If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

How can I turn off AC3 passthrough for Chromecast and force transcoding of AC3 to ACC

kevin.mcisaackevin.mcisaac Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've connected a Chromecast to a TV which is HDMI connected to a Sony AV. When playing files that have AC3 Plex detects the Sony, and that it can decode AC3, then used the direct play to pass the AC3 to the Chromecast which passes the AC3 stream to the Sony.

While this is great for sound quality, I actually don't like this as I can't use my phone to control the volume and I have to have the Sony remote next to me as well.

I first tried unchecking the "Direct Play" and "Allow Direct Play fo AC3 Audio" controls in the Media Server setting for Web / Player. This have an effect and I suspected this is only used by the web browser interface.

As a long shot I edited the Chromecast.xml in Resource/Profile to change to but this did not work either.

Any suggestions short of removing the HDMI connection from the TV to the Sony

Answers

• osztrovszkyosztrovszky Posts: 4Members

Plex please answer!
    @IanDBird

• osztrovszkyosztrovszky Posts: 4Members
  • Jose00Jose00 Posts: 44Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is controlled through the app setting on the phone. There is a tick box for AC3 pass through.

• gerozsoltgerozsolt Posts: 52Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Jose00 said:
    This is controlled through the app setting on the phone. There is a tick box for AC3 pass through.

no, there isn't

Sorry, there is a audio passthrough option and optional audio support under Settings -> Advanced -> Player . Under optional is tick boxes for supported audio settings and AC3 is there. It has changed it seems in the latest builds to what it used to be.

• rickard.andersson@gmail.comrickard.andersson@gmail.com Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Jose00 said:
    Sorry, there is a audio passthrough option and optional audio support under Settings -> Advanced -> Player . Under optional is tick boxes for supported audio settings and AC3 is there. It has changed it seems in the latest builds to what it used to be.

I don't see it.

Well I am not sure what is going on as I have it plus some additional options that you don't..

• rickard.andersson@gmail.comrickard.andersson@gmail.com Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is iOS. Maybe you're on Android?