If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

File won't play in Plex Android TV app (but will be casted to same tv)

borchgrevinkborchgrevink Posts: 215Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited December 2016 in Android TV & Amazon Fire TV

On my Philips 48PFT5500 casting to the TV (built in Chromecast) from works fine, but not the same movie from the NATIVE (app installed on the Android TV) Plex app on same TV. What do you need of info to troubleshoot this?

Answers

• borchgrevinkborchgrevink Posts: 215Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2016

Audio is played OK, but video shows only a still picture.

More info on the file (remember: possible to cast to native TV CC reciever, but not playing in the PLex Android app on the same TV):

General
    Unique ID : 160172866531983742738569239834596502973 (0x78802C07BF8CA868BD8AFFF7D6286DBD)
    Complete name : E:\Musikk\Kvalitet for øyet\Beyonce and Jay Z - On the Run Tour 2014\Beyonce and Jay Z - On the Run Tour 2014.mkv
    Format : Matroska
    Format version : Version 2
    File size : 6.19 GiB
    Duration : 2h 33mn
    Overall bit rate : 5 762 Kbps
    Writing application : HandBrake 0.9.9
    Writing library : libmkv 0.6.5

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Main@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Bit rate : 5 264 Kbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Variable / Variable
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.191
    Stream size : 5.65 GiB (91%)
    Writing library : x264 core 130 r2273 b3065e6
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=1 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=hex / subme=2 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=4 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=1 / keyint=300 / keyint_min=30 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=10 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=20.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=20000 / vbv_bufsize=25000 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=none / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    Language : English
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No
    Color primaries : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709-5, BT.1361
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Codec ID : A_AC3
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 384 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 422 MiB (7%)
    Default : Yes

Text
    ID : 3
    Format : UTF-8
    Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
    Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text
    Default : No

• ArkymedesArkymedes Posts: 35Members ✭✭

Solved only if you want to lose multi channel support. Plex still transcodes anything to AAC stereo.

Ahh, too bad.

Anybody else noticed this doesn'yt work anymore? (The passtrough "fix")

Solution is: SPMC + Plex addon, then set passthrough mode to RAW.
    That's what I remember is working for me at the moment.

Would love to have the Plex app fixed though

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,044Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@borchgrevink said:

Can you send me a log from the Android TV showing this failing? I'm not sure this trick should have worked in the first place, but I can take a look what it is doing now.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,044Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

The difference when casting versus playing directly, is that when you cast, the video/audio capabilities are dictated by the source device, not the target. So if your casting device doesn't support AC3, then the audio will get transcoded to AAC regardless of what the TV supports.

@MovieFan.Plex said:

@borchgrevink said:

Can you send me a log from the Android TV showing this failing? I'm not sure this trick should have worked in the first place, but I can take a look what it is doing now.

I can assure you it dod work and that the SPMC solution is working :-)

Which logs do you want and where do I find them?

Thanks

Glad to know that the SPMC solution works for now. It's a hack indeed but at the same time a shame that the Plex app cannot manage to do it on it's own.

Clearly the TV can output multichannel AC3 so it's a software problem on Plex App's end.

@borchgrevink said:
    I can assure you it dod work and that the SPMC solution is working :-)

I meant the pass-through trick.

Which logs do you want and where do I find them?

From the TV itself. https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201573117-Android-and-GoogleTV-Logs

@Arkymedes said:
    Clearly the TV can output multichannel AC3 so it's a software problem on Plex App's end.

The current problem is not outputting multi-channel, it's the TV using the multi-channel AC3 audio directly. If you have the TV hooked up to a receiver, the sound should work fine. SPMC is a dedicated video player app that does all the audio decoding in software. Plex utilizes the hardware decoder, which is why you get different results.

edited March 17

@MovieFan.Plex said:

@Arkymedes said:

The current problem is not outputting multi-channel, it's the TV using the multi-channel AC3 audio directly. If you have the TV hooked up to a receiver, the sound should work fine. SPMC is a dedicated video player app that does all the audio decoding in software. Plex utilizes the hardware decoder, which is why you get different results.

But id DID work in Plex app too, up until a few weeks ago. (BTW, on this TV I have no receiver hooked up).

Will get the logs and get back to you. Thank you for the support effort :-)

@MovieFan.Plex said:

@Arkymedes said:

Thank you for your input but I'm not sure this is true at all.

