Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Phlex - Google Home + Plex Integration (with support for Sonarr, Couchpotato, etc.) NOW LIVE!

Answers

• stefanobernardistefanobernardi Members Posts: 1

@digitalhigh said:

@Flippage said:
    Dude. I am so freaking excited for this.

I even mentioned this to the wife, and she really likes the sound of the downloading requests. Being able to say "Hey Google, tell Phlex to download the latest season of Celebrity Big Brother" would make her quite happy. (Going to need to up my monthly data cap, haha)

I'm excited to be able to integrate this into my future smart home as well. Controlling lights, and power, and hopefully PMP as well. Getting some webhooks going to dim the lights when I start a movie.

@digitalhigh thank you so much for your work on this so far mate. And thanks for not stopping. You're putting in a ton of work, and I'll definitely be donating what I can once you release this! Seriously, thank you. And thanks for all the updates as well. It's awesome knowing how far along things are.

Let me know when you're ready for a PMP tester :) (Win 10, PMP, Google Home, have used Git, have a webserver running, keen to test)

I was just working on the downloading bits some more. :D

As a fun note to that - "Phlex" is not going to be allowed by Google. There's some company called "Flex" that they must know about, so I can't even use that trigger name in testing.

Currently, I'm calling it "Media IO" for invocation purposes. It's not a terrible name, but it's not especially cool either. So, once again, open to suggestions for something else. From my interpretation of the guidelines, they suggest a 2-word name. It can't contain any Trademarked words in it, so "Plex xxx" is out of the running. Also, it seems that the words "bot" and stuff like that are reserved for some other purpose. So, "Media bot", stuff like that can't be used.

Aaaaaaaand...go!

Media Server? Media Player?

• acontrastoacontrasto Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

@digitalhigh Are other words that contain the word Plex out of the running? Ie. Simplex, Complex(ity), Multiplex, etc...
    And is Phlex out of the running if also adding another word to it? Ie. Phlex Plus, or Phlex Now, Phlex Assist, etc...

And I also want to add that I've been very delighted to see the progress you have made since I've been following this thread. This will be very useful to a lot of people.

• FlippageFlippage Members, Plex Pass Posts: 68 Plex Pass

"Phlex Media" not possible?

"Media Speak"
    "Server Assistant"
    "Media Assistant"

I suck at names haha

• kamcknigkamcknig Members, Plex Pass Posts: 51 Plex Pass

"CinePhlex"

• blurb2mblurb2m Members, Plex Pass Posts: 102 Plex Pass
    1. SkyNet
    2. Jarvis - IronMan
    3. Jeeves
    4. Joshua - WarGames
      Others:
      HAL
      Samaritan - Person of Interest
      KITT
      Rosey - Jetsons
      Wally - Wall-E
      Leeloo - Fifth Element
  • digitalhighdigitalhigh Members, Plex Pass Posts: 245 Plex Pass

@acontrasto said:
    @digitalhigh Are other words that contain the word Plex out of the running? Ie. Simplex, Complex(ity), Multiplex, etc...
    And is Phlex out of the running if also adding another word to it? Ie. Phlex Plus, or Phlex Now, Phlex Assist, etc...

And I also want to add that I've been very delighted to see the progress you have made since I've been following this thread. This will be very useful to a lot of people.

That is a great question. I will play around with the invocation name stuff a little tomorrow and report back - both on a word that has Plex in the name and "Phlex + another word".

MultiPlex or something like that is fun.

@blurb2m said:
    1. SkyNet
    2. Jarvis - IronMan
    3. Jeeves
    4. Joshua - WarGames
    Others:
    HAL
    Samaritan - Person of Interest
    KITT
    Rosey - Jetsons
    Wally - Wall-E
    Leeloo - Fifth Element

So, I see where you're going with these, and I like it, but if they sound like a trademarked character name, it's prolly not gonna fly. And I thought at one time there was a Goooooogle easter egg where you could invoke OK Google by saying "OK Jarvis" - not sure if that's correct or still exists.

In other news - more work on TV Stuff today, added the call that actually triggers Sonarr to start searching for episodes of a new show.

Also packaged up the Bot I've been building on API.ai with instructions so my testers can hopefully start trying out the actual Google conversation actions, which is where the app will really need to shine in order for it to get approved as an action. I expect that once it's submitted, someone from Goooogle will actually have to set up an instance of Phlex, or use one hosted by me as an example...IDK how that would work, tbh.

On that note, did more work refining all the moving pieces that need to be in place for the conversation stuff. There's a lot of juggling involved between talking with API.ai, Plex, Sonarr/CouchPotato, and the Phlex UI - and resultingly, a lot of things that can break. Generally speaking everything works pretty well, but there are still hiccups in the Assistant conversation that I need to overcome in order to ensure that every bit of testing from a Google person fires back a response, and one that is logical and doesn't break any of their rules. So, good good fun.

