Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Cannot get any OpenPHT embedded image to boot...

sniper_xsniper_x Posts: 31Members ✭✭

I have use Rufus and Win32DiskImager to make these USB sticks.
I write the image to the stick and can see the OS on there, but nothing will boot from these sticks.
Manual attempts to boot from USB or Re moveable do not boot either.

The Images I'm using are 1.7.1......

OpenPHT-Embedded-1.7.1.137-b604995c-Generic.x86_64.img.gz
OpenPHT-Embedded-1.7.1.137-b604995c-Intel_EGL.x86_64.img.gz

I get no boot from either

Answers

• daniel.culldaniel.cull Posts: 300Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

go into the bios and make the USB stick the first device ? there may be other settings which need to be enabled to allow boot from USB in the bios as well

Enjoy Rasplex/OpenPHT? Consider dropping some bones into our development war chest! All donations go toward development expenses so our volunteers spend less out of pocket. rasplex.com

Check out the Epic Aeon Nox Skin for OpenPHT
    Like Aeon Nox 5 and want to donate some money to help support development? Click here to donate.

• sniper_xsniper_x Posts: 31Members ✭✭

I stated that i was manually selecting that as the boot device - also forcing the BIOS setting doesn't allow it to boot either.

• benjaminwolfbenjaminwolf Posts: 979Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 6

Does it detect the USB stick and attempt it? What is the error message?

Enjoy Rasplex/OpenPHT? Consider dropping some bones into our development war chest! $25, $10, $5, or even $1 helps. All donations go toward development expenses so our volunteers spend less out of pocket. rasplex.com

No error.
    Detects the stick.
    Ignores the media.
    Boots to PXE boot (NIC)

• plexburkeplexburke Posts: 494Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Y> @sniper_x said:

I have use Rufus and Win32DiskImager to make these USB sticks.
    I write the image to the stick and can see the OS on there, but nothing will boot from these sticks.
    Manual attempts to boot from USB or Re moveable do not boot either.

The Images I'm using are 1.7.1......

OpenPHT-Embedded-1.7.1.137-b604995c-Generic.x86_64.img.gz
    OpenPHT-Embedded-1.7.1.137-b604995c-Intel_EGL.x86_64.img.gz

I get no boot from either

You're creating a install disk for embedded, correct? (meaning whatever SSD you currently have as your boot disk will be overwritten with embedded).
    It should be pretty straight forward, if your machine is already using the SSD you want overridden, during boot-up you should see an option to change the boot disk. If you correctly wrote it to the USB (I used win32disk imager) you'll see that as an option to choose. pick that, it will install it on to whatever the SSD you have set to load first.

plexburke...

That is not my issue. I cannot get the USB Stick to boot so that I can perform the install on the systems i tried.
    I finally just manually installed on a system using ISO burned to a real CD.

I still cannot get it to boot from the USB no matter what I change in BIOS or manually select in the boot menu.

• raiderraider Posts: 56Members ✭✭

Same problem here, did you ever find a solution?

• benjaminwolfbenjaminwolf Posts: 979Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 17

This isn't an issue with OpenPHT embedded. The installer definitely works if the motherboard will boot from USB.

Recently, I had to turn on legacy BIOS settings for an HP Laptop to boot from USB. What motherboard are you trying to boot on?

Enjoy Rasplex/OpenPHT? Consider dropping some bones into our development war chest! $25, $10, $5, or even $1 helps. All donations go toward development expenses so our volunteers spend less out of pocket. rasplex.com

via Email
    I'm trying to boot for VMware virtual machine.

There really shouldn't be that much of a difference between a physical system at least at the bootstrap.

I can guarantee the USB stick is bootable on a physical machine and when I attach it to a VM it just sits there.

Something is different and yes, we could say it's the virtual machines fault but, It's it hearing to all of the noun standards for such things.

VMware is pretty much the gold standard in x86 emulation and virtualization.

It seems to be related to the USB being prepared as EFI boot. Mac very old (but capable) mac mini and possibly your VM do not seem to like that.

@raider said:
    It seems to be related to the USB being prepared as EFI boot. Mac very old (but capable) mac mini and possibly your VM do not seem to like that.

Are you suggesting that I created the USB stick with EFI boot characteristics?
    I just used rufus and created both EFI and Legacy boot sticks.

I am struggling on an old mac mini with the seemingly similar issue. I discovered that altough my cpu is 64 bit, my EFI is 32 bit. The OPENPHT image available here does not have the 32 bit EFI loader. I seem to recall that some VM did try to boot 32 bit EFI. Whether that is your case I do not know but it is something to look into

@raider said:
    I am struggling on an old mac mini with the seemingly similar issue. I discovered that altough my cpu is 64 bit, my EFI is 32 bit. The OPENPHT image available here does not have the 32 bit EFI loader. I seem to recall that some VM did try to boot 32 bit EFI. Whether that is your case I do not know but it is something to look into

I think you may be onto something here.

Let me check this.

• jasonwcjasonwc Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I had the same issue. In addition to selecting the flash drive with the installer image, I needed to use UEFI boot mode, rather than the legacy BIOS mode. Otherwise, it wouldn't boot. I also used Rufus to write the image.

Home Theater: JVC RS49U Projector, Silver Ticket 110" screen (Seating distance from primary spot is 10' offering a 45 degree viewing angle), Denon AVR-1713 receiver, with Pioneer 5.1 speaker setup, dedicated home theater with black velvet covering the walls and ceiling, as well as a black rug covering the entire floor for maximum contrast/immersion.  Dedicated Windows HTPC running PHT.

Bedroom: Panasonic 60" ST60 Plasma, Dedicated OpenELEC HTPC

Server: Norco 4U case, Intel Xeon E3-1245v2 3.4 Ghz processor, 32 GB ECC RAM with 24 drives (96 TB raw) running Debian Jessie and ZFS (Pool with 2 raid-z2 groups - essentially RAID60) for storage.

Has anybody progressed with this?

edited May 14

I have found an interesting thread on the LibreElec forum.

https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-6602.html

A gentleman name Soli have provided EFI files to get a 32 bit EFI to boot, and I can get the LibreElec 8 image to run on my old mini. But when I try the same with OpenPHT, it does boot as well but fails seemingly half way through with a mount failure:

"*** Error in mount_flash: mount_common: Could not mount UUID=2303-3709"

I have tried with 2 different USB sticks, one is USB 2, the other is USB 3. So there is something in the Intel_generic image that the mini does not like

Any idea?

• SlackR84SlackR84 Posts: 103Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 14

I've had a few machines refuse to boot. I usually just put the img file and load it via pxe with memdisk. You could do the same with an iso or usb stick with syslinux. You can then install from there.

Thanks for contributing but if I told my passengers that I am about to turn the bleed off and packs on, I am sure they would have the same look I have now. What does it all mean in reality?

Right I got it....

Once your USB stick is built, follow the thread I reference a few posts ago and copy the EFI 32 bits files references by the guy called SILO. then amend the grub.cfg as he suggests in his last post, and bingo, an 11 yr old mac mini is running OpenPHT embedded. Now there are other issues but that is for another thread