Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

(ONLY FOR SERIOUS TESTERS) Bleeding Edge Testing Releases

Comments

• HufvudetHufvudet Posts: 78Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

How can you guys be happy with "yes, no maybe"...

It's obvious Plex isn't putting money in this project anymore. Which makes me sad.

• keithahkeithah Posts: 1,331Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@Hufvudet said:

It's obvious Plex isn't putting money in this project anymore. Which makes me sad.

It's not obvious to me, but maybe you have more insight than I do!

So Plex is paying for more development? Please stop with the riddles and tell us like it is :)

• MediaHorderMediaHorder Posts: 3,286Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Hufvudet said:

He answered all the questions.

Yes to Q1.
    No to Q2.
    Maybe to Q3.

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

Ok, and you are super satisfied with that answer?

There no 'riddles', I answered them directly. I feel I've done a pretty good job answer every question and giving far more information than is the 'minimum' when I have more information to give.

Why do you feel so entitled?

• jpaytoncfdjpaytoncfd Posts: 64Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plexs habit of charging for software that is not ready is becoming popular. The idea is to get an idea of somethings worth before sinking more time into it. It needs to be farther along then what plex provides. Users are providing feedback although it's unorganized in this one sub forum. @keithah you should really be using git hubs issue tracking and labels to keep everything organized. Separate bugs from feature requests and save the forum for support. That is how a preview beta should work. Your building this for the users. Listen to them.

All that said @keithah has done a lot of good work here and if it continues it could be great as long as user requests are heard.

So if we make it GA right now, you'll be happier? You would have rather stuff not be released until it's perfect? Nothing would ever come out then, especially in the software world.

We've implemented tons of 'user requests'. Go look at closed tickets.

Look, I appreciate the valid feedback. I'm sure I could use GitHub better.

I've considered asking for stats related to buying plex pass and using this add-on for the first time, to see the correlation, but if the number isn't that high, it also can de-motivate to continue development.

My hope is people are interested in contributing and it becomes a community driven project, but it doesn't seem its going to go that route, unfortunately.

• jpaytoncfdjpaytoncfd Posts: 64Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

My point is a Beta should not cost extra. Instead it should be open to users that are willing to test and experienced enough to provide valid feedback. Not developers but those with some experience. How much time do you waste answering vague support requests and asking for logs?

Just a point of view. Considering the flack you're getting from others. I see a lot more "entitled" demands then actual beta testers.

Please don't take my comments as an attack on you. In my experience closed or limited betas tend to be more productive. Plex however is trying to gauge the profitability and value of continued development before an official release is made. Your work is great and we would love to see more of it.

Thanks for your efforts!

The problem is, how do you gauge/setup a community like that? I don't feel this add-on actually 'costs extra'. That's not the intention. The intention is to 'gate' it in some way to get feedback from a small group of people. I think I will spend time answering vague support requests anytime honestly.

Figuring out the right way to beta test is hard, and figuring out how to charge users is also hard. Plex bundles both of them together, because its easy, and I think the signal to noise ratio on the Plex Pass forums is much better than most general areas, like the Kodi forums for example. I've tried to help out there, and I feel like I'm drowning so quickly. The people who can handle it and continue to help out in places like that are true MVP's.

This is a limited beta, gated by a plexpass membership. I've ran closed beta programs before, and getting decent feedback is hard. I understand why Plex does it this way and I'm not against it, but it does bring the confusion of 'I paid for this' more.

And I don't think personally I've seen more entitled demands than actual beta testers, and even better, a ton of folks, like @danjames92, @foghat, @dlanor and countless others who spend time trying to genuinely help others and (usually ;) come from a good place. It's much harder to attract these kinds of folks in closed betas.

I will admit too, I join beta programs all the time to see the new stuff, but rarely contribute feedback back, esp if I go onto the 'forum' or whatever and its barely used. Hard balance to achieve. If you know any small company that's willing to share closed beta tests that were wildly successful, I'm all ears. Just not in this thread anymore. :)

@keithah said:
    Also, to get the convo back on track, I have spoken to the almighty ruuk, and he's going to release a beta early next week.

This build will target adding 'Sort By'. Unfortunately, due to Kodi limitations he's been banging his head against, it won't be as good as we'd like it to be, only list view will have it, I think. Also, we've got a testing repo setup now!

So next release will be on a brand new repo thats much easier to get beta updates, and hopefully get some activity moving. Also, ruuk will be working out of the public GitHub repo now, and only use the private when working on a unreleased feature.

Thank you, exciting!!

• foghatfoghat Posts: 340Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@keithah said:
    Also, to get the convo back on track, I have spoken to the almighty ruuk, and he's going to release a beta early next week.

This build will target adding 'Sort By'. Unfortunately, due to Kodi limitations he's been banging his head against, it won't be as good as we'd like it to be, only list view will have it, I think. Also, we've got a testing repo setup now!

So next release will be on a brand new repo thats much easier to get beta updates, and hopefully get some activity moving. Also, ruuk will be working out of the public GitHub repo now, and only use the private when working on a unreleased feature.

Yay! Next - get the pre-roll trailer support added and, for me, everything else will be gravy. :)

So what you're saying is, if we add that support, you'll stop checking the sub-forum since they'll be nothing else needed from us for you? scratches the feature off the TODO list

• foghatfoghat Posts: 340Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Ha,

I will still be here constantly to see what else gets added and help when I can.

edited March 2017

@Hufvudet said:
    Ok, and you are super satisfied with that answer?

When is anyone super satisfied? There is always something to be improve upon, that's just the nature of changing needs / priorities.

It doesn't mean you have to be a pendatic **** to able to appreciate what is there right now.

I switched from the Plex for Android TV client to using this exclusively as my primary client and I love it.

@keithah said:

I hope Plex Companion support is on the agenda at some point. I'd love to be able to control it from the Plex app. :)

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

Sorry for all the negativity in the last few days. I love this app and was just concerned for its future. I was around when they abandoned PHT for PMP (which also feels half abandoned sometimes). I didn't want the same to happen here.

As a long time Kodi and Plex user I remembered thinking that this would be the optimal solution back when PHT couldn't keep up with Kodi development anymore (even though it was based on Kodi). I wasn't alone of course. They should have gone this route a long time ago.

So I'm just so happy to see this finally happening! Thanks!

• Pov_goosePov_goose Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 for another very happy user.

I don't post because stuff just works for me.

I feel I get the best of both worlds with the plugin; all of the plex features like trailers, actor listing etc. but with the kodi engine behind the scenes which for me is DSplayer for mad vr and other niceties.

• Alain13Alain13 Posts: 36Members, Plex Pass, TunerTester Plex Pass

First: I like this plugin very much!
    Second: Maybe I've missed it, but is remote control from another Plex client going to be added or even possible?

@Alain13 said:
    First: I like this plugin very much!
    Second: Maybe I've missed it, but is remote control from another Plex client going to be added or even possible?

When they add Plex Companion support. You can use Kodi remote software for now.