Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

MCEBuddy and NFO Files

JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leelynds ?

Perhaps you can instruct me in the fine art of creating an NFO file - and that may help mitigate this stubborn issue I'm having with MCEBuddy wherein he flat out refuses to do anything, but read that bogus metadata from within WTV files.

It's a bad day over here when I record something that's metadata won't match an online database and many of my problem shows are listed under other names. As it turns out it is my problem when Network Employees just name stuff what they want without first checking TVDB or TMDB to see what the name really is.

Anyway, there is some light at the end of this passage. I got one 'unmatchable' to get thrown into the Movie Library (my goal actually), but it seemed to have an extra (Year) field.

Show Name:
Joy to the World with Bob Thompson (2015)
File Name:
Joy to the World with Bob Thompson (2015).wtv
NFO File Name:
Joy to the World with Bob Thompson (2015).nfo
NFO Contents:

(that was challenging - forum didn't like that!) :)

This just in:
I changed the name of the file and the nfo file:
Joy to the World with Bob Thompson.wtv
Joy to the World with Bob Thompson.nfo
(same contents)
I get:
Joy to the World with Bob Thompson (2015)().mp4

I'm would try removing the () around the year in the hopes that Bud will do something different, but it could be a corrupt nfo content thing.

Comments

• leelyndsleelynds Posts: 908 Plex Pass
    edited December 2016

I've attached a zip file with what I think is a starting point. Real basic, and provided with absolutely no guarantees it will work. I got the info from YouTube and here - https://www.prx.org/series/33432-joy-to-the-world so the info could be completely wrong. :D

Anyway, if you open the file (I use Notepad++) you will see a bunch of xml tags such as this:

<title>Joy to the World with Bob Thompson</title>
    <studio>PBS</studio>
    <year>2015</year>
    <premiered>2015-12-20</premiered>

To edit that info, you change what ever is between <title></title> to whatever you want. Follow that example for the other "tags" in the file. The year of the movie is placed between the <year></year> tags. There a bunch of the tag sets that I rarely use, because the basic info is good enough for me. You can get as detailed as you want. Pretty sure you have to have the
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><movie> at the very top of the file and the last line has to be </movie>

Haven't tried to do it with TV series, it looked a little more complicated.

And forgot to mention...

if there's anything you feel is not necessary, such as <director>DIRECTOR NAME HERE</director> you can just delete that line or make it look like this <director></director> Ends up with same result, no data. Hope it works!

@JuiceWSA -damn you editing while I'm replying...
    from your edited post

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <movie>
    <title>Joy to the World with Bob Thompson</title>
    <year>2015</year>
    <premiered>2015-12-20</premiered>
    </movie>

should do it.

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

A'ight, I'm about to run Joyful Bob through again - this time at 1080p and increase the bit rate a 1000k 'cause Man that gal in the red dress can sing!

They shot those things right over the ridge from here in Morgantown, WV - at least the one I have was.
    I'll update the nfo file and see what happens.

If I can throw unmatchables in the Movie library that will work. When unmatchables go in the TV Library the structure sucks so bad they're invisible. I can pretty much guess what won't match without looking so a quick nfo file would suffice until I can add it to TMDB or prepare some local resources. This show will absolutely be added to TMDB because anyone lucky enough to have recorded it will want it in their library. Jazzy Christmas tunes. Great stuff.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Yep, that works fine.

Thank you!

edited January 30

Well, here is a much quicker way to deal with this issue:

Remux the WTV file to an MP4 leaving all it's internal bits alone. Once it gets to the MP4 file delete the embedded metadata and name the file to match.

MCEBuddy happily goes about it's work without issue (and Micro-Balls can kiss my Entire A__!).

:)

• tonyrayotonyrayo Posts: 15 Plex Pass
    edited April 8

Thanks for the info (both of you) - nfo files, not just for tacky ASCII artwork anymore! @JuiceWSA FileBot goes into my pile of programs that I'm going to port over to WD's NASes (they officially support Docker so basically anything already in that format is easily portable but WD just made zero effort to get this information to people that could use it).