If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Undefined error -2140536828 on PS4 after update to 1.3.3.3148

Answers

• hajduarpadhajduarpad Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1
    Same here. Subtitle is mandatory because of the rest of the family.

• arc759arc759 Posts: 1Members

i cant get videos to play on the ps4 no matter what fix or setting i click. really annoying not to be able to use the app.

• DENIS HOMEDENIS HOME Posts: 25Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2017

Hi, i recently installed the app on my PS4 to check your problem. I confirm i have no problem for playback since i turn OFF the subs (SRT), but the issue comes everytime i turn ON the subtitles. The issue is also happening by playing files with SRT subs ON via PLEX CLOUD.....FYI, all my subs are SRT only. Hope that will help. Plex app is 3.13.7, PS4 firmware is: 5.03.
    Best,
    Denis.

Synology DS214PLAY + NEXUS PLAYER with PLEX = Mega fun on my Plasma Pionner Kuro PDP-LX5090H

• Same problem with mine PS4 (Plex app 3.13.7), PMS 1.10.452 running on Ubuntu x64. Everything is working fine till You enable subtitles. I`ve even tried to revert PMS to older verions starting from 1.9.0 but nothing help.

• dennis.ayaladennis.ayala Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@AlexanderPlexServer said:
    There is still no fix for this problem even after all the 'updates' Plex has issues for their software. It's just the PS4 that can't run subtitles, every other platform seems alright. Why is this so hard for Plex to fix? This problem has been going for MONTHS and they have yet to patch it. Really am seeing less and less reason to keep paying them if they can't get their own program to work right for their customers.

Is anyone from Plex even reading these posts???

It is also happening to me but only with other Plex users, not my main Plex account user. If I turn off the subtitles, it works fine. If I use my main Plex account on any PS4, it also works fine (even transcoding).

Dennis

• psychowoodpsychowood Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

My solution was getting a Fire TV Stick: it will repay itself in a year or three in the energy bill with the saved electricity :)

• DraikanDraikan Posts: 1Members

Are we seeing a light at the end of the tunnel to this subtitle on PS4 (and PS3) problem?

• PiotrUPiotrU Posts: 6Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I started to have this problem today. It wasn't an issue for me when I had Plex server on my PC.
    Yesterday I installed Plex server on brand new Synology 918+ and got on my Playstation info about error. Only when I played movie with subtitles. The same issue I have in my Ipad. I can watch movies with subtitles on my PC (Plex server is on NAS).
    It is very disappointing.

Tomorrow I will install another Plex server back on PC and check if the problem still exist.

• superjuanillosuperjuanillo Posts: 2Members

Hi all,

I just discovered Plex a few days ago and go excited about its possibilities.I have a raspberry pi and I'm using it as server to share all my media with the rest of the devices. Mainly, I wanted to use it with my PS4. I was so excited that I even thought about getting the Plex pass.

Unfortunately, this issue is affecting me as well. There is no way I can play any video with subtitles... the app always crashes providing this error code. I watch all the movies in their original language, so subtitles are a must for me.

I've been doing a little research and found that this topic has been opened for more than a year with no solution from part of the Plex team. I got a bad impression about the whole Plex platform, which is not able to solve (or at least try) this issue after one year. A topic with 89 comments and 14.7K views... quite disappointing.

• awcramer@gmail.comawcramer@gmail.com Posts: 1Members

Hi folks, Im new to Plex and I recently got it so I can watch my files from my PC on my PS4 but I'm getting this error now... "Can't play files - Undefined error -2140536828" Anyone know whats going on here? At first Plex worked fine then files started not playing/buffering properly, kept stopping every couple of seconds to load and the quality of the playback wasnt what its supposed to be. Now files just wont play at all.

• akaguigui@gmail.comakaguigui@gmail.com Posts: 6Members ✭✭

Hello guys, I have the exact same problem and error as you

It definitly comes from PlaxMediaServer as I have 2 servers, and I can play videos on PS4 with subtitles perfectly with one server (windows server) but with the second server I always have the same error if I want subtitles (linux ubuntu server)
    Both install are the same - same config.

The thing is it was working fine before with my Ubuntu server and my PS4. I just made a fresh install as I do every few months, and Plex installed flawlessly. But as soon as I try to play a file with subtitles it fail. I also tried to install previous version of PlexMediaServer but I still have the same error
    I bought a PS4 almost only for Plex and it's quite frustrating as I can't watch most of my files (because I need subtitles). So I use the windows server for files with subtitles, but it's very weird as it was working fine just a few days ago (it was an old version of PMS - like 1.8)

What I tried so far:
    Delete and Re-install PMS
    Install old PMS versions
    Delete the Plex App on PS4 and re-install it
    Check that the same files are working fine with one server (the windows one) but fail on the 2nd one (Ubuntu)
    Check if files with subtitles can be played with other devices than PS4 (works fine with Windows/Web/Android player)
    Check that it happen with any kind of subtitles

