Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Phlex - Google Home + Plex Integration (with support for Sonarr, Couchpotato, etc.) NOW LIVE!

Answers

• digitalhighdigitalhigh Members, Plex Pass Posts: 198 Plex Pass

@theolympuserver said:
    Hey, wanted to say thanks for your work and share some personal experience

Having used sickbeard, the TPB sickbeard fork, sickrage, then finally landing on sonarr - I can say that for me nothing automated is going to be used too often. Kind of like sending text messages by voice commands, too many hooks needed for effectiveness. It may just be my personality, but the defaults on sonarr rarely ever serve me. When adding a series I sometimes want all past episodes, only future episodes, sometimes full HD, etc

Also I never seem to be happy with couch potato for the same reason. I basically leave it as a metadata grabber / renamer but rarely ask it to go grab anything

Anyway, not to discourage your work by any means, but after trying automation I mostly went to full manual for adding (except some tasks like renaming and sonarr which always finds new episodes without intervention already)

Your project is exciting to follow. A bundle that you could drop in to your plex server that enables Plex playback on Google home would be very fun. Sometimes the best approach for multiple purpose apps is multiple apps. Just a thought. Thanks again for your work

Well now, this could be a great opportunity to toss a little feedback into the app.

What about TV automators don't you like? This isn't just a chance to have some hooks to do "a thing" by voice command - but to have a full on conversation and tell it what you want. Okay google - I want to download all the episodes of Buffy The Vampire Slayer. OK Google, I want to download the latest season of House. Etc. What should it do?

For Couchpotato, I found that the only thing I really needed to tweak was the quality profiles - I just made one profile called "best" which has all qualities available, and then it's set to mark it as finished once it gets final quality version.

• WeeflixWeeflix Members, Plex Pass Posts: 237 Plex Pass
    edited February 4

Any way to tie into Ombi? That way remote users would be able to request movies/shows on my server with their own logins?

it's already integrated with:
    1. Sonarr
    2. SickRage
    3. CouchPotato
    4. Radarr (beta)
    5. Watcher (beta)
    6. Headphones

It looks like it's accessible via API.

https://github.com/tidusjar/Ombi

@Weeflix said:
    Any way to tie into Ombi? That way remote users would be able to request movies/shows on my server with their own logins?

it's already integrated with:
    1. Sonarr
    2. SickRage
    3. CouchPotato
    4. Radarr (beta)
    5. Watcher (beta)
    6. Headphones

It looks like it's accessible via API.

https://github.com/tidusjar/Ombi

Yes and yes. Let me get the google Oauth stuff working and the ability linked in for my API.ai Bot to talk to client instances of Phlex, and then I'll definitely take a look at it.

Had the breakthrough I needed late last night with Google Oauth!

I am delighted to say that I have now finished all of the bits needed to "properly" link a client install of Phlex with your Google Account and eventually - the "real" agent for Google Assistant. With my accounts linked, when I do a test command to the Phlex bot, it properly looks up my Google auth code forwards the request to the target Phlex server, and then echoes that response back to API.ai.

Still need to work out a little with the timing to make sure that it's as quick as possible, but I've got the actual authorization flow working, which is huge. And for the privacy-conscious, the only Google data I am storing or even requesting access to is basic identity information, and even then, I'm just tracking a UID to match up with your API Token and Phlex server address.

The registration process right now is still a bit heavy-handed, you need to copy your API token and paste it into the main server on account linking to do all the work, but I'll be working on ways to streamline this process, perhaps use some kind of rotating PIN or something shorter to input. :D

But, the hardest part is mostly done. Now I can go back to helping my testers get their basic implementations working and finishing up UI stuff and voice responses so I can submit to google as an actual Conversation Agent. :D:D

• kevman95kevman95 Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

@digitalhigh do you still plan on adding cast support? if so, this thing is perfect and id be glad to donate a few dollars your way to make this a reality!

• theolympuservertheolympuserver Members, Plex Pass Posts: 10 Plex Pass

@digitalhigh said:
    Well now, this could be a great opportunity to toss a little feedback into the app.

