Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Sync "This media was unable to be analysed" (log included)

noomskinoomski Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited January 8 in Android (mobile)

Hi All,

I really hope someone can help. I've spent the whole weekend trying everything within my power to get Plex Sync working with Android and failed.

I'm running Windows Server 2012 r2.
I've ensured my appdata location is on a drive with plenty of storage space (over 1TB free).
I've uninstalled/reinstalled Plex Media Server, including removing all app data and removed 'plex inc' from the registry, rebooted and reinstalled.

(Plex Pass Account holder)
Plex Media Server: 1.3.3.3148-b38628e (December 15, 2016)
Plex Android: 5.3.3.683

Regardless of original file size or the quality settings I choose to sync with, everything fails without exception after the conversion process has completed.

At one stage after a full uninstall I reinstalled the Plex Media Server on my PC instead (Win10 x64) as a troubleshooting step and annoyingly everything syncs as expected but I can't run Plex permanently on this machine.

Plex Media Server log below

Many thanks to anyone with the knowledge to fix this :)

Comments

• noomskinoomski Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 8

(Removed log text and replaced with link)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1nm2VbcoSFQTW0wb0Fwc05neW8

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,324Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Please upload the complete file to a file sharing site and post a link to it. Also, what version of Android are you running and what device is it?

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: 1.8.0 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

Thanks Kegobeer - i've edited my earlier posts.

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,324Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Can you remove all syncs waiting to be done, then restart the Plex Server and initiate a new sync to the device? After it completes and you get the error, download the logs (server settings - help - download logs) and upload to the file sharing site.

Where are my log files?

Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

I don't see any error messages that explain why the sync was stopped. On your Android device, can you enable logging, try to sync, and then email the logs to yourself and upload them for review?

Also, you can turn off verbose logging in your Plex Server.

Where are my log files?

Thanks again.. Verbose logging is off (read somewhere that I'd get more meaningful logs with it turned on)

Here's the android log:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1nm2VbcoSFQOWM3SkoySUtUZFE

There are errors in the android log, but I'm not at all familiar with logs generated by android devices. Have to wait for a ninja/dev to check out this thread. @MovieFan.Plex any ideas?

Where are my log files?

• j2hdwdj2hdwd Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi All,

I'm having the same issue. I'm on Qnap TS-659 pro II.
    any fixes for this?

I've just paid for the lifetime member recently too thinking that sync will work as it was the main reason why I paid.
    Not knowing that there have been plethora complain about sync not working!

@j2hdwd said:
    Hi All,

I'm having the same issue. I'm on Qnap TS-659 pro II.
    any fixes for this?

I've just paid for the lifetime member recently too thinking that sync will work as it was the main reason why I paid.
    Not knowing that there have been plethora complain about sync not working!

Sorry you paid for a Plex Pass just for this. You might be able to contact the billing department and get a refund for it. Check out the FAQ section for an explanation of free vs paid, and the Plex Pass itself.

Where are my log files?

Just thought I'd test this on my Samsung Galaxy S4 and got the exact same issue. So I don't think it's an issue specific to the android device being used.

Looking back at my Plex server log it mentions that the Analyser has timed out after the conversion process has completed.

Since it worked on my PC when I briefly installed Plex Media Server on it I thought it could be profile related. So with this in mind I created a new domain administrator with full access permissions to my media drives on my server. I then fully reinstalled Plex under this account and tested... However the issue remains exactly the same.

To recap:
    The conversion process runs without issue and I can see the mp4 file being created within the +Sync Appdata folder. It's just timing out on the analysis part after the transcoding completes.

Hope this helps with diagnosing the issue and many thanks to anyone who can help.

Forgot to reply earlier with my Android specs:

Pad: Asus Zenpad 8 z380m (P00A)

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 15,666Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Hey. I looked at your logs and I'm not positive,l but I see something odd.

PMS sees your device as Commercial tablet 8”.
    Your Android log shows it as Commercial tablet 8¬タン.

Can you try going into the Android app and changing the device name? Remove the " and see what happens.

