If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Actors not shown

wdpaynterwdpaynter Posts: 70Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I like the layout and look of the newly updated Android Plex app on both my Amazon FireTV and Android TV (Sony Bravia). The only thing I've noticed is that there is no list of the actors in each movie. I believe previously there was at least the 3-5 main actors like in other Plex apps. This would be a minimum in my book. There are a few actors below in the sections that show their names and "also starring in", but there should also be a short list.

I'd really like to be able to click and see a longer list. And also be able to click the name to see what other movies they are in would be a plus (like in web app), but would settle for a short 3-5 name list.

Am I overlooking something?
Thanks
BP

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• KiladKilad Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I Am looking at actors on the server and they are not shown at all for some movies and on others only one is shown. This is annoying when trying to search for movies by actor and not having half their movies show up. When I look at the source plex is getting actor information from it is listed correctly there so it has to be a software issue in plex.
    I know it doesn't help ya but at least you know it isn't just you.

• wdpaynterwdpaynter Posts: 70Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is what I'd like to see in Android (from Plex for Web). Very strange that there is not even a short actors list shown. Every other app/client has something...

• ChaoswolfChaoswolf Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

i miss a list of actors in android too! please add an option for that

• - NaDs- NaDs Posts: 549Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I made a thread about this a while ago..

Seems strange that it has been overlooked for so long..

Hopefully we see something soon!

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/234879/feature-request-top-billed-cast-actors-images#latest

Can we at least get the top 3-5 actors listed that are in each movie?!??? At least in the meantime. This is very strange...

Example:
    Starring: Robert DeNiro, Marlon Brando, Al Pacino

This is what some other apps have. Most have detail and/or pics

I've never seen any app or anything related to a movie ever, not include the actors. Having a one or two actors below showing "other movies with Robert Deniro) is not the same. I think at least the top 5 billed actors at least

• HRSCRHRSCR Posts: 356Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@wdpaynter said:
    I like the layout and look of the newly updated Android Plex app on both my Amazon FireTV and Android TV (Sony Bravia). The only thing I've noticed is that there is no list of the actors in each movie. I believe previously there was at least the 3-5 main actors like in other Plex apps. This would be a minimum in my book. There are a few actors below in the sections that show their names and "also starring in", but there should also be a short list.

I'd really like to be able to click and see a longer list. And also be able to click the name to see what other movies they are in would be a plus (like in web app), but would settle for a short 3-5 name list.

Thanks
    BP

Hello,
    Your question is about the server side.
    A few months ago I had that situation.

The solution was using The Movie database agent for cast and crew in the agent library.
    I leave you the link of what you need to change in the library where you have that problem.
    Hope helps!
    Check this post

edited August 17

@HRSCR said:

@wdpaynter said:

Thanks
    BP

Hello,

The solution was using The Movie database agent for cast and crew in the agent library.
    I leave you the link of what you need to change in the library where you have that problem.
    Hope helps!
    Check this post

Thanks for your reply, but I believe you misunderstand. I am not talking about server side (or I would have posted in the server section). I have all the actors when I view movie details on my server (Windows 7 - Plex Web). All Android TV apps (Amazon Fire devices, Shield TV, Sony Android TV) do not display a list of actors. Not just the pictures, but not even a short list of 3 or 4 like before. When I view the same movie using Roku or other players/devices they are there.

There are many threads/topics regarding this. Some that date back before April 2016 complaining about this. I am sure that it is not me or my set up. The most important information about a movie are the TITLE, Description/Synopsis and The Actors. Even more important than the Video Quality, Audio and Subtitles...If you are going to watch a movie you want to know "what it is about" and "who is in the movie"

edited August 17

@wdpaynter said:

@HRSCR said:

@wdpaynter said:

Thanks
    BP

Hello,

Hope helps!
    Check this post

Thanks for your reply, but I believe you misunderstand. I am not talking about server side (or I would have posted in the server section). I have all the actors when I view movie details on my server (Windows 7 - Plex Web). All Android TV apps (Amazon Fire devices, Shield TV, Sony Android TV) do not display a list of actors. Not just the pictures, but not even a short list of 3 or 4 like before. When I view the same movie using Roku or other players/devices they are there.

There are many threads/topics regarding this. Some that date back before April 2016 complaining about this. I am sure that it is not me or my set up. The most important information about a movie are the TITLE, Description/Synopsis and The Actors. Even more important than the Video Quality, Audio and Subtitles...If you are going to watch a movie you want to know "what it is about" and "who is in the movie"

Ok, I understand.

I open another post about it some days ago. My question is IF works before, or IF is a feature that never was included on the AndroidTV APP.
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/268917/why-the-cast-and-crew-actors-not-showing-on-nvidia-shield-client#latest

I can't help you with windows 7 plex Web (maybe is not supported anymore on 7) because it works fine on Windows 10 Pro.

@HRSCR said:
    Great news @wdpaynter !!!

Hope this answer your question and you can mark this tread how answered :)
    I quote:

@MovieFan.Plex said:

@HRSCR said:
    Do I need to made a request, in the request section? or, is a feature in working progress?
    I ask you because all the other clients seems work with that feature that is not on the Android app.

Request for the Cast info? No need, it's already on our todo list. I don't have info on when it may be added but it's on the list. Unfortunately, there are a lot of things on that list.

Thank you @MovieFan.Plex for your quick answer. Really appreciated.

Have a nice weekend!

Great news! Thanks HRSCR

Your welcome @wdpaynter ;)

• wwwizzarrdrywwwizzarrdry Posts: 250Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The main reason I use Plex is for the metadata it scrapes. Other software does most everything else better than Plex except metadata. So its funny to me when we're watching a movie or show on Android TV, we can't see who the actors are, or who the director is.

You've chosen instead to give me 15 rotten tomatoes reviews which, even if I was interested in, are too small to read from the couch anyway.

Please get your act together Plex. Learn how to do proper A/B testing and actually collect user feedback before you break anything else. This seems like such an obvious feature to have. It's omission is embarrassing for you.

• Timekeeper101Timekeeper101 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Has this issue been resolved yet? I still dont see actors listed on my Sony tv Plex app or any other android device.