What about TV automators don't you like? This isn't just a chance to have some hooks to do "a thing" by voice command - but to have a full on conversation and tell it what you want. Okay google - I want to download all the episodes of Buffy The Vampire Slayer. OK Google, I want to download the latest season of House. Etc. What should it do?

For Couchpotato, I found that the only thing I really needed to tweak was the quality profiles - I just made one profile called "best" which has all qualities available, and then it's set to mark it as finished once it gets final quality version.

Sorry for off-topic but in response - I love/hate automators. After starting with sickbeard I never looked back, though after the Mr Orange fork went away then sickrage got wonky I moved to sonarr. Wish I had looked at it sooner. It's quite great. However, I never have to tell it to get anything that is already setup. When I add things I want to be very picky about quality or not depending on availability and the specific show and how much I feel like PQ will affect the experience. I probably use HD-All 50% of the time, but the other half I split between a higher PQ or broader availability (any).

CP seems pretty good, but I ended up resorting to manual additions and the "black hole" rename/metadata option. Curating the quality I was looking for didn't go over too well, but I should give it another go. Manual adding takes up more time than I care for

• danjames92danjames92 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,764 Plex Pass
    edited February 6

Just don't feel like you have to update us on the progress. It's exciting to read but you know someone will just demand regular updates and ruin it.

@danjames92 said:
    Just don't feel like you have to update us on the progress. It's exciting to read but you know someone will just demand regular updates and ruin it.

I make updates when I have updates to make. Like right now, I'm working on some issues that are causing too long of a delay in response between Google and the home Phlex Client. For every voice command, it has to go to my main Phlex server, where I then look up and authorize that command, then relay it to the client server. There, the server has to do a few things, like verify connectivity to Plex and make sure we can see the server, etc. Then I've got to parse out the spoken command, and figure out what the user is searching for. Movies by exact title are super quick. TV Shows by title require one search to find info on the show, and another to get a list of episodes to choose from and decide to play.

A search by a person's name or Genre are going to be at the very least 2 queries, possibly more depending on if they direct too. For a genre, if there's a TV and Movie Genre that match, well, that's two lookups.

So, I've already done a few things to speed up this overall process. Today, I'm working on using the /hubs endpoint to search for media instead of a flat query. This allows me to search the same way for an actor, genre, or title, and just kind of figure out what was being searched for based on the relevant results...with the end goal of trying to get as much data as possible in one search, and then parsing out the rest of it based on the results and other elements in the search query.

But, I've found that where API.ai does have the ability to define a bunch of elements and send them back as parameters in a search, this almost makes it more complex than taking a full input string and parsing it myself.

So, always making progress...sometimes it's just slow going. :D

• halfluckhalfluck Members, Plex Pass Posts: 287 Plex Pass

Subbed....

Looking for a few more volunteers to help test. Ideally, you should have basic working knowledge of apache/webservers, git, and troubleshooting web issues. Major bonus points if you have availability to test during the day (Central time, ish).

Did a TON more code cleanup yesterday, removed a bunch of older/unused methods.

Also, more refinements to the overall speed of the response process - like, if Phlex sees that it's on the same network as a media server, it'll make sure to use the local IP address of that server, versus trying to talk through Plex.tv.

• ian72113ian72113 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass
    edited February 9

I'm available. ShieldTV, nexus player, Google home, very familiar with linux and developing web apps and working with web servers is my day job. I do php, JavaScript and currently .NET (I work from home, so have some availability during the day)

@ian72113 said:
    I'm available. ShieldTV, nexus player, Google home, very familiar with linux and developing web apps and working with web servers is my day job. I do php, JavaScript and currently .NET (I work from home, so have some availability during the day)

PM me your contact info. Hangouts is my preferred method of communication. :D

• Guddeti_HouseGuddeti_House Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

@digitalhigh
    Dude, this is an awesome project! I would love to help, I work with webservers for work, PHP dev for custom apps, do some decent amount of WebDev. Let me know if I can help!

