If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Sluggish / choppy playback in Plex Media Player app (Windows 10)

ckiely91ckiely91 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've experienced frequent frame drops in playback in the Plex app on Windows 10. This occurs with HD streams transcoded even to a low bitrate, as well as streaming at original quality.

This doesn't appear to be a buffering issue - more a playback issue. I was also experiencing it in Plex Web on Google Chrome but managed to fix it completely by enabling "Override software rendering list" in chrome://flags. So it seems to be an issue with not using available hardware acceleration.

Is there some way to enable this in the Plex Media Player app also? I know the hardware and network can handle streaming at original 1080p quality as evidenced by playback in Chrome.

Cheers for any help.

Answers

• twiddley01twiddley01 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Was there no reply to this? I have same issue, also interested in where the change for Chrome was made?

• vlangvlang Posts: 1,615Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Is there some way to enable this in the Plex Media Player app also? I know the hardware and network can handle streaming at original 1080p quality as evidenced by playback in Chrome.

I'm not quite sure about the context. But you can enable hardware decoding in PMP by switching to the TV UI and editing the settings there. It's disabled by default.