If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Mi Box with SPDIF output to a receiver. Anyone else have this setup?

Joe4992Joe4992 Posts: 151Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Looking for other people who have a Mi Box and have a mini toslink cable from the Mi Box hooked up to a 5.1 surround receiver. And then have a HDMI cable from your Mi Box going directly to your TV.

Wondering if you're getting 5.1 surround in any movie (AC3, AAC, DTS). To find out see if your receiver switches to digital mode when the movie plays or bring up the overlay information (turn it on in the options) and play the movie. Hit pause and the overlay will show up on top left showing you how audio is encoded.

Best Answers

Answers

• Joe4992Joe4992 Posts: 151Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Also make sure in the Mi Box settings in audio set your digital output to SPDIF. In Plex make sure passthrough is turned on.

Trying to troubleshoot an issue with a plex employee and this would help fix it. Mi Box not allowing digital audio in Plex when using a toslink (SPDIF) cable.

• user654784user654784 Posts: 34Members ✭✭

mibox is supporting passthrough spdif, the problem is with plex. they need to fix it

@user654784 said:
    mibox is supporting passthrough spdif, the problem is with plex. they need to fix it

The issue is Plex finds out what your system can do via the HDMI cable only.

So if you have the SPDIF cable connected to your receiver and HDMI going to your TV, and your TV is telling Plex "Hey I can only do 2 ch stereo" then all your content is going to be transcoded into stereo.

I'm working with the Plex Team to fix this issue.

• danjames92danjames92 Posts: 3,241Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Joe4992 said:

@user654784 said:

The issue is Plex finds out what your system can do via the HDMI cable only.

So if you have the SPDIF cable connected to your receiver and HDMI going to your TV, and your TV is telling Plex "Hey I can only do 2 ch stereo" then all your content is going to be transcoded into stereo.

I'm working with the Plex Team to fix this issue.

Working where? Link to thread?

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

@danjames92 said:

Working where? Link to thread?

Private message thread. I contacted Elan about it directly.. he brought IanDBird in on the PM and going back and forth. IanDBird figured out what the problem was with my results and my setup. He's working with an engineer to get this resolved for the next update.

Believe it or not they have a Mi Box there to use and test with.

Was just wondering if more people have this issue.

• HipHopAnon¥mousHipHopAnon¥mous Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Joe, I'm not using that exact setup, but I really appreciate you taking the initiative to get this resolved.

• AdzamAdzam Posts: 32Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 8

I have this same exact setup. Been looking for months for a solution, and my box behaves exactly as you describe.

In fact, I knew I was on-to something, as I have an audio extractor, and as long as I have the extractor connected, the digital audio works via the toslink cable. So your info above is correct about the audio properties being selected based on the HDMI audio properties.

Please let me know if you would like some help troubleshooting. I love the Mi Box, but this audio issue is driving me insane.

I have SPMC installed, with the Plex plugin, and Audio works perfect via the toslink cable, so it's got to be something with the Plex android client.

@Adzam said:
    In fact, I knew I was on-to something, as I have an audio extractor, and as long as I have the extractor connected, the digital audio works via the toslink cable. So your info above is correct about the audio properties being selected based on the HDMI audio properties.

Why would you use an audio extractor when the Mi Box has a digital audio out port already?

edited January 8

@Joe4992 said:

@Adzam said:

Why would you use an audio extractor when the Mi Box has a digital audio out port already?

I will try and make this as short as possible :) I was trying to use the extractor as a workaround for the SPDIF optical out on the Mi Box not working...

I have an older receiver that doesn't have HDMI inputs. I was previously using the audio extractor with a Roku3 to get digital audio out (which worked fine). I purchased the MiBox thinking that the optical SPDIF would work with Plex (but as we all know it does not) so I figured my fix would be to put the audio extractor back in place to get the digital audio.

When I put the audio extractor back, this is when I happened to see that my audio-out options changed in the Android TV settings. Previously (with the extractor dis-connected) it would only do "SPDIF PCM" when audio settings were left in "auto". With the extractor connected, the settings change to "SPDIF Optical" or something like that.

I have since moved to SPMC with the plex plugin, and it works great and passes both AC3 and DTS to the optical out without any issues. I had to abandon the extractor, because it would occasionally cause issues with the Video connected to the MiBox during movies.

• user654784user654784 Posts: 34Members ✭✭
    edited January 13

hello, i use spdif on the mibox but i have only stereo pcm sound, passthough is still not fixed, how long it will take...? on my pc and using spdif i have 5.1 sound no problem (with the same receiver) and if the sound format is not supported by my receiver my player can even transcode it to ac3, why plex can't do nothing of that ? no mention to the other bugs

• nogsx3nogsx3 Posts: 35Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plex on MiBox not passing DTS regardless of settings to amp as says "not supported" in Plex.

Kodi is passing DTS ok so I've installed the Plex for Kodi addon so have DTS etc now...shame the Plex app can't support it when the hardware can.

• danjames92danjames92 Posts: 3,241Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@nogsx3 said:
    Plex on MiBox not passing DTS regardless of settings to amp as says "not supported" in Plex.

Kodi is passing DTS ok so I've installed the Plex for Kodi addon so have DTS etc now...shame the Plex app can't support it when the hardware can.

Plex had no way of telling what is on the other end of your toslink cable. Kodi's uses a custom video player on can force it.

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

@danjames92 said:

Plex had no way of telling what is on the other end of your toslink cable. Kodi's uses a custom video player on can force it.

Kodi and VLC use built in codecs that provide the needed processing for digital audio. Plex does not. Plex relies on what the other side of the HDMI cable says to Plex in order to tell the server if it needs to transcode or not. So if you have your HDMI cable plugged into a TV that only has 2 channel stereo, that's what Plex thinks you can only do and the app will tell the server to transcode to 2 channel stereo even if your SPDIF cable is plugged into a top of the line receiver that can do every format under the sun.

The only way to get around this is if you don't use SPDIF and you have a receiver that has HDMI inputs. So your receiver is telling Plex what it can do instead of your TV.

I don't have that. My receiver is like 7 years old. It has HDMI bypass ports and that's it. So I'm stuck with the SPDIF cable.

I haven't heard any status updates on this issue in a couple weeks. Next week I'll PM the devs to see if they have made any progress.

edited January 21

Almost there

Do you know what version number we should be looking for? Android TV beta was updated on Jan 27th, and I still don't see any of the changes you noted above.

Like I said in another thread has to be approved by the team before it goes out to beta.

Hopefully soon. I don't know their process of approving changes in the code.

• gore-gore- Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi all,
    So the solution is to connect spdif out and it works ?
    With the beta or not ?

Thanks