Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Common Sense Media Ratings

torresplexpasstorresplexpass Members, Plex Pass Posts: 30 Plex Pass

Any chance of integrating with other rating platforms such as Common Sense Media? commonsensemedia.org

This would help in filtering age-appropriate content for kids (the MPAA ratings just doesn't cut it)

Best Answer

Answers

• Brad RichinsBrad Richins Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

Oh my goodness YES!!! So much more valuable than MPAA! I would be willing to pay to help the cost of development if this plug-in.

Not only do I want to be able to restrict media based on their ratings, I want their starts ratings imported in and visible in the interface along with the summary reasoning for each (visible as a pop-up when you hover over the start on their site)

• mrsimonmrsimon Members, Plex Pass Posts: 17 Plex Pass

Another vote for this from me. =) Common Sense Media provide a developer-only API, so I hope some form of agreement can be made so this is achievable in some form. <3

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/developers/api

• bfinemanbfineman Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

A vote from me also. Think of the possibilities with Plex Home - put in the age of the account holder and new age appropriate media automatically becomes available as they get older.

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3,863 Plex Pass

You want Plex to implement "common sense?" What have you been smoking?

Plex would almost implode if such a thing actually made it as far as their developmental meetings. It is just the antithesis of what Plex has come to stand for.

Individual Plex people are often as level headed as anyone but put them all together and the average IQ drops to 50% of what it was before the merging.

• DameekDameek Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

This sounds great!

• famous56famous56 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Would definitely support this addition.

• jaymanazjaymanaz Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

upvote! :)

• corywintercorywinter Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

+1 for me!

• marshallhinesmarshallhines Members, Plex Pass Posts: 26 Plex Pass

I've got kids of all different ages with separate plex home accounts. This would be great

• astromd77@icloud.comastromd77@icloud.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 177 Plex Pass

I like this idea!

• abhilzsabhilzs Members, Plex Pass Posts: 10 Plex Pass

+1
    This is a really good idea.

• sethlongsethlong Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Yes, please

• misticalmistical Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

I love this idea as it's something I'd prefer using in the near future.

• britchristensenbritchristensen Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Please do!!

• jd45093jd45093 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

Yes Please!

• Fermi_DiracFermi_Dirac Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

I'd like the option. Do you need any help from a dev?

• dkulpdkulp Members Posts: 2

Great idea!

• ErTnEcErTnEc Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

A good idea, yes, and even more useful if we can choose whether we use Common Sense Media's ratings, the Parents ratings, or the Kids ratings (sometimes I find Parents ratings much more indicative of true suitability)

However

They only allow searching via Title, and if you include the year in the search, it won't return any useful results. It's a very basic search if anything. I can't even search via IMDB ID's.

I'm not sure how well the API allows you to search, or whether it allows searching to be performed with extra information not available to Joe Public, but I just can't see a way to reliably use their data within Plex via any sort of automation.

• Pip LongrunPip Longrun Members Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    edited February 12

My first attempt at a Common Sense agent: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/257947 It'll add the Common Sense content rating as content rating, and optionally adds their short description as tagline and their review to reviews. You can enable this in the agent's preferences (note that not all Plex clients display those 2 pieces of information).

• Pip LongrunPip Longrun Members Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

The content rating icons I created for this agent have been pulled into the MediaFlags bundle! They soon will show up on Plex clients that support them.