV version?

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,365Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2016

@dazbocooper said:

@Elijah_Baley said:

@Mark S said:

Are you using genuine Roku's though as I am using the Sky NoWTV version?

I am using "real" Rokus but that should make no difference as to transcoding as all transcoding takes place on the server so if transcoding is failing that is where it is failing not on the Roku.

It sounds like something is wrong in the communication between the Roku and the server but what that is will take someone more versed in the server side of Plex than I.

The core, that is the player part, is identical between Plex Classic and RARflix so I doubt it would help but you can try switching. It cannot get worse. If it is not working now the worse thing that could happen is that it does not work so it makes sense to give it a try.

There has actually been a couple of minor updates to Plex Classic since the RARflix developer was hired by Plex and RARflix stopped being updated and there is a slight possibility that where the changes happened is where the problem lies.

If it is already broken you cannot break it.

Plex has lost me! I am moving all my local media consumption to Emby. There are things about Plex that are better than Emby but Plex has begun misleading their customers and even telling their users bald faced lies and that is unacceptable so I no longer use Plex for any media consumption.
    I will NOT be lied to by a company I have any choice about using.
    It has been a good ride but I now feel that I am the one being ridden.
    Emby is NOT better software but they are a better company at this point.

• gordon999gordon999 Posts: 32Members ✭✭

I have the same issue on NowTV. I have a genuine Roku that works fine but any media I try to play from my NowTV box that requires transcoding does not play. I have tried moving from Rarflix to Plex Classic but that has had no affect.

• TheCoon110TheCoon110 Posts: 1Members

I ran into the exact same error message after the latest update. I'm running the current version of plex as of 12-21-16, and two rokus running the latest firmware with rarflix. I managed to get everything working, i'm hoping this might work for someone else too. In Rarflix on the roku, go to "Preferences", "Direct Play", and change the setting from "Automatic" to "Direct Play with Fallback". Tested with media backups and internet sourced content. All seem to be working.

TheCoon

Unfortunately that will only work with video formats that the Now TV can play. I have videos that need to be transcoded as the format is not supported on the now TV box. It seems there are lots of posts on the forum where people are saying transcoding has stopped working on the latest release so i think this is more a PMS / transcoding issue than a client issue.

edited February 7

I have finally found an answer. In the Plex client go to preferences, then advanced preferences, and set the transcoder to universal. This does not seem to work with rarflix so you will need the Plex classic client

• jmccoy85jmccoy85 Posts: 6Members ✭✭

@dazbocooper said:
    Hi,

For some time now I have had problems playing media from PMS to RARflix/Plex on NowTV boxes. Having finally had some time to troubleshoot, it appears to only be when Transcoding is required.

The logs show this message every time I try to play something.

WARN - Denying access due to session lacking decision for transcode of key /library/metadata/1

I tried on 3 different computers with the same error

1) Mac Mini with Mavericks
    2) MacBook Air with Sierra
    3) Windows 10

I was on the latest version, then downgraded to 1.2.7 and still had the problem. I downgraded again to 0.9.16 and all works perfectly again. I don't have a download of a version in between as I have been doing self updates.

Any help greatly appreciated.

dazbocooper, do you have the setup file for PMS 0.9.16? I haven't been saving the install packages it downloads and I've been running RARFlix for ages. Just broke when I upgraded PMS from 1.4.4 to 1.5.5 and I'm not committed to switching clients on my Roku yet.