Last aside - if anybody out there is really good with Python and/or has done a Plex channel before, please let me know if you'd be interested in helping with this. I could eliminate a ton of the backend work on a user's part if I could set up some kind of receiver channel on a Plex server that would basically act as a listener for calls from Phlex. If this isn't doable in a channel, then maybe it could be added as a bundle to the server itself. Either way, I know that the majority of the legwork can still be done by a single Phlex instance hosted wherever - the only thing I need to have local is something that can send requests to devices on the same network as the Plex Server.

So, if you know Python or Plex channel/bundle development, let me know. :D

• blurb2mblurb2m Members, Plex Pass Posts: 102 Plex Pass

Looks like it might NEED to be two words...

• danjames92danjames92 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,924 Plex Pass

@digitalhigh said:

@Flippage said:
    Dude. I am so freaking excited for this.

I even mentioned this to the wife, and she really likes the sound of the downloading requests. Being able to say "Hey Google, tell Phlex to download the latest season of Celebrity Big Brother" would make her quite happy. (Going to need to up my monthly data cap, haha)

I'm excited to be able to integrate this into my future smart home as well. Controlling lights, and power, and hopefully PMP as well. Getting some webhooks going to dim the lights when I start a movie.

@digitalhigh thank you so much for your work on this so far mate. And thanks for not stopping. You're putting in a ton of work, and I'll definitely be donating what I can once you release this! Seriously, thank you. And thanks for all the updates as well. It's awesome knowing how far along things are.

Let me know when you're ready for a PMP tester :) (Win 10, PMP, Google Home, have used Git, have a webserver running, keen to test)

I was just working on the downloading bits some more. :D

As a fun note to that - "Phlex" is not going to be allowed by Google. There's some company called "Flex" that they must know about, so I can't even use that trigger name in testing.

Currently, I'm calling it "Media IO" for invocation purposes. It's not a terrible name, but it's not especially cool either. So, once again, open to suggestions for something else. From my interpretation of the guidelines, they suggest a 2-word name. It can't contain any Trademarked words in it, so "Plex xxx" is out of the running. Also, it seems that the words "bot" and stuff like that are reserved for some other purpose. So, "Media bot", stuff like that can't be used.

Aaaaaaaand...go!

As long as it has silly references like Alexa, I'm happy.

"I ain't afraid of no ghosts, playing Ghostbusters 2 on Plex"

;)

• SCDemanettSCDemanett Members, Plex Pass Posts: 11 Plex Pass

Can we call it "Media Butler", "Media Maid", "Media Master"
    I also like "Media Assistant" from above, probably potentially less offensive as well.

• jdaniels7864jdaniels7864 Members Posts: 7 ✭✭

@kevman95 said:
    @digitalhigh do you still plan on adding cast support? if so, this thing is perfect and id be glad to donate a few dollars your way to make this a reality!

Same. Happy to donate to see it happen!

@danjames92 said:

As long as it has silly references like Alexa, I'm happy.

"I ain't afraid of no ghosts, playing Ghostbusters 2 on Plex"

;)

Oh damn you. I hadn't thought of that...but you're absolutely right. Now I'm going to spend the next 2x days writing up a feature that can match the title names and adjust the speech accordingly. Oh, so many easter eggs can be created from this:

DAMMIT JIM, I'M A SPEAKER, NOT A VEEJAY. Playing Star Trek.
    I'm afraid I can't let you watch that, Michael.
    Yes Mr. Stark, Playing Iron Man.
    Heeeeeeeeeeeere's "The Shining!"...

scurries off to a dark hole to program

@SCDemanett said:
    Can we call it "Media Butler", "Media Maid", "Media Master"
    I also like "Media Assistant" from above, probably potentially less offensive as well.

My only qualm with "Media ..." is that "Media is already three syllables, which is why I'm not crazy about "Media IO". I guess I want to make sure it's something you can say after a few cocktails. :D

@jdaniels7864 said:

@kevman95 said:
    @digitalhigh do you still plan on adding cast support? if so, this thing is perfect and id be glad to donate a few dollars your way to make this a reality!

I have not begun working on it yet, but I have certainly not ruled that feature out. However, I did some preliminary research into it, and did not find any one "Here's how to write a webserver that casts stuff to your chromecast" tutorial, nor did I find a standalone API created for the task. There are api's for implementing it on Android, js, or via Chrome itself...but nothing that appears to be designed for a sort of headless operation like I'm doing.

Also, still no idea how to even get the streaming URL needed to send to the chromecast for it to be able to play it.

