Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

(ONLY FOR SERIOUS TESTERS) Bleeding Edge Testing Releases

Comments

• mickeldaelmansmickeldaelmans Posts: 351Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yup.. I use Yatse, works great :)

My Plex setup: Synology DS916+ (8GB), RPI3 + Plex for Kodi, Oneplus 3 (Android 7), Chromecast 1st gen & 2nd gen, Samsung UE43KU6500

• keithahkeithah Posts: 1,331Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Plex Companion is definitely a feature thats high on the priority list. Unfortunately, we ran into an issue with deploying using the beta repo, and ruuk left to DisneyWorld for vacation, but when he gets back, we will release the beta.

For those folks who know GitHub and are following along, you could try it out at:
    https://github.com/plexinc/plex-for-kodi/tree/chunked_library

• FlippageFlippage Posts: 72Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hey @keithah just wondering if you mean Plex Companion is in the next beta release, or the library sorting?

I'm thinking about using PlexForKodi, to replace PMP, but I also use Phlex for Google Home, which allows voice control. This requires being able to select the player from the Plex Server (I believe this means companion players).

Love the look of PlexForKodi so far :smile:

• Scott_LukerScott_Luker Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm happy to hear that development for kodi addon is still moving forward as it's the only reason i brought a life time pass, keep up the good work :D

@Flippage Plex Companion is definitely not in the next release.

• FlippageFlippage Posts: 72Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@keithah just installed the add-on and Im testing it out at the moment.

I love the interface, and its so much faster than PMP to back out of videos/sections. So props for that :smiley:

Just wondering if there's plans to make it possible to shut down the PC from the plex add-on, as is possible in PMP. The wife and I use PMP as our current daily driver, and we shutdown the PC from the plex menu. With PfK, we have to exit the addon and then shutdown from the kodi shutdown menu.

The only other thing I'm wondering, is do I need to configure the video playback and stuff from the Plex addon? (Not many options). Or do I set the video settings and audio settings up in Kodi? (Lots of options, but unsure if it filters through to the addon)

Great job so far, and keep up the good work!

• foghatfoghat Posts: 340Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Flippage said:
    @keithah just installed the add-on and Im testing it out at the moment.

I love the interface, and its so much faster than PMP to back out of videos/sections. So props for that :smiley:

Just wondering if there's plans to make it possible to shut down the PC from the plex add-on, as is possible in PMP. The wife and I use PMP as our current daily driver, and we shutdown the PC from the plex menu. With PfK, we have to exit the addon and then shutdown from the kodi shutdown menu.

The only other thing I'm wondering, is do I need to configure the video playback and stuff from the Plex addon? (Not many options). Or do I set the video settings and audio settings up in Kodi? (Lots of options, but unsure if it filters through to the addon)

Great job so far, and keep up the good work!

You set the video and audio setting within Kodi. You can also set audio and video setting specific to a movie by bringing up the osd while a movie is playing and selecting the 'settings' icon.

Not sure that an add-on can take over the functionality to shut down kodi. Depending on the type of remote you are using, you can probably map the kodi 'system shutdown' command to your remote

• PennAdminPennAdmin Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 2017

... ... ..

• jpaytoncfdjpaytoncfd Posts: 64Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@PennAdmin said:
    Another week.. more radio silence. Even the PMP team had weekly update posts for the first year of its release. This project made it 3 months.

@keithah posted about whats going on with him and the other DEV. THere is also a post in this thread from the 24th.

• reddwarfcrewreddwarfcrew Posts: 648Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@PennAdmin said:
    Another week.. more radio silence. Even the PMP team had weekly update posts for the first year of its release. This project made it 3 months.

The Dev team here have achieved more in 3 months than PMP in 2 years. Dev lifecycle will naturally slow now that we have a robust initial release.

• anthonwsanthonws Posts: 117Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've cut myself several times when visiting this thread... since it's so bleeding edge :P eheheheheh

(kidding!!!)

I'm using this on a daily basis and until now nothing major in terms of issues/bugs.

But keep the love coming!

. Win10 + Plex + Emby + HW Transcoding (QSV) | Define R5 Black + i7 4790K + 32GB RAM + 256GB SSD (OS) + 525GB SSD (VMs) + 4TB Storage Space + Nvidia GTX 760 DCU II OC
    . Shield TV (2015) + Kodi 18 + Plex for Android App | Minix NEO X6 + Android 5.1.1 + Kodi 18 + inputstream.adaptive + plugin.video.netflix

I was hoping to get a beta out before ruuk went on vacation, but alas we weren't able to meet that. He gets back this week (and I leave next week..) but I'll try to get a beta out soon.