My TV is indeed connected to a receiver that is capable of decoding AC3 and DTS audio streams via a Toslink cable.

If I play ANY video from my current library using the "Media" app from the Philips TV (i.e. accessing it via DLNA), the audio works flawlessly. DTS or Dolby Digital, whatever it is is sent straight to the receiver.

SPMC is set to Passthrough Audio (RAW mode in the case of SPMC), meaning that no software decoding is done. It sends the audio and my receiver can decode it fine.

Plex App for Android TV sends the audio transcoded to AAC stereo every single time. If set to passthrough, the "Your connection is slow" kind of message shows up after 30 seconds of actually sending audio and video fine. I can check that the receiver is doing its job. Plex simply decides to stop for whatever reason.

I do have a feeling that the Plex App convert the audio because of a profile issue with Philips TVs.

The profile does have some impact, but more than likely it's probably the TosLink connection. The Plex app queries the connected device's capabilities, but that doesn't work through TosLink so in this case, it will rely on the TV to tell it what it supports. If the TV doesn't pass along the information that X, Y, & X are supported, the Plex app won't pass through the audio and will instead convert it to something the TV does report it supports.

Again, the difference between Plex and other software is Plex uses the hardware so your TV's hardware is quite important. The DLNA player and SPMC bypass the hardware and use software to just send out the audio, so the TV's hardware is not important.

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    The profile does have some impact, but more than likely it's probably the TosLink connection. The Plex app queries the connected device's capabilities, but that doesn't work through TosLink so in this case, it will rely on the TV to tell it what it supports. If the TV doesn't pass along the information that X, Y, & X are supported, the Plex app won't pass through the audio and will instead convert it to something the TV does report it supports.

Again, the difference between Plex and other software is Plex uses the hardware so your TV's hardware is quite important. The DLNA player and SPMC bypass the hardware and use software to just send out the audio, so the TV's hardware is not important.

I have sent you the logs. Thanks!

Hi again. Did you get a chance to look into this? Thanks

Sorry. Yes, I did get your log and I looked at it. It is direct playing the file as I expected so your TV is just not able to support the multi-channel AC3 audio. Your log indicates your TV is reporting it only supports 1-channel AC3, which doesn't sound right. So your TV is either reporting it incorrectly or the app is interpreting what it gets incorrectly.

Can you check your TV's audio settings for mono/stereo/surround values to see what it has listed. The app may also be doing something wrong if it is told the TV only supports 1-channel AC3, then it shouldn't be trying to playback more channels then that. I will look into this on our end.

edited March 28

When looking at the what's playing section on the server, it says the file is playing with audio direct play on SPMC. SPMC then plays the file just fine with no transcoding.

When trying with the Plex app on TV, it ALSO says direct play with no transcoding, but then only audio shows, the pic is frozen.

Not quite sure what sound settings on the TV you mean. But, the user manual says this:

Playback formats• Containers : 3GP, AVCHD, AVI, MPEG-PS, MPEG-TS,MPEG-4, Matroska (MKV), Quicktime (MOV, M4V,M4A), Windows Media (ASF/WMV/WMA)• Video Codecs : MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 Part 2,MPEG-4 Part 10 AVC (H264), H.265 (HEVC), VC-1,WMV9• Audio Codecs : AAC, HE-AAC (v1/v2), AMR-NB,Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS PremiumSound™, MPEG-1/2/2.5 Layer I/II/III (includes MP3),WMA (v2 to v9.2), WMA Pro (v9/v10)• Subtitles :– Formats : SAMI, SubRip (SRT), SubViewer (SUB),MicroDVD (TXT), mplayer2 (TXT), TMPlayer (TXT)– Character encodings : UTF-8, Central Europe andEastern Europe (Windows-1250), Cyrillic(Windows-1251), Greek (Windows-1253), Turkish(Windows-1254), Western Europe (Windows-1252)• Image Codecs : JPEG, JPS, MPO• Limitations :– Maximum supported total bit rate for a media file is30Mbps.– Maximum supported video bit rate for a media fileis 20Mbps.– MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) is supported up to HighProfile @ L5.1.– H.265 (HEVC) is supported upto Main / Main 10Profile up to Level 5.1– VC-1 is supported up to Advanced Profile @ L3

EDIT: Tried with VLC on the TV using DLNA. Video played fine using direct play.

Thanks again!

Christian Borchgrevink-Vigeland