@Guddeti_House said:
    @digitalhigh
    Dude, this is an awesome project! I would love to help, I work with webservers for work, PHP dev for custom apps, do some decent amount of WebDev. Let me know if I can help!

PM me with contact info, Hangout preferred.

And today, I'm working on polishing up all the possible Google Conversation actions that I can think of so I can get this thing submitted to Google for approval. I've got the account linking all spiffed up, I've got the basic responses all worked out, I just now need to go through and make sure all of the places where it asks for more input are clean and working pretty. One of the weird things I've found is that - say - if I say "I want to watch Ishtar" - and I don't have Ishtar - my "fuzzy matching" is now working so well that I get a list of completely and utterly unrelated results, which then inhibits the app from asking if you'd like to download the missing media.

So, work out a happy medium between "Only return exactly matched results" and "return results that aren't exact matches, but might be related". Maybe I'll have to do some kind of analysis and create a "confidence score" based on how close I think a match could be to the search. Fun!

Also, for Ombi, I realized that the API documentation I found was for the legacy app PlexRequests. Naturally, I reached out to Tidjusjar, the creator, and asked about an API Implementation. He thought my idea was pretty smashing, so I've got a feature request in for Ombi to get more or less custom API support for Phlex. Might be a little bit before it's implemented, but it's always exciting when you find out that a fairly popular software distribution is getting features added just for you. ;)

• FlippageFlippage Members, Plex Pass Posts: 68 Plex Pass

Dude. I am so freaking excited for this.

I even mentioned this to the wife, and she really likes the sound of the downloading requests. Being able to say "Hey Google, tell Phlex to download the latest season of Celebrity Big Brother" would make her quite happy. (Going to need to up my monthly data cap, haha)

I'm excited to be able to integrate this into my future smart home as well. Controlling lights, and power, and hopefully PMP as well. Getting some webhooks going to dim the lights when I start a movie.

@digitalhigh thank you so much for your work on this so far mate. And thanks for not stopping. You're putting in a ton of work, and I'll definitely be donating what I can once you release this! Seriously, thank you. And thanks for all the updates as well. It's awesome knowing how far along things are.

Let me know when you're ready for a PMP tester :) (Win 10, PMP, Google Home, have used Git, have a webserver running, keen to test)

@Flippage said:
    Dude. I am so freaking excited for this.

I even mentioned this to the wife, and she really likes the sound of the downloading requests. Being able to say "Hey Google, tell Phlex to download the latest season of Celebrity Big Brother" would make her quite happy. (Going to need to up my monthly data cap, haha)

I'm excited to be able to integrate this into my future smart home as well. Controlling lights, and power, and hopefully PMP as well. Getting some webhooks going to dim the lights when I start a movie.

@digitalhigh thank you so much for your work on this so far mate. And thanks for not stopping. You're putting in a ton of work, and I'll definitely be donating what I can once you release this! Seriously, thank you. And thanks for all the updates as well. It's awesome knowing how far along things are.

Let me know when you're ready for a PMP tester :) (Win 10, PMP, Google Home, have used Git, have a webserver running, keen to test)

I was just working on the downloading bits some more. :D

As a fun note to that - "Phlex" is not going to be allowed by Google. There's some company called "Flex" that they must know about, so I can't even use that trigger name in testing.

Currently, I'm calling it "Media IO" for invocation purposes. It's not a terrible name, but it's not especially cool either. So, once again, open to suggestions for something else. From my interpretation of the guidelines, they suggest a 2-word name. It can't contain any Trademarked words in it, so "Plex xxx" is out of the running. Also, it seems that the words "bot" and stuff like that are reserved for some other purpose. So, "Media bot", stuff like that can't be used.

Aaaaaaaand...go!

• wilsonicwilsonic Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass

How about VOMS 9000 (Voice Operated Media Server & Space Odyssey reference)?

• jeremyrileysmith@gmail.comjeremyrileysmith@gmail.com Members Posts: 24 ✭✭

MegaMedia? I have a feeling this is way pass just being a plex tool.