My conclusion: The problem comes from PMS when it tries to Transcode hard coded subtitles for the PS4

I can see that this issue is raised since a year and we have no explanation nor answers.
    Please if someone was able to fix it, share it for us
    I can provide any logs you need but it is the same error as described before

Thanks in adavnce to everyone involved

• dankcushionsdankcushions Posts: 3Members ✭✭

@BigWheel said:

the error -2140536828 is SCE_AVPLAYER_ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED which is a PS4 error that means the file is not supported in some manner.

problem is, .srt subtitles are supported by PS4. if i play the same files via upnp they work. it's the plex PS4 client which seems to have the problem.

transcoding (eg, subtitle burn in) should be automatic if the client can't play the file, but that would also be a bad solution when PS4 can play these files + .srt subtitles natively.

• akaguigui@gmail.comakaguigui@gmail.com Posts: 6Members ✭✭

So WHAT THE ACTUAL **** Plex ??
    It's lnot like thre is one person who have the problem
    There are dozens of preson, we tried to help you by giving the most information we can and you totally ignore us !
    How do you want us to even think of buying a Plex pass? Even if we use other plateforms because it means that what is happening on PS4 can also happen on other devices
    I'm honestly quite astonished of what is happening and how you guys are handling it
    It's like no one in your company care about it
    Damn, at least telle us something

• alejandro.bautista89@gmail.comalejandro.bautista89@gmail.com Posts: 1Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Well, same problem here, it's 100% subtitles related, and it happens with and without subtitles embebed in the video (external & metadata subtitles).

I see that this error happens since 1 year ago and plex doesn't solve it, why? If plex were a free platform, but it isn't, it cost money, so, what the fkcing fcks, plex developers?

@superjuanillo said:
    Hi all,

I just discovered Plex a few days ago and go excited about its possibilities.I have a raspberry pi and I'm using it as server to share all my media with the rest of the devices. Mainly, I wanted to use it with my PS4. I was so excited that I even thought about getting the Plex pass.

Unfortunately, this issue is affecting me as well. There is no way I can play any video with subtitles... the app always crashes providing this error code. I watch all the movies in their original language, so subtitles are a must for me.

I've been doing a little research and found that this topic has been opened for more than a year with no solution from part of the Plex team. I got a bad impression about the whole Plex platform, which is not able to solve (or at least try) this issue after one year. A topic with 89 comments and 14.7K views... quite disappointing.

Por tu nick entiendo que sabes español. Macho, estoy exáctamente en la misma que tu... Qué decepción, porque es justo en el centro de la casa, donde mas duele.

• paulboy99paulboy99 Posts: 18Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass Plex Employee

Hi guys. Unfortunately at the moment we don’t have a good idea what could be causing that error during video playback. But, we’ll be spending a lot of hands on time with the PS4 while working to update it to run the new version of the app. In the process we’ll be working with our contacts at Sony to update our platform dependencies which, we hope, increases our application’s stability.

• JimyRyanJimyRyan Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Hi,

On my PS4, when I watch a movie with subtitles, like MANY other guys, I got the well know error "-2140536828". I don't have other issue.

Some informations:

I'm running latest Plex version (Version 1.12.0.4829) on Synology DSM 6.1.

BIG NOTE: With a previous version of PlexMediaServer (1.9.7.4460), I was able to play movie with subtitles on my PS4 without any issues. After latest update, I what UN HAPPY to discover that movie with subtitles does not played any more on my PS4. I have try to re-install previous version who worked, but that don't have any positive effect: move with subtitles where impossible the play on PS4.

I have a fix will be release in **FEW **days.

Kinds Regards,
    JimyRyan

• JimyRyanJimyRyan Posts: 3Members ✭✭

I find an other guy on witch the latest Plex Media Server version does not work and a previous Plex Media Server version (near September ... November 2017 work very well (Yeah, on PS4, with the PS4 Plex App).

This user write a long post here: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/306140/the-famous-2140536828-error

JimyRyan

• AdraxasAdraxas Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 27

Hello, same problem here : error -2140536828.

In the file attached, I find an error : <Playback startTime="20207" endTime="20597" state="error" progress="0" />.
    I use subtitle...

Unfortunally, I didn't find any error on Plex Media Server.log. :/

• dreamernsdreamerns Posts: 1Members

Same here. I'm having this problem for more than a year. I'm using FreeNAS as server and PS4 for playing. I also used docker in meantime as a server and it had the same issue. I noticed that sometimes if you play it on the web and then resume from ps4, it works ok. Not sure how or why, but it's definitely something to do with transcoding. It's terrible that they are not fixing this bug for so long.

• margielmargiel Posts: 1Members

Yeasterday, I also update my plex serwer on Qnap using opkg to the newest version and after that I cannot open on PS4 any movie with subtitles.
    I rollback my plex server to the previous version but problem still appears on PS4 only when try to watch movie with subtitles.