If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

How to title movies so they get picked up properly?

I have a unique issue with a few of my DVDs not being picked up and processed by the Plex server correctly. I have the special extended editions of The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and each movie is divided into two disks. I have copied and transcoded the individual disks so there are now two mp4 files for each movie in the Movie library:
The Lord of the Rings part 1.mp4
The Lord of the Rings part 2.mp4

This results in ONE movie being shown in Plex with the correct full length time in the info, but only the first part is actually shown in the library...with half of the movie.

How can I name these so they get picked up properly by Plex?

Best Answer

Answers

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 10,256Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

sorry unclear what this means "but only the first part is actually shown in the library...with half of the movie." Can you take a screenshot or something

If you hit play both should be played back to back. If i am understanding ( which i might not be ), sounds like you just need to edit the Title.

Logs > https://support.plex.tv/articles/201869908-log-files/
  • joelshortjoelshort Posts: 94Members ✭✭

Thanks for the replies. I'll digest all that and see how it works.
    BigWheel, I meant that although both movie files are physically present in the folder (part 1 and part 2), only one movie "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" shows up in the Plex server. That one movie is only as long as part 1. So as it is now I can only play part 1.
    I'll look into joining the movies and that should solve my issue.

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,866Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited January 2017

@joelshort said:
    Thanks for the replies. I'll digest all that and see how it works.
    BigWheel, I meant that although both movie files are physically present in the folder (part 1 and part 2), only one movie "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" shows up in the Plex server. That one movie is only as long as part 1. So as it is now I can only play part 1.
    I'll look into joining the movies and that should solve my issue.

If you name both parts like Juice said, I bet the files will play correctly. You are discovering that if you don't name things properly, things don't work right.

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

Plex Dance

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: Running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

• joelshortjoelshort Posts: 94Members ✭✭

Renaming the files solved the issue and they now play back to back. That's good enough for me. Thanks!