Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Resolution or bitrate exceeds maximum allowed - Video transcoded

LugdumLugdum Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello,

Was there any update on the Android TV app related to maximum bitrate management?
Some of my movies are getting transcoded because they exceed the maximum bitrate allowed. I think it was not happening few days ago. It also gets transcoded if the Direct Play is forced, which is really annoying !

Here is an example of file on which this is happening :
Codec HEVC
Bitrate 9416 kbps
Bit Depth 8
Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
Color Range tv
Color Space bt709
Frame Rate 23.976 fps
Height 960
Level 12.0
Profile main
Ref Frames 1
Width 1920

I believe that this video could easily be played by Shield TV and does not need any video transcoding.

I could not find any option to change that maximum bitrate limit.

My Plex Server is on Ubuntu 16.04, version 1.3.3.3148 and my player in on NVIDIA Shield TV.

Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• LugdumLugdum Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Well that was easy :-) Thanks it worked fine. Weird though I don't think that I changed that value recently.

• NytefallNytefall Posts: 39Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi there,

i'd like to join this thread .. just received my Android TV box yesterday, and first thing i noticed, was the reduced qualtiy due to downscaling.

Info told me, it was transcoded, cause of maximum bitrate limit of 1000kb. Local/Remote Quality was set to Original.
    Turned out, my Plex thought, the Box was running outside my network, so it limited it to my inet-upload bandwidth i set to 1mb

I had resetted this settting and was back to direct streaming in full quality.

I need to investigate this a little further .. it may have used the re-route through my external IP to get to that conclusion.. however, it did -not- stream up- and -down through the internet.

nyte

• trudgetrudge Posts: 2,258Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

sounds like your server was not connected at all and your connection was via Plex Relay.

also sounds likely your router is not setup for dns rebinding.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/206225077-How-to-Use-Secure-Server-Connections

• DukedtdDukedtd Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi,

Since I updated my Plex Android TV app on my Sony 4K TV to version 6.1.1.656 on June 20 2017, it stopped playing 4K content at full 4K resolution but at a downscaled 1080p resolution saying that my resolution or bit rate exceeds the maximum.

My video settings are set at Maximum (Original) and I have a secured connection to my Plex server. The same content played at a full 4K resolution before this version.

Can you please investigate or provide a solution to this issue? Can I downgrade to the previous version on my Sony Android TV? If so do you have instructions to do so.

Thanks in advance for the help.

• danjames92danjames92 Posts: 3,200Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 23

None of us are developers so no we cannot investigate.

Just download the previous apk from the release notes thread then sideload it.

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

• KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 1,735Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 24

@Dukedtd said:
    Hi,

Since I updated my Plex Android TV app on my Sony 4K TV to version 6.1.1.656 on June 20 2017, it stopped playing 4K content at full 4K resolution but at a downscaled 1080p resolution saying that my resolution or bit rate exceeds the maximum.

My video settings are set at Maximum (Original) and I have a secured connection to my Plex server. The same content played at a full 4K resolution before this version.

Can you please investigate or provide a solution to this issue? Can I downgrade to the previous version on my Sony Android TV? If so do you have instructions to do so.

Thanks in advance for the help.

@danjames92 said:
    None of us are developers so no we cannot investigate.

Just download the previous apk from the release notes thread then sideload it.

Pretty much. And gather logs from both the server and app for devs/ninjas to look at.

Also make sure you didn't set a max bitrate limit in your server settings, that could trigger a transcode.

• mata7mata7 Posts: 19Members ✭✭

Im having the same transcoding problem on nvidia shield, all my setting are at maximum, never have this problem before this happen after the last update

@mata7 said:
    Im having the same transcoding problem on nvidia shield, all my setting are at maximum, never have this problem before this happen after the last update

Logs?

• mshemshe Posts: 237Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 12

@mata7 said:

I'm having the same problem as well - Video Quality is set to Orignal but yet Plex is still transcoding 4K content.

I just bought an nVidia shield specifically for 4K content... bummer.

• gearchrunchergearchruncher Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is bug in the latest versions of the player. If you go back and uninstall all updates, the stock version of the plex app on the shield would direct play these videos. The hardware is capable.

• AndrroidAndrroid Posts: 1,194Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@gearchruncher said:
    This is bug in the latest versions of the player. If you go back and uninstall all updates, the stock version of the plex app on the shield would direct play these videos. The hardware is capable.

Moreover, its a known bug. Devs are looking into it.

• gearchrunchergearchruncher Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

If people are wanting to work around this, it's only in the latest version, 6.1.2.812. If you go and sideload 6.1.1.656 then it works fine.

• jfgillespiejfgillespie Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Is this problem linked to the "Conversion failed. The transcoder crashes or failed to start up..."
    Had nVidia Shield TV for 10 months and never had this problem before. Now have both of these issues.
    Plex client is version 6.2.0 (July 12 update).
    Could someone tell me how to sideload older client?

Roll back seems the only way to resolve this very annoying issue.
    I have rolled back to the following and everything now seems to work perfectly.

• Plex Media Server v1.5.7.4016 (uninstall latest version and install old version. All settings/media libraries are kept).
    • Plex client for nVidia Shield v5.6.1.505 (Uninstall all updated. This is the base factory install of Plex on current version of nVidia Shield Android OS)
  • yegleyegle Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

/sub

Noticed this issue today with my new Nvidia Shield. All videos except for 4k content are direct play.

CHAPTERS ARE WORKING AGAIN!!!
    Great side effect of rolling back to previous version of Plex Client and Server (see my previous post).
    In fact, everything works. No downside of rolling back at all.

• dancohdancoh Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

What the!!! Why the hell is my Nvidia Shield all of a sudden not able to directplay 4K content? Bitrate or resolution too high.
    That means that my 4K HDR content is transcoded and therefore HDR is removed. Way to go!
    This just happened. It worked fine a couple of days ago.
    PLEX fix this immediately!

@dancoh said:
    What the!!! Why the hell is my Nvidia Shield all of a sudden not able to directplay 4K content? Bitrate or resolution too high.
    That means that my 4K HDR content is transcoded and therefore HDR is removed. Way to go!
    This just happened. It worked fine a couple of days ago.
    PLEX fix this immediately!

Just rollback your app for now...

• syswinssyswins Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

After downgrading to Version 1.5.3.3580 no more transcoding