So, casting is a whole other subset of things to tackle that I just haven't gotten to. And while I certainly wouldn't hold a feature for hostage because someone promised to donate - well - I do still like money, so it's possible that a healthy donation would motivate me to work on that part sooner than later. ;)

UPDATES:

Today so far was spent just trying to make things more "tester friendly". I figured out how to dump PHP Errors to it's own Phlex logfile, which makes it a bit easier for folks to track down, versus figuring out where their webserver likes to write errors.

Then, I added a pretty wrapper and a button that people can click to beam logs straight to the Mothership.

Hopefully, this helps streamline the testing process for everybody, as well as make my process of debugging and fixing errors a lot easier.

• saitoh183saitoh183 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 593 Plex Pass

@acontrasto said:

How about GPhlex or GHPhlex..im still on the fence about getting a Google home but this project makes me want to more and more

@jdaniels7864 said:

@kevman95 said:

Looks like we're in luck!!

https://github.com/jalder/UPnP

• danjames92danjames92 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,924 Plex Pass
    edited February 15

Name suggestion:

MultiPlexAlexa

Or

CallMePlexa

• wilsonicwilsonic Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass

@digitalhigh said:

@jdaniels7864 said:

@kevman95 said:

Looks like we're in luck!!

https://github.com/jalder/UPnP

This whole project makes me so excited. I feel like we're living in the future! I'm not a programmer but I'd be happy to help with any graphic design work you may need.

• rossiniorrossinior Members, Plex Pass Posts: 167 Plex Pass

Whatever name you label the software with, make sure, that users can choose between different wake-up-words.
    I switched my Alexa to "Computer", guess why... others may or may not like to do that...

I still want you to integrate Alexa into this... not sure, if the Plexies will ever come around with localized Versions which can do what your Solutions seems to be capable.

Regarding wake-up words, I would like to have something like "James" or other nice butler names:

Agador - butler in "The Birdcage"
    Bernard - butler in the Spider-man movies
    Cato - Pink Panther / Inspector Clouseau
    Alfred - Batman's butler

If you Need a second word, how about a simple "my"
    Or "good old"...

Alexa, tell my Cato to...
    Google, tell good old James to...

Here you go, leave your software's Name as you wish.

@rossinior said:
    Whatever name you label the software with, make sure, that users can choose between different wake-up-words.
    I switched my Alexa to "Computer", guess why... others may or may not like to do that...

I still want you to integrate Alexa into this... not sure, if the Plexies will ever come around with localized Versions which can do what your Solutions seems to be capable.

Regarding wake-up words, I would like to have something like "James" or other nice butler names:

Agador - butler in "The Birdcage"
    Bernard - butler in the Spider-man movies
    Cato - Pink Panther / Inspector Clouseau
    Alfred - Batman's butler

If you Need a second word, how about a simple "my"
    Or "good old"...

Alexa, tell my Cato to...
    Google, tell good old James to...

Here you go, leave your software's Name as you wish.

While I love the enthusiasm, I think you're missing some of the restrictions I'm up against.

I cannot change the Google Invocation trigger. That's up to Google. Has to be "Ok Google", unless something has changed that I'm not aware of.

For the app name, it can't be something that's trademarked or copyrighted. It has to be two words. For sanity and ease of commands, it should be short and easy to pronounce. "Movie Monster". "TV Ninja". "Media Butler". "Media IO". ;)

• lolcatzurulolcatzuru Members Posts: 9 ✭✭

what about just calling it rosie? Like the robot from the jetsons, it'll be an indirect jab at alexa and probably isn't copyrighted.

• FlippageFlippage Members, Plex Pass Posts: 68 Plex Pass

"Filmster"
    "Filmster Assistant"
    "Vidster"
    "Boncho"
    "Vocal IO"
    "That Thing" - "Hey Google, tell That Thing to play The Magicians on PMP"

"My Media Manager" - Could be more natural? Not sure if you can have 3 words?... -
    "Hey Google, tell My Media Manager to play Ghostbusters on PMP"
    "Hey Google, tell My Media Manager to download the TV show Legion"

"The Management" ?
    "Hey Google, tell The Management to play Gladiator on PMP"
    "Hey Google, I'd like to speak to The Management"

Just throwing out ideas. This will be the hardest part for you haha.

@Flippage said:
    Just throwing out ideas. This will be the hardest part for you haha.

You'd think that would be the hardest part, but actually, I think the hardest part is getting all the moving pieces to stay moving so I can work on them at the same time. Between my download client pooping out, Couchpotato magically refusing to do a thing, Sonarr...I've spent the past day just trying to get my setup to gel again.

Well, that, and talking a bit with the developer of the php UPNP lib. He's gonna blow the dust off it and see if he can do some updates if time allows. :D