• reddwarfcrewreddwarfcrew Posts: 648Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@keithah said:
    I was hoping to get a beta out before ruuk went on vacation, but alas we weren't able to meet that. He gets back this week (and I leave next week..) but I'll try to get a beta out soon.

Thanks for the update, any teasers on what's included?

Its posted! Great news: we finally got the testing repo going! Sorry this update isn't as exciting as some of you hoped, but starting to get Kodi to behave with sorting was not fun.

The next task at hand is Plex Companion! Among many other responsibilities both of us have. Ruuk is back now, so next week I'll meet with him and we'll plot out next steps.

@keithah said:
    Its posted! Great news: we finally got the testing repo going! Sorry this update isn't as exciting as some of you hoped, but starting to get Kodi to behave with sorting was not fun.

The next task at hand is Plex Companion! Among many other responsibilities both of us have. Ruuk is back now, so next week I'll meet with him and we'll plot out next steps.

Do you have a link to the repo?

• thruster999thruster999 Posts: 72Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 2017

Greetings

I've tried the latest beta on GitHub (102b). The sorting seems to be good but it does not retain the sort settings once you've left the library or Kodi.

BTW I wanted you to know I sent my NVidia shield back for a refund a few months ago. The Nvidia's output is beautiful on my 4k TV but I figured their PLEX Server was just not ready for primetime.

But when I read about this Kodi plugin I decided to go for it again and bought another one. i.e. the best the Plex Server (organization wise) has to offer but with the powerful Kodi playback engine (which IMHO blows away any Plex Client).

I am very happy with this plugin!

Even the Nvidia Plex Server / Client combo could not handle my higher bitrate encodes (i.e. 35Mbs) and annoyingly resorted to transcoding when it shouldn't. But Kodi handles these movies with absolutely no transcoding, lag, or dropped frames. In fact I stopped using the NVidia PMS and went back to my much less powerful PC (Windows PMS) and my experience is still awesome.

Great job!

So, I have to ask - why aren't way more people using this?!?

BTW I'm a +1 on the remote control / Plex Companion feature.

Thanks

• Fredon29Fredon29 Posts: 41Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@jpaytoncfd said:

@keithah said:

Hi, the repo file is on the second post :)

@Fredon29 said:

@jpaytoncfd said:

@keithah said:

Hi, the repo file is on the second post :)

Duh, I looked at the first one.

Sorry I forgot to say the zip link is in the 2nd post. :)

@thruster999 glad this add-on allows you to watch your files correctly!

Can you explain what exactly you mean by 'sort'? The actual sorting or the show episode/artist/album part?

In regards to why doesn't more people use it, it because they don't need it. :) Kodi, and this add-on, is really for power users like you (and myself) who want to extract the maximum performance out of things and are willing to spend time tweaking stuff to get there. Plex has a great 'out of the box' experience but theres many edge cases they can't easily account for, which is why this add-on exists. Glad you like it!

• thruster999thruster999 Posts: 72Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello @keithah

One of my libraries is TV Shows. With v101 I was able to sort it by 'Unwatched', 'Date Added'. I could leave the library, come back and those parameters are retained. However, with v102b it would revert back to the default - 'All', 'Title'.

BTW I think your plugin should be the default client for Plex. I've been using Plex with iOS, Roku, Amazon FireTV and now NVidia for years. The Plex Server is second to none for maintaining a central DB and organizing content - especially when you have 5 TVs and 6 other devices used to play the content. But almost all of the issues I've ever experienced has been with the Plex Client. Its good but not near as good as Kodi. And I think the Plex Client actually taxes the PMS unnecessarily. Your plugin actually proves that.

In any event, I've also been on various threads in these forums (for each of the devices I own) and it appears (generally) that all Plex users including those that play lower bit rate videos etc primarily experience problems with the Plex client - not the PMS.

The Plex/Kodi Client and Plex Server Combo is the best experience I've had since I started to use Plex. Once you have implemented the Companion feature it will become the main client I use. I'm tempted to replace my Rokus with Shields :-)

Thanks again for coming up with this.