Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

NVIDIA SHIELD TV and Dolby Atmos compatibility via PLEX app

Hi all - I'm aware that a recent update of the PLEX app for NVIDIA SHIELD TV added Dolby Atmos compatibility. However, when playing MKV files encoded in Dolby Atmos (or Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA for that matter), my Yamaha Aventage receiver isn't recognizing the lossless format, whereas my SPMC app decodes those audio formats correctly for each of the MKV files. Are there any PLEX-specific settings that I need to tweak for Atmos and other lossless formats? Thanks in advance!

Answers

• nlievanonlievano Posts: 12Members ✭✭

I'm going to try and help - no receiver can decode MKV since it is a container file. From what I understand, the Shield will accept the container and send the audio and video formats within on to the appropriate player. Since your Yamaha can decode Atmos (I presume since you mentioned it) then make sure to set your local and remote quality settings to "Original" and set HDMI for passthrough and I would think it should work. Did you already configure this (as well as update Shield firmware and Plex app)?

• MichaelPlex14MichaelPlex14 Posts: 5Members ✭✭

Thanks for the suggestions, nlievano. Will confirm my settings are as you've recommended (I think they already are). Has anyone else had issues with PLEX outputting files in Atmos/TrueHD/DTS-MA while SPMC has done so correctly? Thanks again!

• AndrroidAndrroid Posts: 1,194Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Not since the 3.3 update

The only audio that isn't supported now (as far as I know) is DTS 5.0 and DTS-HD 6.1

All - in PLEX app settings, should Audio Passthrough be set to Auto or Disabled? Thanks.

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,324Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited January 7

@MichaelPlex14 said:
    All - in PLEX app settings, should Audio Passthrough be set to Auto or Disabled? Thanks.

If you disable passthrough, the Shield TV will request multichannel PCM audio from the Plex Server. If you have it set to auto, the Shield TV will send the digital audio directory to the receiver where it will be decoded. You want it set to auto.

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: 1.8.0 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

Thanks, kegobeer. Sadly, I'm still not getting passthrough of DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD (or Atmos) via Plex, but I am from SPMC. The app and the SHIELD TV are all updated.

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,324Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Enable the overlay on the Shield TV Plex app, so you can see if things are being transcoded. Also, you can provide your Plex Server logs so we can see what's going on.

Close Plex Server. Wait one minute. Start Plex Server. Wait two minutes. Initiate playback from Shield TV Plex app. After the movie starts and you don't get HD audio, wait one minute, then close the app and close the server, and upload the plex server log here.

Where are my log files?

Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

Also, SPMC is a client and not a server-client application, so that's not a good comparison. Quite often a misconfigured receiver can cause the Plex app to request multichannel audio. After seeing logs we will know more. My Shield TV + Onkyo receiver has no problems with HD audio (except for the bugs with DTS 5.0 and 6.1, which are known by Plex).

Where are my log files?

• codeecbcodeecb Posts: 68Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am able to play Atmos. DTS-X, and TrueHD files no problem. @kegobeer-plex are you suggesting that the only files that can't be played are DTS 5.0 and 6.1? I have been having issues with DD+ files lately that transcode and my receiver certainly supports it as Amazon video plays back fine. I also don't remember this being a issue in plex before, it seems its a fairly recent issue that DD+ files are being transcoded.

@codeecb said:
    I am able to play Atmos. DTS-X, and TrueHD files no problem. @kegobeer-plex are you suggesting that the only files that can't be played are DTS 5.0 and 6.1? I have been having issues with DD+ files lately that transcode and my receiver certainly supports it as Amazon video plays back fine. I also don't remember this being a issue in plex before, it seems its a fairly recent issue that DD+ files are being transcoded.

The only audio I've had problems with is DTS 6.1, and it's apparently a known issue that was previously reported. The DTS 5.0 issue was something I read about. I don't have any problems with any other audio formats.

Where are my log files?

• codeecbcodeecb Posts: 68Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thank you. I will enable logging when I come across another show like that if it continues to not work and start a new thread.

• danjames92danjames92 Posts: 3,187Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Andrroid said:
    Not since the 3.3 update

The only audio that isn't supported now (as far as I know) is DTS 5.0 and DTS-HD 6.1

Isn't 4.1 still a bust too?