Hi MovieFan,

I've renamed the device to Zenpad 8 (but I get the same error on my Samsung Galaxy S4 which has no weird characters).

I've attached some new logs after the name change:

Plex Media Server:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1nm2VbcoSFQczlqMjF6Ql84U2M

Plex for Android:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1nm2VbcoSFQSms3OGRmTEp2bFE

I've looked through the logs and this appears to be where the problems start happening:

Jan 10, 2017 08:58:50.432 [0940] DEBUG - Killing job.
    Jan 10, 2017 08:58:51.432 [0940] DEBUG - Media Analyzer: Background analysis completed in 63.4 seconds, removing 1 IDs
    Jan 10, 2017 08:58:51.432 [0544] ERROR - Sync: media analysis timed out
    Jan 10, 2017 08:58:51.432 [0544] ERROR - Sync: media analysis of success media failed for metadata item 2
    Jan 10, 2017 08:58:51.448 [0544] DEBUG - Sync: processed item 2 for sync list 15279872, sync item 16472806: failure/mediaAnalysisError
    Jan 10, 2017 08:58:51.448 [0544] DEBUG - BPQ: generator 2 changed state: pending -> complete
    Jan 10, 2017 08:58:51.448 [0544] DEBUG - Sync: sync list 15279872, sync item 16472806 changed state from pending to complete
    Jan 10, 2017 08:58:51.448 [0544] DEBUG - Sync: sync list 15279872, sync item 16472806: complete/good with 1/0/1/0/0/0 item(s)

In android I get "There was a problem with this item" and in the Sync status page on the server I get a warning triangle with "This media was unable to be analysed"

So the issue happens on two android devices including after one of them has undergone a name change to resolve any special characters.

I've carried out a clean uninstall which included removing the app data folder, the leftover program files folder and deletion of the PlexInc registry entry as detailed here:
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201941078-Uninstall-Plex-Media-Server

I then removed all entries in the devices page after logging into plex.tv online.

I then rebooted and set Plex back up again adding just one library containing three movies as a troubleshooting step and allowed all metadata to download.

I then logged back into plex on my Zenpad, set the storage location to my 128GB sd card, and started a new sync.

This failed with another "this media was unable to be analysed" warning.

I hope this helps to pinpoint the cause of the issue.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 15,666Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Can you call up the XML for any movie you have? Then find the ID number in the URL and replace it with 16472806. I'd like to see what PMS shows for that item. Are you able to stream this video?

Ok so I've viewed the XML (movie info page -> [...] -> 'View XML') but I'm not seeing an ID number in the URL just this:

http://localhost:32400/library/metadata/3?checkFiles=1&includeExtras=1&X-Plex-Token=........

Also the Movie streams perfectly on my home network.

edited January 10

3 is the ID in that URL.

So use http://localhost:32400/library/metadata/16472806?checkFiles=1&includeExtras=1&X-Plex-Token=...

edited January 10

Oh ok, i did that but it only produced one line of XML:

MediaContainer size="0" identifier="com.plexapp.plugins.library" mediaTagPrefix="/system/bundle/media/flags/" mediaTagVersion="1481809022"></MediaContainer

But I suspect this may be because I've done a clean install since my first set of logs were posted only have three movies in a single library now for testing purposes.

I did post up more recent logs after reducing my library to three items.

Edit: well the ID you quote is present in the log taken after reducing to just three movies so the 'item' should be findable but... well.. i've tried it twice and a single line of XML is what appears.

edited January 10

I just repeated the steps you requested with fresh logs and I still get just one line of XML after replacing the ID:

MediaContainer size="0" identifier="com.plexapp.plugins.library" mediaTagPrefix="/system/bundle/media/flags/" mediaTagVersion="1481809022">
    null

Edit: I see where you're going with this.. it can't analyze the file because the ID is wrong/can't be found.. right?

Hmm. I wonder if I got that number wrong. It should have worked. I was actually expecting to get back bad data to explain the problem. Let me recheck your log.