If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Undefined error -2140536828 on PS4 after update to 1.3.3.3148

Answers

• AlexanderPlexServerAlexanderPlexServer Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

There is still no fix for this problem even after all the 'updates' Plex has issues for their software. It's just the PS4 that can't run subtitles, every other platform seems alright. Why is this so hard for Plex to fix? This problem has been going for MONTHS and they have yet to patch it. Really am seeing less and less reason to keep paying them if they can't get their own program to work right for their customers.

Is anyone from Plex even reading these posts???

• MasterChiefmasMasterChiefmas Posts: 145Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm running into this as well, does disabling subs make affected videos play?

• MasterChiefmasMasterChiefmas Posts: 145Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Watching some stuff last night, it sorta seems like it might be SRT subtitles specifically are the issue? I had a video that has embedded subs that seemed to work just fine, but the things with SRT seem like they have problems. I haven't done a thorough test yet, that's a very small sample size observation.

Anyone noticing similar?

• mepenetemepenete Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Following back up.. I thought things were resolved when I updated but the issues with the SRT files on PS4 are back again. Really frustrating.

How come no one from Plex is helping or addressing this problem?

• I seem to be coming across the same issue on my PS4 with a few different files as soon as I turn on subs it will not load and throws the aforementioned error the files load fine without subs on and this has been a combination of different sub types .ASS and .SRT and different video containers .MKV and .MP4. My PMS is running on a Synology DS1812+ with 3GB of ram so it should be powerful enough to transcode subs I have attached my log files from the server.

• DanLSHDanLSH Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I encountered the same problem with the last Plex server update. Problem still not fixed with the latest one (Version 1.5.5.3634). Every time PS4 Plex load a video with .srt or .ass subtitle it just stop playing.

• zelkovatheaizelkovatheai Posts: 36Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 11

I'm also having this issue. However I am going to let you know that I am having it with video's that DO NOT have subtitles AT ALL. As in they do not possess them. Not that I don't have them enabled. Since they do not possess them, that also means I can't simply disable something to view the file. This issue is also happening on the pc version of plex with the same file. The file however opens just fine in like vlc. So there is no actual issue involved in the video.

I am also having this issue with video's that do possess subtitles too. Just so you know I am experiencing that as well.

• saintbesaintbe Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the same issue on PS4 after I upgraded to a newer Plex player version.
    The same files work fine when using an older Plex software client on my Samsung TV.

Honestly, how can this not have been fixed already ? Looks like server logs and xml-files have been posted already.

• drewsfreemail@gmail.comdrewsfreemail@gmail.com Posts: 5Members ✭✭

I just had another instance of this that I don't thing was subtitle related rather either quality (true 1080p) or DTS audio issue. I would think there should be separate error codes at least.

• SireBinouzeSireBinouze Posts: 5Members ✭✭

Hi all,

Brand new reinstall of latest PMS on Raspberry PI3 yesterday, reinstalled Plex client on PS4...
    No improvement at all unfortunately.
    Videos play fine until you decide to activate the srt subtitles.
    Then you can see the video appearing in the Server/Status/Now playing with the correct video and audio modes (direct stream or transcode), but it then waits for a few seconds with black screen and crashes with the above mentioned error before even displaying any image on the PS4.

Basically : as soon as SRT file is involved, it crashes.
    Extremely inconvenient and quite useless system for me as we always watch our movies in original version with French subs..

I see that this issue has been reported for years already and still not solved. Quite strange for a brilliant system like Plex. Very frustrating.
    Of course, burning subs is a possibility but for kids movies, we like to keep a french audio version for them to watch, so burning the subs into the video is not an option,

If anybody has any "trick" for this issue, I will be a happy camper ;-)

Thanks.

• jjarsaterjjarsater Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This issue is really starting to bug me, and as noted earlier, no response from Plex.

Just recently invested in a NAS and now I can't even use it properly coz of this bug.

• SirBinouzeSirBinouze Posts: 2Members

Heah, sounds like a showstopper for Plex to me. I have TV series with SRT files for french subtitles and I cannot watch any of them... How is it possible that developers of such a great looking and powerful system like Plex do not take this major issue into account and react on it here ? This is not a cosmetic bug, it is a real functional problem that impacts all users of the PS3 or PS4 clients.

I cannot imagine this could be so difficult to debug.

Please PLex experts, help us poor PSx users ;)

• KumontKumont Posts: 1Members

@Sbcroix said:
    I've done some more digging around and have concluded that it has something to do with subtitles, at least for the videos.
    I'm trying to see if I can dig up more information on why MP3's fail.

No subtitles on any of my videos. This debunks your subtitle theory.
    this is a serious issue and Plex needs to fix it. I didn't have this issue until I updated to the most recent version.

Restarting my server gave me a fix for a couple of hours, but now it's right back at it.

• SireBinouzeSireBinouze Posts: 5Members ✭✭

This debunks your subtitle theory.

Well not as far a I am concerned. Very clearly, if no subtitle file (SRT) or soft (sub stream in a Mkv) is selected, I have no issue.

As soon as I select a sub file or stream, player starts, server shows that the playbcak is starting (showing transcode info) and after 2 seconds, the error message pops up.

100% related to subs in my case. Maybe two different bugs ?

• minyminaminymina Posts: 15Members ✭✭
    edited June 24

Well not as far a I am concerned. Very clearly, if no subtitle file (SRT) or soft (sub stream in a Mkv) is selected, I have no issue.

As soon as I select a sub file or stream, player starts, server shows that the playbcak is starting (showing transcode info) and after 2 seconds, the error message pops up.

100% related to subs in my case. Maybe two different bugs ?

I've been all over Reddit and searched everywhere online. Nothing, can't find a solution and now the problem is occurring more and more with the rest of my movies. Both on my PS4 and Xbox One.

• zandrsnzandrsn Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just chiming in to follow and mention that I have plex media server running as a docker on an unraid server, and I too am experiencing crashes (error -2140536828) when I watch movies or shows on my PS4 and turn subtitles on. The files play fine if I turn the subtitles off. I haven't been able to find any fix, but this is a huge issue.

• VolginToVolginTo Posts: 5Members ✭✭
    edited July 29

I have the same issue, when I turn off subtitles it's working ...
    Issue when subtitles are enable

error: 'undefined code: '-2140536828'

• DeanNotDinDeanNotDin Posts: 1Members

@VolginTo said:
    I have the same issue, when I turn off subtitles it's working ...
    Issue when subtitles are enable

error: 'undefined code: '-2140536828'

+1 here.

• psychowoodpsychowood Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@zandrsn said:
    Just chiming in to follow and mention that I have plex media server running as a docker on an unraid server, and I too am experiencing crashes (error -2140536828) when I watch movies or shows on my PS4 and turn subtitles on. The files play fine if I turn the subtitles off. I haven't been able to find any fix, but this is a huge issue.

Same for me, with plex server on a docker container. It was working some months ago.

• flyingdutchguyflyingdutchguy Posts: 5Members ✭✭

So is there yet any fix for this? I'm stunned its not fixed yet
    I managed to reinstall an old 0.9 version which helped previously, but right now the 0.9 version doesn't connect to my server anymore (I thought it was worthwhile trying the latest update once more... I was wrong)