If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Local and synced content still plays from the original server location

kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,324Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
edited January 10 in Android (mobile)

I posted this in the Android beta board, but since this version is now the stable version, I guess it should be asked here instead.

Every time I sync media to my Nexus 6P, the content will download and be available, but if I have an active internet connection on the phone the media will not play from the local source, instead it will play from the server that has the original file. This can be reproduced over and over again. Currently on 5.4.0.715, but this was on at least the previous version.

You can see from the screenshot that the "TV Shows" shows it's connected to Family Server, but the TV show I synced is on the phone (this screenshot is from the local and synced "server", not an online server). Why would it play from the online server instead of local content?

I just noticed another issue regarding the synced content. There's a setting that says prefer synced content over streaming, which is enabled. But the local content is ignored and the streaming content is played.

@MovieFan.Plex, can you reproduce this?

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: 1.8.0 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

Best Answers

Answers

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 9,913Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited January 10

its says "family server" because that is the sever it is from. its's honestly weirder to me that the movies library doesn't have the server those came from underneath if you are looking at local device

it doesn't say "Direct Play (synced)" in info overlay when playing?
    I am on a Nexus 5x and 5.4.0.715 as well

Logs > https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201869908-Log-Files
  • kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,324Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Yep, it says Direct Play (Synced), but then when I open the web client on my family server, the playback is being reported there. Why would local synced content on my phone be reported in real-time on my now playing screen? I guess that's what throws me off, when I switch to my local synced content server on my phone it shouldn't be communicating with any other server, should it?

Where are my log files?

Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

• Kyle VerryKyle Verry Posts: 291Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 10

My issue is with synced music playlists. If I correctly sync files, they will be available perfectly if I'm in airplane mode. But if I have no data (no reception, poor reception, etc) the synced current will NOT play, even though I checked the Prefer Synced Content option.

Agreed that it's not respecting the Prefer Synced Content setting. Now, if it's just sending the watched status back, fine, but on music, I can not tell if it's playing content synced locally or not. Further still, music should never buffer if locally synced, which in bad coverage it still does for me.

Plex folks have any insight here?

• Kyle VerryKyle Verry Posts: 291Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@BigWheel said:
    @kegobeer-plex since you are online it is just reporting your timeline ( watch state ) to the server so the server knows it is playing. if you are playing it on your phone and go shut your PMS down you should see that playback is not interrupted at all

@Kyle Verry really would need to see logs if possible as it is happening. I know kinda hard to get/send them if not with good service. what device/cell service you have just to check if anyone here might have the same and can reproduce. not the same thing the OP is reporting but sound like it needs to be looked into

To clarify, what would you prefer I try to capture? I'll be on a plane tomorrow so perfect timing. You want me to try to start a show with bad Wi-Fi and catch it not playing the synced content? I'll submit logs immediately when I get connectivity then after.

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 9,913Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited January 10

i would like to see logs of it buffering while it playing synced content. but i suppose even if you do have decent service at we least can confirm if is it playing a local file or not

Logs > https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201869908-Log-Files
  • KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 1,805Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 10

@kegobeer-plex said:
    @BigWheel,** I don't see the point in the server knowing that synced content is playing**. It seems to me that it would only cause people to naturally assume that streaming is happening instead of playing the local content. Just like it made me think that.

I did confirm with logs and by shutting down my family server that it's local content being played. I also confirmed that the local synced tv show played even while being connected to my family server, so it picked that over streaming just like it should, according to my settings.

Makes sense to me. You can pick right of on your TV when you get home... It can start syncing the next show when you're done...

The visual feedback should be changed though, it shouldn't display the original server when looking at the synced content IMO.

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,324Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@KarlDag said:
    Makes sense to me. You can pick right of on your TV when you get home... It can start syncing the next show when you're done...

I didn't think about that. I'm not interested in doing that, but that's a great use.

The visual feedback should be changed though, it shouldn't display the original server when looking at the synced content IMO.

Yep.

Where are my log files?