If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Flickering graphics on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and Braswell N3150

zpaolo11xzpaolo11x Posts: 1,232Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi all, my server is a Braswell N3150 NUC from Gigabyte, and recently I hooked it up to my TV screen to use it as a client too, using OpenPHT.

What I noticed is that when moving through OpenPHT GUI there is some "flickering" of graphics elements like the orange rectangle that identifies the focused movie poster. Sometimes there's a flickering effect of the whole screen as if some frame was "left behind" and after refreshing the screen it stops. Has anyone had the same issue? I'll check tonight if even with Kodi it does the same or if it is OpenPHT specific. Is there a way in Ubuntu to check advanced settings of the integrated GPU like triple buffering, 2D and 3D hardware acceleration etc?

Best Answer

Answers

• trudgetrudge Posts: 2,293Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

You'll have better luck posting in the OpenPHT rather than here in the PMS forum.

• zpaolo11xzpaolo11x Posts: 1,232Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@trudge said:
    You'll have better luck posting in the OpenPHT rather than here in the PMS forum.

I posted here since it seems Ubuntu/N3150 related, never had issues with OpenPHT on Windows

My bad, I thought that this forum was for "anything Plex on Linux" or general Linux issues related to Plex, while I see it's PMS specific. Moving to another area.

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 18,337Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@zpaolo11x said:
    Hi all, my server is a Braswell N3150 NUC from Gigabyte, and recently I hooked it up to my TV screen to use it as a client too, using OpenPHT.

What I noticed is that when moving through OpenPHT GUI there is some "flickering" of graphics elements like the orange rectangle that identifies the focused movie poster. Sometimes there's a flickering effect of the whole screen as if some frame was "left behind" and after refreshing the screen it stops. Has anyone had the same issue? I'll check tonight if even with Kodi it does the same or if it is OpenPHT specific. Is there a way in Ubuntu to check advanced settings of the integrated GPU like triple buffering, 2D and 3D hardware acceleration etc?

To the OP point, those questions / settings are buried in the Xwayland server options and not visible from any element of the UI. 'Playing' with them risks rendering the entire desktop environment unusable forcing a full re-installation of the distro.

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility List

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

Hosts: Fedora, QNAP, Synology, most Linux distros in VM

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

@ChuckPa said:
    To the OP point, those questions / settings are buried in the Xwayland server options and not visible from any element of the UI. 'Playing' with them risks rendering the entire desktop environment unusable forcing a full re-installation of the distro.

Thank you ChuckPa, yesterday I tried with Kodi and other apps and there's no flickering, so it's definitely a OpenPHT issue, I already moved the post to the proper forum section.

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 18,337Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

rather than comparing OpenPHT and Kodi on the Plex forum, perhaps give PMP a shot and see what its behavior is?

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

@ChuckPa said:
    rather than comparing OpenPHT and Kodi on the Plex forum, perhaps give PMP a shot and see what its behavior is?

I would if PMP was easy to install on Ubuntu, AFAIK I can only use the embedded version (which comes with a minimal Linux OS) or compile PMP myself, which I'd rather not do :)

PMP is a HTPC-style implementation and is a minimal OS by design just as PMS-Docker is.

If you understand Linux well enough, it's not hard to jump around that and do what you want and then put it back to normal HTPC mode

Useful links

@ChuckPa said:
    If you understand Linux well enough, it's not hard to jump around that and do what you want and then put it back to normal HTPC mode

So if I get it right, I can put the PMP embedded image on an USB stick and boot from that to test PMP, but then the issue is that on the same machine there should be the PMS running under ubuntu :/

hold up there.

First your speaking of an issue with OpenPHT. PMP is suggested and that you can take it apart and put it on a normal Ubuntu distro.
    Now you're asserting, having said nothing about actually attempting anything, it's doing that too?

Kindly clarify your logic?

Useful links

@ChuckPa said:
    First your speaking of an issue with OpenPHT. PMP is suggested and that you can take it apart and put it on a normal Ubuntu distro.

Oh so when you say I can "jump around that and do what you want and then put it back to normal HTPC mode" you were referring to PMP. I didn't get it.
    BTW I don't think I have the competence and/or time to do this trick. Is there some guide somewhere to help me get kickstarted?

PS: The original issue being OpenPHT related all this discussion is slightly off topic, but still interesting, I'd like to be able to use PMP on my Ubuntu machine