If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Best Answer

Answers

• sc.tvsc.tv Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer
  • AchillesAchilles Posts: 1,907Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Same issue as the Skull Canyon NUC6i7KYK with HD Audio Bitstreaming. Will have to wait for them to sort this out.

• vafroggy20vafroggy20 Posts: 161Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@lqvnguyen said:
    Same issue as the Skull Canyon NUC6i7KYK with HD Audio Bitstreaming. Will have to wait for them to sort this out.

That's a bummer - fortunately I'm not in a rush, but was hoping to pick on up sooner rather than later. Sounds like I'll hold off for a bit.

@lqvnguyen said:

Looks like it is fixed!

http://nucblog.net/2016/12/hd-audio-bitstreaming-works-nuc5cpyh-nuc5ppyh-braswell/

• okennyokenny Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 18

So> @vafroggy20 said:

@lqvnguyen said:

Looks like it is fixed!

http://nucblog.net/2016/12/hd-audio-bitstreaming-works-nuc5cpyh-nuc5ppyh-braswell/

Newbie question: So if one installs Plex Media Player, how can one ensure that the new driver is also installed?

@okenny said:
    So> @vafroggy20 said:

@lqvnguyen said:

Looks like it is fixed!

Newbie question: So if one installs Plex Media Player, how can one ensure that the new driver is also installed?

Depends on your build. If you run PMP on Windows, it's up to you to make sure you have the driver. If you use an embedded version, you need to wait until LibreELEC updates to that driver base.

okay, thanks. As I thought. So PMP is based on a build of LibreELEC? interesting.
    How good/frequent are the kernel updates?

Can one access and a command line to run an apt-get command?

I just read that one can SSH into the PMP box, so I assume an update is possible there. Thanks

Its an embedded build. There isn't apt-get or yum if you are thinking that route.

@vafroggy20 said:

@lqvnguyen said:

Looks like it is fixed!

For the Braswell on Windows. This is an issue with the DP to HDMI chip they are using.

@lqvnguyen said:

@vafroggy20 said:

@lqvnguyen said:

Looks like it is fixed!

For the Braswell on Windows. This is an issue with the DP to HDMI chip they are using.

Ahh, gotcha. Thank you sir.

• wesmanwesman Posts: 612Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@lqvnguyen said:
    Its an embedded build. There isn't apt-get or yum if you are thinking that route.

If it isnt update-able, then the answer is to wait for the next embedded release from plex? Sorry if this seems like a simple question, I have never installed an embedded system before.

But I did order the NUC6CAYH just to play around with it.. Anyone mind if I drop a couple questions?

1.) I understand that the embedded version is just a stripped down version of linux, does it have the drivers needed to control all the hardware? IE, IR Receiver for universal remote, HEVC hardware decoding, etc.

2.) if you ran it in a full version of windows 10 that comes with it. is it easy to set it up to launch PMP right from the start and control it with the remote?

@wesman said:

@lqvnguyen said:

If it isnt update-able, then the answer is to wait for the next embedded release from plex? Sorry if this seems like a simple question, I have never installed an embedded system before.

But I did order the NUC6CAYH just to play around with it.. Anyone mind if I drop a couple questions?

1.) I understand that the embedded version is just a stripped down version of linux, does it have the drivers needed to control all the hardware? IE, IR Receiver for universal remote, HEVC hardware decoding, etc.

2.) if you ran it in a full version of windows 10 that comes with it. is it easy to set it up to launch PMP right from the start and control it with the remote?

great questions, I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on.
    I'm hoping to use a NUC6CAYH for 4k w/o transcoding and also with bitstreaming to my AV receiver.

edited January 21

@wesman said:

@lqvnguyen said:

Yes you can wait or try to compile your own.

Yes

Put it in the startup folder and yes a MCE remote will control it.

• vlangvlang Posts: 1,615Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Regarding Windows 10 vs. Embedded, I found that Embedded has better performance in some cases for unknown reasons. It managed 4K playback with hardware decoding on a weaker NUC, while the same didn't work on Windows 7. Doesn't need to mean anything, though - who knows what the actual cause for this was, and it was a while ago.

Thanks for the update, I am getting an NUC6CAYH in the mail today, I'll play around with it and get back to everyone.

• onekmilesbehindonekmilesbehind Posts: 72Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks in advance @wesman! I'm considering that exact model to replace my older Mac Mini. Been reading a lot about the NUCs having issues passing through DTS-HD and TrueHD and trying to figure out if that applies to these Apollo Lake units. The 4k performance even with 10bit HEVC at 4k60 seems to be fantastic.

-Rob

It does as they use the same bridge chip as the Skull Canyon and Kaby Lakes.

@onekmilesbehind said:
    Thanks in advance @wesman! I'm considering that exact model to replace my older Mac Mini. Been reading a lot about the NUCs having issues passing through DTS-HD and TrueHD and trying to figure out if that applies to these Apollo Lake units. The 4k performance even with 10bit HEVC at 4k60 seems to be fantastic.

-Rob

today the Kaby lake version came out, I sent back the Apollo Lake for this model. will update when I have more results.

• onekmilesbehindonekmilesbehind Posts: 72Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@wesman definitely understand that desire to upgrade, trying to figure that out myself!

@lqvnguyen have you found anything recent on the issue? I've just seen reports from last July that the fix likely required patching the kernel but no info since then.