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

@danjames92 said:

@Andrroid said:
    Not since the 3.3 update

That one guys tracks aren't actually 4.1 I believe. They are 5.0. Theres no sub/LFE channel.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1251471/#Comment_1251471

• LedningenLedningen Posts: 23Members ✭✭
    edited January 14

delete this

@danjames92 said:

@Andrroid said:
    Not since the 3.3 update

Looks like it's coming

Added 4.1, 6.1, and 8.1 speaker configurations for Plex

http://shield.nvidia.com/support/nvidia-android-tv/release-notes/2

• danjames92danjames92 Posts: 3,187Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Andrroid said:

@danjames92 said:

@Andrroid said:
    Not since the 3.3 update

Looks like it's coming

Added 4.1, 6.1, and 8.1 speaker configurations for Plex

http://shield.nvidia.com/support/nvidia-android-tv/release-notes/2

AWESOME. Plex should be able to leverage it when this comes out.

That being said, I've given up on my SHIELD TV as a client. Switched to a Odroid C2 with Plex for Kodi for the superior image quality.

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

• spreessprees Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 16

I have problems with Dolby Atmos Tracks in my mkvs. I have some 4K Files with Atmos Tracks. That Files i can't play because plex tell me that my Server is too slow. but i have a gigabit connection and shield have also gigabit ethernet. Bevor i use the shield i used a dune Player. Here i have no problems with the connection to the server so i think it is a problem with plex. can somebody help me? With dd 5.1 Tracks i have no Problems with plex on shield. only atmos tracks in 4k x265 Files

• bradbart948bradbart948 Posts: 42Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just got an Nvidia Shield myself and was having the same issue...no HD audio.

My issue turned out to be that my Nvidia Shield was having a 3Mb/s limit imposed (apparently from setting that under Server>Remote Access>Limit remote stream bitrate). Therefore my Plex server was transcoding everything going to the Shield because it viewed it as a remote device.

Went to the Server>Network screen and added the Nvidia Shield's IP address in the "LAN Networks" field and voila...direct play with HD audio (to include Dolby Atmos 7.1).

I'm bumfuzzled that my PMS won't automatically recognize the Nvidia Shield is on my home network without me explicitly telling it. In my case I am running PMS on a Windows Server 2012 box.

Hope this helps someone...

• dannywsudannywsu Posts: 176Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@bradbart948 said:
    Just got an Nvidia Shield myself and was having the same issue...no HD audio.

My issue turned out to be that my Nvidia Shield was having a 3Mb/s limit imposed (apparently from setting that under Server>Remote Access>Limit remote stream bitrate). Therefore my Plex server was transcoding everything going to the Shield because it viewed it as a remote device.

Went to the Server>Network screen and added the Nvidia Shield's IP address in the "LAN Networks" field and voila...direct play with HD audio (to include Dolby Atmos 7.1).

I'm bumfuzzled that my PMS won't automatically recognize the Nvidia Shield is on my home network without me explicitly telling it. In my case I am running PMS on a Windows Server 2012 box.

Hope this helps someone...

Thanks for the clear explanation and correction!

PMS | Custom HTPC w/ AMD FX-8320, 256 GB SSD, & 8gb Ram  |  Storage | 16 TB Drobo  |  Clients | Nvidia Shield (2017), Vizio M43-C1, Apple TV 4, Roku 3, Roku 2 XD, Xbox 360, Amazon fireTV stick  |  Mobile Clients | 2 x iPhone 6s, iPad Mini 4, iPad Mini 2

TV | Sharp 60LE847 |  Receiver | Onkyo TX-NR616, 7.1 DTS-MA and True-HD  |  Remote | Logitech Harmony 700  |  Automation | SabNZBD+, deluge, Sonarr, & Radarr  |  Server Monitoring | PlexPy & HTPC Manager

• bradbart948bradbart948 Posts: 42Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I wound up having to add IP addresses for any device on my network using Plex. An unexpected consequence of adding only the IP address for just the Nvidia Shield, was that my PMS could no longer access a couple of NAS drives that I had libraries pointing to.

I had hoped the recent PMS update (1.3.4.3285) would correct the issue, since it supposedly addressed issues with transcoding even when sufficient bandwidth is available. But removing the Nvidia Shield's IP address from the "LAN Networks" field (after installing the update) had video and audio transcoding again. Ugh...

For now the IP addresses will remain. HD video and audio on the Shield is a beautiful thing!